BB King, recent concerts

JuliaFinch

I bought the tickets to see BB King on July 12th, in Milan! I love him and bluse music in general. Did anyone see him in the last few years? If you did, what impression did you have? Which songs is he playing at the moment?

Bad comments on BB King...they are in german, maybe you can translate a bit. :)

http://www.eventim.de/b-b-king-in-frankfurt-tickets.html?affiliate=EVE&doc=artistPages%2Ftickets&fun=artist&action=tickets&erid=347855&xtcr=1&xtmc=bb+king

My neighbour saw him a few years ago, and it wasn't that brilliant...very short concert. But hey, the guy is 85, right?

Short translation:

They say that he talks more than making music, and that he reminds people of the nice grandpa next door, and his performance is very short, but it is odd to see him stop the music halfway through a song to tell a joke.

Also they say that opening band is amazing, BB also has a very impressive band, and the people agree that it is an honor to still see him play.

I read some reviews of his new album, Live at the Royal Albert Hall, saying it's mostly the other musicians: Susan Tedeschi, Slash... doing the music while he plays little, which is not a bad thing but can't compare to his earlier performances from even the nineties.

I saw him about a year and a half ago. Reswati's comments describe things pretty well. I saw him many years ago and a friend of mine who saw him several times in recent years. Back then, he talked a lot but he played a lot and it was wonderful to see and hear him play. The last time I saw him, he mostly talked and he played a little bit on a lot of songs. My friend noted that he seemed to gradually play less and talk more as time went on.

I can't begrudge him a note though. He is, and was, a legend. He's in his 80s and has diabetes... it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that he has neuropathy in his fingers which could make playing very difficult and/or painful.

*please note... the diabetes is known fact, the rest of that sentence is my opinion and supposition*

So, JuliaFinch... have fun and enjoy the concert!!

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody! Finally I saw BBKing on July, 12th. It's been a wonderful night! They played for nearly one hour and a half, with songs including Rock Me Baby, Every day (I have the blues), The Thrill Is Gone... He was at the race-course of Milan, a nice place, I had never been there before. There were many young people, and also saw some cool guys with a LZ t-shirt!

I hardly admit it, but it was my first "serious" concert, so I was super-excited! I was sipping a big pint of beer when he appeared on stage with a light-blue and purple shirt and a huge smile...

Like someone said before, it's true that he seems to talk a lot instead of playing (he used to laugh a lot at the cloud of mosquitos that there was on stage, and suddenly he also called for someone to bring him some spray!). He was so funny, and really a legend, of course.

I wish he will return to Italy in a short time, it's been the best birthday present of all.

• 2 years later...

God bless him and I wish B.B. King well with his health, but I will never go see him in concert again. The last two times were decidedly awful and I don't want to completely obliterate the good memories I have of his earlier concerts.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived