DAVE GROHL TO DEBUT NEW BAND AT SUNDANCE

The Pagemeister

• 2 weeks later...

It wont be a real band

Dave Grohl and his SOUND CITY PLAYERS will perform at the historic Hollywood Palladium in Hollywood, California on Thursday, January 31 immediately following the Los Angeles premiere of "Sound City: Real To Reel", a new documentary produced and directed by Grohl. Joining Dave at the gig will be fellow FOO FIGHTERS members Pat Smear, Taylor Hawkins, Chris Shiflett and Nate Mendel, his former NIRVANA bandmate Krist Novoselic, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE's Brad Wilk and hardcore punk rock icon Lee Ving of FEAR as well as musical icons Stevie Nicks, John Fogerty, Rick Springfield and Rick Nielsen of CHEAP TRICK.

Tickets went on sale today at noon for the concert at the Hollywood Palladium that will take place after the Los Angeles premiere of the "Sound City" documentary at the Arclight Hollywood, January 31. I'll definitely be trying to figure out a way into this show...the line-up looks killer: Joining Dave Grohl for the Palladium concert will be John Fogerty, Stevie Nicks, Rick Nielsen, Pat Smear, Chris Goss, Alain Johannes(2nd guitarist on the TCV tour), Lee Ving, and plenty more...not to mention his usual Foo Fighter-mates. Anybody pooh-poohing this show can go to hell as far as I'm concerned...this concert is going to kick ass. The following article appeared in the L.A. Times:

Dave Grohl's 'Sound City' film gets L.A. premiere, all-star concert

By Mikael Wood, January 15, 2013 Los Angeles Times

"Sound City" is coming home.

After a world premiere Friday night at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, Dave Grohl will bring his documentary on the famed Van Nuys recording studio to L.A. on Jan. 31, the Foo Fighters frontman announced Tuesday.

The film examines the story of Sound City -- where Nirvana's "Nevermind," among many other albums, was recorded -- through archival footage and interviews with artists including Neil Young, Stevie Nicks, John Fogerty, Josh Homme and Rick Springfield. (Watch a trailer below.)

In addition to the movie, Grohl has made an album of new songs with help from some of those famous friends, an appealingly motley assortment of whom will perform at the Palladium following the "Sound City" showing at Hollywood's ArcLight Cinemas. According to the statement, those due to appear include Nicks, Fogerty, Springfield, Brad Wilk of Rage Against the Machine, Cheap Trick guitarist Rick Nielsen and Lee Ving of the great L.A. punk band Fear.

Tickets for the Palladium gig -- which Pop & Hiss has been told may feature additional unannounced luminaries -- go on sale through Ticketmaster at noon Pacific time Wednesday.

"Sound City" begins a theatrical run in L.A. on Feb. 1 at West Hollywood's Sundance Sunset Cinemas. The accompanying album, "Sound City: Real to Reel," is due out March 12.

• 1 month later...

Dave and the Sound City Players were on Jimmy Kimmel the other night...they had Hollywood Blvd. blocked off and played an hour on the big stage.

I couldn't go as I had other plans but I heard it was fun. I'm sure there are clips on YouTube.

Archived