2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

I just saw the crawl that Erik Bedard has been taken out of the Astros game even though dude was throwing a no-hitter. I guess Bo Porter doesn't want to possibly blow out his pitcher with 148 pitches ala Lincecum. It's still a combined no-hitter though...

Edit to Add: Nevermind, the Mariners just got a hit!

I also saw on the crawl that when Bedard was taken out after 6 1/3, he had thrown 109 pitches. Quite a lot. That would put him at the rate he was going at over 150 if he were to complete it. I'm sure that's why he was removed. When Johan Santana threw his no-no for the Mets last June, I think he was around 140. Hasn't been the same since and pretty much most of his time has been on the DL. If that's it for him, than he went out in fine fashion,,,not that I'd want him to.

Hey Paul, Lee vs Harvey. Should be a great matchup. Two of the best going at it. Do you think we can do the unthinkable? Sweep in Texas? If we do, I would say the rest of the AL East should be put on notice. These Orioles are starting to look like the mighty Oriole teams of the late 60s and early 70's. Maybe they will wind up being even better? There is no Palmer or McNally but the lineup is damn good. 4 gold glovers and possibly 5. How can Machado be denied a gold glove at third? He has a rifle for an arm. For his age the best I have ever seen. Well, Harvey vs Lee is as close to Seaver vs Carlton as you will get.

Lee vs. Harvey sounds nice on paper, but how often do these great pitching matchups live up to the hype, it seems rare. I'm thinking back to earlier in the year when Yu Darvish opposed Justin Verlander & what a dud that turned out to be.

Your Orioles sweeping Texas would be big, but you have to remember, there is this team in Tampa that is playing as good as anybody in baseball right now. They would appear to be your biggest obstacle as far as trying to overtake the Sawx for that division.

Lee vs. Harvey sounds nice on paper, but how often do these great pitching matchups live up to the hype, it seems rare. I'm thinking back to earlier in the year when Yu Darvish opposed Justin Verlander & what a dud that turned out to be.

Your Orioles sweeping Texas would be big, but you have to remember, there is this team in Tampa that is playing as good as anybody in baseball right now. They would appear to be your biggest obstacle as far as trying to overtake the Sawx for that division.

Yes they are winning and I give them credit for that. But they are also feasting on bad teams the last three series. Dont forget that. I hope Dickey beats them today. He better or Toronto is bye bye for sure. Angels are helping as they have beaten Oakland twice now. We are still in a wild card position right now, 1/2 game ahead of Texas. I do not see Tampa keeping this up. They will have to play a far tougher schedule starting tomorrow.

The Dodgers were loving those hanging sliders from Zimmerman but he's out of the game now. I see my Mets have a 5 run lead on the Phillies, will it hold up & get Harvey a W?

Fucking Toronto is finished. Cannot help us and beat Tampa once. Well, they get the Yankees next and Ill be rooting for the Yankees for a very rare time. We are winning too. Keeping pace. . They will have deal with teams like Texas also soon enough. I thought Dickey would beat them at least. No run support. I am hoping for the sweep in Texas

Not to sound like a know it all, but I predicted before the season Toronto would struggle & they are in the cellar. Their starting pitching has been a major disappointment.

I wonder how many more wins Harvey will get before the season is over & will he bring home the Cy Young award. 15 seems like a longshot, will 12 or 13 victories be enough. Lord knows he has had a shitload of no decisions to go along with his 8-2 record, but as I said before, King Felix won the award in a year where he was 13-12, so anything is possible.

Not to sound like a know it all, but I predicted before the season Toronto would struggle & they are in the cellar. Their starting pitching has been a major disappointment.

I wonder how many more wins Harvey will get before the season is over & will he bring home the Cy Young award. 15 seems like a longshot, will 12 or 13 victories be enough. Lord knows he has had a shitload of no decisions to go along with his 8-2 record, but as I said before, King Felix won the award in a year where he was 13-12, so anything is possible.

Harvey is a cinch in the NL. Unless that guy from the Dodgers is in striking distance? The Dodgers are on fire. The phillies are still in the race so that loss really must have stung. We are going into a nasty place tonight to play a team that does not want to lose again. We have an all star taking the mound in Tillman, even though us Oriole faithfull know he is not really our best pitcher. But he is having a good year record wise. They have hit for him. Tampa goes to NY tomorrow and unfortunately the Yankees used their best pitchers last night and tonight to my knowledge. But nothing is a sure thing. Washington has left the door open for other teams to get a wild card. I am now wondering if Wash will make it? I still say Pittsburgh will fall apart. Maybe the Mets can get red hot? I really want this game in Texas tonight. Then its off to KC. We should take them to school.

I just checked the Wild Card standings, in the AL it's Tampa & Baltimore tied at the top with Texas and the Yankees nipping at their heels. I think it's possible you could have 3 playoff teams from the AL East & the NL Central, depending on whether or not the Pirates fall apart like most expect them to.

Rick, I appreciate your belief in the Mets, but even if they get on a winning streak, right now they are 10 out from the Wild Card & would have to jump over about 8 teams to get that spot, not bloody likely.

I just checked the Wild Card standings, in the AL it's Tampa & Baltimore tied at the top with Texas and the Yankees nipping at their heels. I think it's possible you could have 3 playoff teams from the AL East & the NL Central, depending on whether or not the Pirates fall apart like most expect them to.

Rick, I appreciate your belief in the Mets, but even if they get on a winning streak, right now they are 10 out from the Wild Card & would have to jump over about 8 teams to get that spot, not bloody likely.

Do you appreciate my belief in my Orioles? This guy on MLB says they really only need one more guy to give them 6 innings to be able to take the whole thing. I say they can go for it with what they have now. Why not? They are on fucking fire. Tillman just got them out. 7 hits to 1 and a 3-0 Orioles lead in a possible sweep game in Texas. Tampa goes to NY tomorrow and I will be cheering for the Yankees. Still a long way to go, but if we just keep winning nobody is keeping us out.

Oh man. Tampa plays Boston and the Yankees go to Texas to play what will be one pissed off bunch of Rangers if this 4-0 score holds up. We are outhitting them 9-1. Birds on fire. And I said it here Wieters would be better in second half. So let that guy come on here and bitch about this prediction . Wieters is 7 for 15 since the break. On fire again tonight.

1-2-3 again for Tillman. 4-0 O's and 2-0 Yankees. Baltimore and Tampa are rising to the top

If everything holds up, the night could end with Boston 1/2 game ahead of Tampa. 2 1/2 ahead of Baltimore. And only 5 ahead of a Yankees team that seemed dead. Bad news for Yankees though is having to go to Texas next. Texas is going to be in a foul mood. Expecially if we can sweep them. Darvish is on the mound also. Yikes. But everyone is closing in except Toronto who are now apparently done. But not mathematically by any means. Its very funny how teams can get back in the race. Look at the Dodgers

Rick you're so adamant on a sweep in Texas tonight that I'm pulling for you. Being a Mets man it's not a big deal, but I do not exactly like the Yanks and have never disliked the O's in any way. Best of luck!

Archived