Barclay James Harvest - known in USA or not?

I was just wondering if Barclay James Harvest were well known in the USA, as I seem to be the only one that ver mentions them. I have over 20 of their albums and I have seen them live at least 10 times, just curious to see if I'm the only one or if there are more fans out there.

Edited by joe (Liverpool)

they called themselves "the poor mans moody blues", Christ if they are the reason shit........sorry punk came along I will stop listening to them myself!!!!!

They were part of the bearded,long haired generation that the Punks hated so much. File under: Gatefold concept albums, ELP, Genesis, Yes ( who funnily enough i am listening to as I type - Great LP The Yes Album) Gentle Giant........ Contd P94

Punks allegedly hated anybody who played real music saying that they had sold out to the establishment, and whom was the most forthright in those views.....a certain John Lydon....What a HYPOCRITICAL BASTARD he turned out to be, then he formed PIL and they were even worse than the sex pistols, but at least the bass player could play. Still at least Lydon can return to advertising butter on the television... like wow, how anti-establishment is that?

Edited by joe (Liverpool)

On the Johnny Rotten tip, Conan O'Brien shared a great anecdote about him on his show the other night when Gregg Allman was a guest. For those that missed it, you can watch it here:

eiee.jpg

Back on topic...yes, Barclay James Harvest are known in the U.S. I have the album depicted above. They also get played on the Deep Tracks channel on XM/Sirius quite a bit.

I had a 4 or 5 of their albums back in the 70s, Octoberon, A double live album, the one with Poor man's Moody Blues, Lepidoptera?...a couple of others I can't remember the names of....A group of us had tickets to go and see them at the Liverpool Empire on the Lepidoptera? tour, but we couldn't be arsed going, went to the pub instead....They were one of those Bands that were sort of like flavour of the year but since then I have not listened to them.

Edited by johnthomasmoby

Beer vs. BJH? You made the right choice. :beer::)

Thank Saint Iggy for punk rock coming along and showing all those creaky, hoary, bearded tossers for the aimless and bland noodlers they were.

Edited by Strider

Well it wouldn't have been the first time he or his band members got attacked by rednecks.

I wouldn't call the Allman Brothers Band "rednecks". Just because someone is from the Southern U.S., it doesn't make them a redneck.

Anyway Mr Lydon should've stood his ground. If Allman's demeanour in that clip is anything to go by, he & his buddy probably couldn't have knocked the skin off a rice pudding.

He never would have stood his ground because he's a motherfucking pussy. They would have wiped the floor with his punk ass.

The Allman Brothers Band were never guilty of the glitz and excess that punk rock was a reaction to. They were, and still are, about as no frills as it comes when it comes to rock n' roll, except for in the virtuosity department.

The Allman Brothers Band were never guilty of the glitz and excess that punk rock was a reaction to. They were, and still are, about as no frills as it comes when it comes to rock n' roll, except for in the virtuosity department.

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to the Allman Brothers when I mentioned the punks being a necessary reaction to the hairy musos clogging the scene. I was talking about bands like BJH, Kansas, Genesis, ELP, Uriah Heep, Jefferson Starship, Chicago, Deep Purple and plenty others who had overstayed their welcome.

Edited by Strider