No Time Travel in Planet of the Apes Sequel

Jahfin

^ Jaf, I'm kind of confused on your stature here lately. Your usually here almost 24/7, yet you practically disappeared for the entire portion of THE MOST action/news this board has had in years...with the exception of a few minor post here and there, I'm sure you made?......And you post THIS??? ...Planet of the Apes can wait a few more days, for review...

C'mon man, shake out of it.. :wakeup::drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Hope all is well...seriously :console:

Too bad. They need to time-travel their sorry asses back to when Charlton Heston was still alive as he was in the only good "Planet of the Apes" movies.

No Charlton Heston, no dice. They need to stop remaking and rehashing classics they have no hope of equalling. Waste of time.

Too bad. They need to time-travel their sorry asses back to when Charlton Heston was still alive as he was in the only good "Planet of the Apes" movies.

No Charlton Heston, no dice. They need to stop remaking and rehashing classics they have no hope of equalling. Waste of time.

I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of the original Planet of the Apes (especially the first three movies in the series) but I also love Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I admit I was pretty skeptical going in but it didn't take too long for that to go out the window. I thought they did an excellent job with it and I'm looking forward to the next one.

The Tim Burton version is worth watching just to see the 'Ape Lincoln' statue right at the end of the film.

The only thing I really liked about Burton's "reimagining" (as I believe it was billed at the time) was how the apes were a bit more realistic compared to the original films but that's really not that much of a stretch considering how far special effects have come since the 70's. Attempting to have a surprise ending in the manner of the original movie failed miserably in Burton's version, at least in my opinion. I found it to be laughable at best.

I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of the original Planet of the Apes (especially the first three movies in the series) but I also love Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I admit I was pretty skeptical going in but it didn't take too long for that to go out the window. I thought they did an excellent job with it and I'm looking forward to the next one.

The only thing I really liked about Burton's "reimagining" (as I believe it was billed at the time) was how the apes were a bit more realistic compared to the original films but that's really not that much of a stretch considering how far special effects have come since the 70's. Attempting to have a surprise ending in the manner of the original movie failed miserably in Burton's version, at least in my opinion. I found it to be laughable at best.

I agee on both points.

The 1968 original is in my top 10 all time favorite films.. nothing in the series will ever top the original..

I thought Rise was excellent too. I am really looking forward to next chapter.

Everything about the Tim Burton version was done very well... The Apes makeup, The special effects, the caliber of actors ... all great... Everything worked except the storyline.. which sucked real bad.

Same with Lost In Space.. evrything was there, but the weak script killed what could have been a great movie franchise.

The damn dirty apes! I loved the films when I was a kid - had the dart game and coloring book.

I had a few of the action figures as a kid. As a diehard Planet of the Apes enthusiast I was also a big fan of the TV series, the Saturday morning cartoon show and the comic books though none even came close to the feature films.

Remakes are a sacrilege. No Charlton/Roddy = No Peace

I agree for the most part and I imagine Burton did too which is why his Planet of the Apes was referred to as a "reimagining" rather than as a remake or sequel. Though Rise of the Planet of the Apes didn't use such a tact in their publicity campaign (other than maybe "reboot) I feel that it is a very worthy addition to the franchise. Also, it's not technically a remake either as it uses none of the plot lines (other than the obvious) or characters from any of the other movies so it's not really a remake, sequel or a prequel. "Ceaser" in Rise of the Planet of the Apes has no ties to the Ceaser portrayed in the other films other than in name only. There's also an allusion to Cornelius but that's also in name only as the Cornelius in Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a female. I'm not sure if you've seen it but Rise of the Planet of the Apes does allude to the original first movie in several scenes. How and if they will all tie in together in future installments is anyone's guess. As a fan of the original series and of Rise of the Planet of the Apes I'm very excited to find out.

I'm a fan of the original "Planet of the Apes" and I found "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" to be thoroughly enjoyable.

I was also gripped by "127 Hours", very good film.

I'll check out "The Hit". John Hurt is always good to watch.

^^^

"THE HIT" is one of my favourite films ever, so I know I must have written about it at some point on this thread. In fact, Fire Opal, I think how we first bonded was over our adoration of John Hurt.

But "The Hit" is more than John Hurt...you get the always underrated Terrence Stamp and a very young Tim Roth, years before Quentin Tarantino started using him.

If you haven't seen it, put it on your list. Another great Terrence Stamp gem is "The Limey", with Peter Fonda.

Check 'em out, kids.

"The Hit" isn't currently available at LoveFilm unfortunately.

I saw "The Limey" a few years ago. It used this 1967 Ken Loach film, "Poor Cow", that Stamp was in for some of the flash back scenes. I rented that right after. The infamous John Bindon is also in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKtVUfl0d0

PHWOAH! Time for another Terence binge.

Speaking of Bindon, I was watching a Richard Harris film one night and I saw Bindon's name in the credits. Couldn't figure out which one was him though.

Terence Stamp also relates an anecdote about Bindon*, possibly in the DVD extras for The Limey.

*it wouldn't translate for me to tell it here, you have to hear Stamp imitating a broad Cockney accent.

Edited by FireOpal