Bring out your dead!

joe (Liverpool)

I'm not sure if I understand the question but I'll give it a shot. Years ago I accidentally taped over an appearance by R.E.M. on the local radio show East Coast Live with Allan Handleman. This was back when the only albums they had out were Murmur and the Chronic Town EP and I was still fairly new to them. It was also the first time I'd ever heard anything from Chronic Town which, in addition to the interview itself, is why I taped it. For years I've been in search of a copy of the interview but haven't had any luck. Even the host of the show wasn't rolling tape that night.

In the 90s, I had a sampler CD from Interscope Records called Catch A Buzz with tracks from Marilyn Manson (well before he hit big), Sausage (a reunion of the 1988 lineup of Primus, with Les Claypool's unmistakable sound), The Reverend Horton Heat, Pop Will Eat Itself doing Ich Bin Ein Auslander (which sampled/ripped-off the beat from Kashmir)

EDIT! Just found it on Amazon!

Here's the track list:

1. Money Drunk - Cop Shoot Cop

2. I Can't Surf - The Reverend Horton Heat

3. Get Your Gunn (Censored For Tenevision) - Marilyn Manson

4. Delivery - Compulsion

5. Toys 1988 - Sausage

6. Ich Bin Ein Auslander - Pop Will Eat Itself

7. The Buddha - Motocaster

8. Backslider - Toadies

9. Wilma's Rainbow - Helmet

Definitely going to see if I can order one while I've got it pulled up.

It was one of my favorite CDs in the 90s, almost every tune was awesome.

Toadies doing Backslider was so cool.

And the Marilyn Manson track is exceptionally legit.

If you ever stumble upon it in a pawn shop, used CD store or garage sale, it's worth buying.

Compulsion - Delivery

Toadies - Backslider

Pop Will Eat Itself - Ich Bin Ein Auslander

Marilyn Manson - Get Your Gunn

^ I thought Joe was talking about tapes? No matter.

My bad, I just saw "bought" and thought of that CD.

Apologies - not trying to derail the thread before it even gets started.

I've just glanced through my box of cassettes and some I haven't even listened to.Others I have listened to a lot years ago;

A tape I did for my friends wedding (I was the only one with a decent Hi Fi) so I had to dismantle it and take it to his house. I borrowed some singles that were in the charts at the time. Here are a few.... Billy Joel -Movin' Out, Jilted John - Jilted John, Stranglers - Nice n Sleazy, Syd Vicious - My Way, Boomtown rats - Like Clockwork, Plastique Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi, Ian Dury - Wot A Waste, they are the most recogniseable.I also found two tapes out of their boxes entitled Out Now!! on Zou TV2, no indication as to what is on it but its dated 1985 Chrysalis Records Ltd MCA. Then I found Toto - IV, Ultravox - Rage in Eden,Jefferson Airplane - Long John Silver 1972, Khan - Space Shanty 1972. I also have a Bob Dylan Tape titled "Real Live" I don't know where it was recorded but these are the tracks on it: Highway 61 Revisited, Maggie's Farm, I and I, License to Kill, It Aint Me Babe, Tangled Up In Blue,Masters of War, Ballad Of A Thin Man, Girl From The North Country,and Tombstone Blues. All I have written on it is 1984. I gave it a listen and the quality is excellent. I also have a Dylan Out-Takes album with a very slow version of Idiot Wind.

I've just glanced through my box of cassettes and some I haven't even listened to.Others I have listened to a lot years ago;

A tape I did for my friends wedding (I was the only one with a decent Hi Fi) so I had to dismantle it and take it to his house. I borrowed some singles that were in the charts at the time. Here are a few.... Billy Joel -Movin' Out, Jilted John - Jilted John, Stranglers - Nice n Sleazy, Syd Vicious - My Way, Boomtown rats - Like Clockwork, Plastique Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi, Ian Dury - Wot A Waste, they are the most recogniseable.I also found two tapes out of their boxes entitled Out Now!! on Zou TV2, no indication as to what is on it but its dated 1985 Chrysalis Records Ltd MCA. Then I found Toto - IV, Ultravox - Rage in Eden,Jefferson Airplane - Long John Silver 1972, Khan - Space Shanty 1972. I also have a Bob Dylan Tape titled "Real Live" I don't know where it was recorded but these are the tracks on it: Highway 61 Revisited, Maggie's Farm, I and I, License to Kill, It Aint Me Babe, Tangled Up In Blue,Masters of War, Ballad Of A Thin Man, Girl From The North Country,and Tombstone Blues. All I have written on it is 1984. I gave it a listen and the quality is excellent. I also have a Dylan Out-Takes album with a very slow version of Idiot Wind.

Dylan's Real Live was his 1984 official release live album recorded I think in Italy.

I can't "Bring Out My Dead" because just last week I cleared out my attic (so the insulation could be improved) Up there were 500 plus audio cassettes, over 300 video cassettes.

Although a lot of them contained some real gems they all got taken to the nearest recycling centre. As I no longer have the equipment to play them on (Over ten years since I had an audio cassette player, five or more a video player) they were just sitting there doing nothing and taking up space. Along with all my tapes went complete collections of music mags, every issue (except the current) of Mojo,Uncut 150+Q mags Every Vox every Select, dozens of Classic Rock and Musician. Yellowing NME's, Sounds, Melody Makers..Piles of various Motorcycle mags. As I was chucking them away I was saying goodbye to them (must have looked a right nut) and thinking to myself that the money spent on them could have been spent on beer or cigs etc so the money would have been gone anyway (some twisted justifacation eh).

On the drive Home I'm thinking 'fuck,fuck what the fuck did I do that for..I must be mad. all those years I'd spent collecting the stuff, now it's all gone'.....And then when I got home all my wife had to say to me was "That's a relief, one less thing to deal with when you pop your cloggs" Ouch, that hurt...I did keep a couple of dozen pre-recorded video tapes, I'll take them to a chatity shop.

Why? You can still buy brand new VHS machines. I bought 2 six head Philips ones for £90 about 2 years ago, I must be sad.. I still have audio cassette, reel to reel,and everything else. I also have 2 turntables, my Technics I purchased in 1979 and my wife can get rid of it when I snuff it, as I still use it regularly the other turntable is a Kenwood which has never been used. My wife and daughters want me to get rid of the lot as they take up one whole wall in the living room but they can swivel.

Pretty much all of my cassette tape collection, pre-recorded and otherwise. As you can see, I was more into making mixtapes than buying pre-recorded tapes. I have a least another 100 or so tapes of old radio shows such as Rockline and airchecks from when I worked in radio between 82-94. On the subject of mixtapes, I highly recommend the book Cassette From My Ex which is pretty much what the name implies. Each page includes the artwork from a homemade mixtape plus the story behind it. The author also has a pretty cool website that you can check out here.

225015_2082942959070_6482226_n.jpg

That looks impressive Jahfin, do you still play any of them?

Thanks. Very rarely, nor am I able to part with them. I spent far too many hours compiling them to ever throw them in the trash. The last time I upgraded my car stereo system I made sure it had a cassette player in the event that I might want to play my old cassettes but these days I use it to play my iPod through a cassette adaptor. These days, whenever I do decide to listen to one of my old cassettes I don't tend to make it very far as all I hear is the tape hiss. I guess I've grown too accustomed to how clean compact discs and digital files sound. By the way, the book I mentioned in my previous post has a sidebar section on how to convert your old mixtapes to digital just for old times sake. That might be a fun project to undertake at some point.

Impressive, but not as big as I'd have imagined. Jahfin struck me as the kind of person who would have far more tapes than that. And no, that's not meant as an insult.

I actually do have more tapes than that. Those are just the ones that are properly labeled and have cases. I probably have at least 100 more or so that are mostly stuff I taped off of the radio plus airchecks from when I worked in radio between 82-94. Eventually I'd like to digitize some of the airchecks as well as the recordings I made of WQDR in their last days as an album rock station back in '84. Once they learned they were switching formats to Country they pulled out all of the stops by playing complete albums and by bringing back members of their on-air staff for guest shifts. I hated that they were switching formats but those last few weeks when they threw caution to the wind format-wise is how album radio should sound all of the time. The Deep Tracks channel on XM is the closest thing I've heard to anything like that in the days since but even they have their parameters.

Thanks. Very rarely, nor am I able to part with them. I spent far too many hours compiling them to ever throw them in the trash. The last time I upgraded my car stereo system I made sure it had a cassette player in the event that I might want to play my old cassettes but these days I use it to play my iPod through a cassette adaptor. These days, whenever I do decide to listen to one of my old cassettes I don't tend to make it very far as all I hear is the tape hiss. I guess I've grown too accustomed to how clean compact discs and digital files sound. By the way, the book I mentioned in my previous post has a sidebar section on how to convert your old mixtapes to digital just for old times sake. That might be a fun project to undertake at some point.

When I threw all of mine away I really thought that I should'nt, But I also thought whats the point in keeping them, even the dozens of Radio Broadcast tapes and concerts that I'd recorded myself (rather poorly, on a cheap recorder withan internal mike) They had just been sitting in my attic for years. All my cars over the past ten years have had CD players. So my tapes were just clutter really. And with the temperature extremes in the attic, hot in the summer and freezing in the winter, the length of time they'd been there some of them might of been unplayable. Before they went up in the attic I transfered about ten or so to CD then got bored doing it...........Maybe it was a stupid thing to do, but it's done now....Anyway if it was'nt for the fact that my loft insulation was being upgraded they would have sat up there for another ten years or so....All my LPs ( whats left of them, 300ish or so) and Turntable (Linn Sondek LP12 with an LVV arm and Ortofon VMS 20 cartridge) have been put back up there, they're going nowhere.

It is, Victoria.

But as I said, it seems to have some kind of mystical, aphrodisiac power. If I let this one loose on the internet, heaven only knows what the neighbours will think when girls from all around the world come a-knocking at my door...

LOL right....

I probably have well over 1000 vinyl records and close to 2000 compact discs in my collection. At this point there is really no one in my family I can think of that is going to want any of that when I die. However, there is the Southern Folklife Collection at UNC in Chapel Hill that most likely will. Not a pleasant subject to think about but that's the reality of it. At least they won't just get thrown in a dumpster somewhere. I'm sure some folks here have heard about Paul Mawhinney who, over the years, has amassed the world's largest record collection. In The Archive, a documentary about him that originally aired on PBS in 2010, he was unable to find anyone that wanted to buy it (keep in mind, I believe his collection is somewhere around, if not over, one million albums). I'm not sure if he's since been able to find a buyer but hopefully someone will come along that's interested. If nothing else, it sounds like the sort of thing that could at least be donated to the Library of Congress. I've posted this previously but for those that haven't seen it, here's the documentary:

If you watch the documentary on Mawhinney (which lasts all of 8 minutes), I think you'll find that it's not his intention to listen to everything in his collection, nor is it to amass the largest collection on the planet. He simply wants to preserve and archive records in much the same way that a museum or the Library of Congress does. I really don't see anything the matter with that. In fact, I commend him for his efforts.

While I have a music collection that's larger than what the average person has, I've never really thought of myself as a collector. Yes, I have a few rare items but I also don't spend all of my free time scouring the earth for every rare album I can find. I've simply been buying the music I like since I was somewhere around 10 or 11 years old. Last year at a record show I ran into a group of folks that were talking about one of their friends that had such a huge collection that it had taken over his entire home (much like the person you describe in your post above). It was to the point that he and his wife could barely move around in their home. According to what these folks were saying, his wife finally gave him an ultimatum, either get rid of the records or she was going to move out. He ended up choosing his collection over her and his wife left him.

I still have a couple hundred cassettes but no player. I have a friend who only listens to tapes and only plays VHS movies. He refuses to go digital.

Yesterday I was given an old AKAI 8 track player that weighs about 10 pounds and you can tell it is real quality. Now I need a 1/4" jack to fit the headphones to see if it even works.

I actually have quite a large cassette collection from my childhood(although not as large as Jahfin's). I may try and upload some pics to post on here. Although I am embarassingly unsavvy when it comes to all things computers. I've thought about selling them, but who would buy them?. Do used record/CD stores even accept cassettes anymore?.

Do used record/CD stores even accept cassettes anymore?.

I've seen some that do in the area where I live but they're still very much a speciality. When I lived at the coast some of the pawn shops there had even stopped accepting CD's. When it came to media it was only gaming accessories and DVD's.

i taped a few shows with a nice lil sony unit and stereo mike......

U2 worcester mass. in 1985

Robert Plant 1990? at great woods

Floyd 88 at foxborough

the who 88? foxborough

Plant Page 1995 Boston Garden

probably a couple i've forgotten.....that being said taping was just a huge pain in the ass so i never really got into it........i just wanted to go and enjoy the show and not be hindered with the taping bullshit

Archived