Anyone learnt how to play mandolin?

amie1974

I'm getting tempted to learn mandolin, with the aim of learning Going to California :)...bit ambitious maybe but I like a challenge ..do any of you play or have given it a go? Is it really tricky? I already play guitar but im also trained on classical violin, which is tuned in 5ths so hoping that would help.

Hi Amie1974, I play a lot of guitar and a little mandolin. It will help that you have played guitar. A mandolin is tuned like a violin fyi. It is also tuned inverted from a guitar.

Guitar Strings (from low E)

E,A,D,G

Mandolin

G,D,A,E

if you don't know this already, this will be one of the first things you notice, especially with the G and C chords....

get yourself the basic chords to get your self started. It is a lot of fun and when you play mandolin with a guitar player it sounds great. It;s a tough instrument to play/listen to all night by itself.....good luck!

thanks everyone, sounds like it's worth a try then...Reggie the PDF would be great, will PM you, thanks :)

this will help, there is a ton of this stuff on Youtube. This guy is showing basic stuff to get ya going...cheers

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=basic+mandolin+chord+video&view=detail&mid=E083DCDEE44E685FEA2BE083DCDEE44E685FEA2B&first=0

thanks folks - fishhead, just had a quick look at the link, that guy has a nice simple teaching style, looks ok (until I actually try it perhaps ;) )...just got to buy one now. Or 'borrow' one I found at my son's school :)

thanks folks - fishhead, just had a quick look at the link, that guy has a nice simple teaching style, looks ok (until I actually try it perhaps ;) )...just got to buy one now. Or 'borrow' one I found at my son's school :)

,,,,,I bought a Fender with a pickup in it for about $100 Canadian. Just a cheapie but it does the job. Good luck! and make sure you post some video of your first song...cheers

^^thanks so much dazedjeffy that's brilliant. Looks ok to play in theory, but then it's playing it fast enough that'll be the problem! I just love the live version so much, the mandolin and guitar together, plus brilliant vocals, one of my favourites.

,,,,,I bought a Fender with a pickup in it for about $100 Canadian. Just a cheapie but it does the job. Good luck! and make sure you post some video of your first song...cheers

Fish, where'd you find a deal like that? I've been wanting to play mandolin for some time, but the high prices put me off.

Actually now I just googled it and came across something called a Rogue A-style mandolin for only $50. There must be a catch.

Update: this gal uploaded a video of her playing the Rogue, sounds pretty good!

http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-RM-100A-A-Style-Mandolin-Black/dp/B003LHV1X4

Fish, where'd you find a deal like that? I've been wanting to play mandolin for some time, but the high prices put me off.

Actually now I just googled it and came across something called a Rogue A-style mandolin for only $50. There must be a catch.

Update: this gal uploaded a video of her playing the Rogue, sounds pretty good!

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B003LHV1X4

...hang on I will see if I can locate...It was bought at a Long and McQuade store in Toronto...I will get back to ya....ciao

...hang on I will see if I can locate...It was bought at a Long and McQuade store in Toronto...I will get back to ya....ciao

oops, my mistake mine was actually $230 ( I bought it about 5 years ago....brain cramp)

I did find this one for you if you are looking for a starter.....it goes for $199

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1191/Guitars/Traditional_Folk_Instruments/Fender_Musical_Instruments/FM-100_Mandolin_Pack.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are you using it in a new composition - great :) I think mandolins are sadly underused in new music these days! Thought I might have seen a few more at the folk festival I went to last year...

My rhythm guitar player plays it, and we're thinking about using it in one of our songs... I managed to play it the first time I layed my hands on it. Not very hard for a guitar player! :)

Thanks for posting the tunings. Now if you have the tabs for Going to California? I have it for acoustic. How much does the average Mandolin cost and is Gibson a leading maker? Does Taylor make one?

There's a post from dazedjeffy earlier in the thread with the mandolin tabs I think? Not as difficult as it sounds but I think playing it fast enough is going to be the problem :)

I traded an Ovation mandolin for a couple cords of firewood. -_- (I couldn't play it anyway)

I had an Ovation Celebrity. They say Ovations are made from the technology used to build airplanes. Very well made guitars. I liked mine as it had the crazy cutouts rather than the traditional center hole cutout. Now I have a Taylor. I love it.

Archived