The Pinky

Come on, now. He was wearing a splint. Rehearsals were cancelled. He talked about how the lost rehearsals probably prevented them from writing any new material the way he thought they would. People observed that he was avoiding using his pinky during the performance. It was not a conspiracy.

Arriving with his left hand discreetly lodged in his trouser pocket, the grey-haired musician at first seemed reluctant to be drawn on the subject.

Eventually, though, a bandaged pinky

was revealed and the reason behind it - a tumble he had taken while walking in his garden a week ago.

"I happened to trip over a stone slab," he revealed. "I didn't just come down on my hand, I came down on other parts of my body as well.

"But of course, it was the hand that had a bit of an injury to it."

Had it happened to his right hand, he added, he "might have got away with it".

"It's the last thing I would have wanted to happen to anybody, let alone me," he said.

"All I can do is convey my apologies to the fans and anyone who has been inconvenienced."

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7080618

If he wasn't favoring the finger, why cut the solo in Stairway short? He appeared be to trying to avoid having to use it, why do that unless there really was a reason? I don't think he would intentionally sabotage the performance to keep up appearances.

He's not that smart, and we're not that stupid.

He's not that smart, and we're not that stupid.

Now come on, Jimmy's definitely smart enough, and there's plenty of people around here who are that stupid....

Back to topic... I think from what I heard he was trying to rest the finger through the gig, that's why guitar histrionics were at a minimum...

I think his finger was really hurt:

I've just been watching a video clip of IMTOD and there's a part that he used to play with his little finger (the slide is on his ring finger) where Plant sings "...St. Peter..."

Guitarists will know the bit I mean - barre at the 5th fret with the index finger, little finger up to the 8th on the top two strings, then the 7th (keeping the barre in place).

Anyway...

...from the clip I just saw it looked very much like he swiftly pocketed the slide & played that part using his ring finger instead of his little finger.

That's a very awkward move to be making if there isn't a good reason - to me that suggests that he was saving his little finger.

Just an observation & YMMV, but that seems a clear indication that his finger injury was genuine after all.

Or merely a ruse to get more practice time. Honestly, I think they needed more practice.

Fine by me. Actually I hope it was a cover-story....I like the idea that they would care that much to lie about it.

If they actually needed more time, and decided to use an injury or other misadventure to cover it up, why choose something that makes Jimmy look clumsy? Why not something non-specific such as an 'illness', without specifying who is ill? Or blame something else...

The fact that people think up this stuff is a testament to the 'myth' which surrounds Led Zeppelin

Archived