Did Zep ever do a studio recording of Train Kept A' Rolling?

barney2EH

• 4 months later...

I thought they were from a soundcheck at the RAH.

That's what Page's liner notes on Coda say. But it's not true. Compare the two versions of each song and you'll see they're identical. The Coda ones have the audience track turned off, and they're edited down a bit (and We're Gonna Groove has studio guitar overdubs). But they're the same performance.

Not to argue with anyone who thinks or disagrees with what I believe, but I do not think that "We're Gonna Grove" from Coda was the same version (minus the audience) that was played at the RAH on January 9, 1970. The original "We're Gonna Groove" was recorded, from what I know and have read, in 1969 and was attended to be released on LZII. However, as we all know, it did not make the cut and was therefore relegated for release on Coda.

Does this studio version:

http://youtu.be/1quEQmGvv_I

really sound like this Live version:

http://youtu.be/qX0QYuVuHrI

?

There is a lot of improvisation of the lyrics, guitar and rhythm in this live version that far exceeds the studio version that was on Coda. Therefore, I believe that the two are very different from each other by a span of 12 years.

Similar to the early live versions of "Train Kept a Rollin'" from 1968 and the latter versions of "Train Kept a Rollin" from 1980.

Jimmy Page used a "Sub-Octivider" on the latter version of "We're Gonna Groove" (on Coda).

He definitely used a wawa-pedal on the intro of "Train" during the "Over Europe" tour in 1980.

Not to argue with anyone who thinks or disagrees with what I believe, but I do not think that "We're Gonna Grove" from Coda was the same version (minus the audience) that was played at the RAH on January 9, 1970. The original "We're Gonna Groove" was recorded, from what I know and have read, in 1969 and was attended to be released on LZII. However, as we all know, it did not make the cut and was therefore relegated for release on Coda.

Does this studio version:

http://youtu.be/1quEQmGvv_I

really sound like this Live version:

http://youtu.be/qX0QYuVuHrI

?

There is a lot of improvisation of the lyrics, guitar and rhythm in this live version that far exceeds the studio version that was on Coda. Therefore, I believe that the two are very different from each other by a span of 12 years.

Similar to the early live versions of "Train Kept a Rollin'" from 1968 and the latter versions of "Train Kept a Rollin" from 1980.

Jimmy Page used a "Sub-Octivider" on the latter version of "We're Gonna Groove" (on Coda).

He definitely used a wawa-pedal on the intro of "Train" during the "Over Europe" tour in 1980.

That's the power of editing for you...

The drums and the vocal from the CODA version are definitely from RAH. Just listen to the delivery of the vocals! I don't believe Robert ever did anything exactly the same twice... yet the vocal delivery in both versions is EXACTLY the same. Don't be fooled by the big sound Kevin Shirley gave the RAH mix, or the fact that things are in a different order in the studio version - that's editing.

You pointed out yourself that there's a lot more improvising on the 'live' version than the studio version. All that means is Jimmy has cut out and edited together the bits that he liked and binned the rest for the studio version! The different guitar solo, sub-octivided guitars and other overdubs were done in '81-'82 (SAJ would have exact info I'm sure), and I'm sure there's probably a whole thread on this forum somewhere about the 'soundcheck' fib on CODA's liner notes for both 'We're Gonna Groove' and 'I Can't Quit You Babe'. One other thing to look at is the tempo - from the beginning up until the end of the first verse ('along with mama yeah' - which is where the big edits start happening) the two different versions match tempo exactly, which even with Bonham's incredible timekeeping and given that they weren't playing to a metronome is pretty much impossible for two totally different versions recorded at different times. Especially to the degree that you are suggesting - 12 years. Roberts voice had changed totally in that time and there is no way he could have given the performance you hear in either version in 1982 - that raw power had gone by 1972.

That they sound so different is down to the edits, the overdubs and the mixing - and the fact that you think they are totally different is exactly what Mr. Page wanted you to think.

Yeah, I know some of you out there are going to be 'but they sound soooo different' and 'but it says soundcheck on the liner notes', so I decided to offer incontrovertible proof that the CODA version and the RAH version of 'We're Gonna Groove' are taken from the same multitrack sources.

LIsten to this.... on the right speaker/ear is the RAH, on the left speaker/ear is the CODA version.

At the same time.

The CODA version has a big edit in the middle where Jimmy took out a big chunk of solo, so I've left a gap in the middle and lined it back up where the vocals begin again towards the end of the song. The vocals ARE IDENTICAL. The drums ARE IDENTICAL. The Bass IS IDENTICAL - therefore these are different mixes of the same source, with some edits.

http://snd.sc/10fPeq7

I'll doubtless get hassles from the copyright people, so I'm going to take this link down in a couple of days, but have a listen if you can and appreciate Jimmy's studio skills if you will.

If this doesn't convince people, I'll get myself a fully paid up membership to the flat earth society.

Yeah, I know some of you out there are going to be 'but they sound soooo different' and 'but it says soundcheck on the liner notes', so I decided to offer incontrovertible proof that the CODA version and the RAH version of 'We're Gonna Groove' are taken from the same multitrack sources.

LIsten to this.... on the right speaker/ear is the RAH, on the left speaker/ear is the CODA version.

At the same time.

The CODA version has a big edit in the middle where Jimmy took out a big chunk of solo, so I've left a gap in the middle and lined it back up where the vocals begin again towards the end of the song. The vocals ARE IDENTICAL. The drums ARE IDENTICAL. The Bass IS IDENTICAL - therefore these are different mixes of the same source, with some edits.

http://snd.sc/10fPeq7

I'll doubtless get hassles from the copyright people, so I'm going to take this link down in a couple of days, but have a listen if you can and appreciate Jimmy's studio skills if you will.

If this doesn't convince people, I'll get myself a fully paid up membership to the flat earth society.

:yourock: Great Job!! I also believe that the CODA track for We're Gonna Groove is the same as the RAH live version, they are identical and what you did proved it!

:yourock: Great Job!! I also believe that the CODA track for We're Gonna Groove is the same as the RAH live version, they are identical and what you did proved it!

Aw shucks ^_^

Thanks.

Archived