What is your most meaningful personal Zep experience?

ScarletMacaw

Just discovered LZ recently. It's been a crappy time: redundancy, health problems, personal problems; everything went wrong at once.

I've been pretty depressed, and was even getting bored with music (which has, believe me, always been the one thing I NEVER get bored with). Then I started getting into Zep, and it's just been amazing, like being a teenager again. I was kind of thinking I'd never again feel so excited about music. That thing like when you're a kid: so excited about a new album, wanting to evangelize about it to all your friends... every time you discover a new track you just go around thinking BUT THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE???? I just couldn't GET OVER "When The Levee Breaks" for about a fortnight. Then "Kashmir", then "Since I've Been Loving You", etc., etc. At the moment: "In My Time Of Dying". Only problem is, I know I'm going to be pretty upset when I've absorbed it all and there's no new Zep to discover, so I'm kind of pacing myself; there's still some tracks I haven't listened to (although I have them), and about a third of the total that I might have heard but haven't heard enough to really absorb yet (my brain is weird; I'm very slow to assimilate music. No matter how much I end up loving something, on the first few listens, it's just noise). I'm putting off listening to more, and just listening to my favourites over and over. It's like reading slower as you see you're nearing the end of an awesome book. Knowing you'll never get to experience it for the first time again stinks.

So I guess my most meaningful experience is now. Life is kinda crappy - I'm broke, I'm not too well, I'm kind of isolated and I can't see much of a light at the end of the tunnel. At the moment the highlight of my day - every day - is when I go for a long walk across the fields, and listen to Zep. I have very few pleasures in life at the moment, but that's the main one, and it's helping. Jimmy, Robert, John Paul and Bonzo, thankyou.

Just discovered LZ recently. It's been a crappy time: redundancy, health problems, personal problems; everything went wrong at once.

I've been pretty depressed, and was even getting bored with music (which has, believe me, always been the one thing I NEVER get bored with). Then I started getting into Zep, and it's just been amazing, like being a teenager again. I was kind of thinking I'd never again feel so excited about music. That thing like when you're a kid: so excited about a new album, wanting to evangelize about it to all your friends... every time you discover a new track you just go around thinking BUT THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE???? I just couldn't GET OVER "When The Levee Breaks" for about a fortnight. Then "Kashmir", then "Since I've Been Loving You", etc., etc. At the moment: "In My Time Of Dying". Only problem is, I know I'm going to be pretty upset when I've absorbed it all and there's no new Zep to discover, so I'm kind of pacing myself; there's still some tracks I haven't listened to (although I have them), and about a third of the total that I might have heard but haven't heard enough to really absorb yet (my brain is weird; I'm very slow to assimilate music. No matter how much I end up loving something, on the first few listens, it's just noise). I'm putting off listening to more, and just listening to my favourites over and over. It's like reading slower as you see you're nearing the end of an awesome book. Knowing you'll never get to experience it for the first time again stinks.

So I guess my most meaningful experience is now. Life is kinda crappy - I'm broke, I'm not too well, I'm kind of isolated and I can't see much of a light at the end of the tunnel. At the moment the highlight of my day - every day - is when I go for a long walk across the fields, and listen to Zep. I have very few pleasures in life at the moment, but that's the main one, and it's helping. Jimmy, Robert, John Paul and Bonzo, thankyou.

This is a great post. Don't worry, you'll never absorb it all. The great thing about Led Zeppelin, is that the music is complex enough that you'll never tire of it. You'll always find something new. Some little nuance that will make you stop and go "whoa, how freaking cool is that!" Or when you can share it with someone. Just watched the movie Argo a few weeks ago, and the scene where they played "When the Levee Breaks" I said to my friends "Dropped the needle on the 4th song second side", and it just transported me back to my teen years, when I would do the same thing in my bedroom full blast. It was a deja vu moment.

And long walks are always good no matter what. I can't say for sure that life will get better, but it usually does. Take care.

Mine was a few years ago driving to the coast with my sister, it was a blazing hot day and the window in the drivers side wasn't working so I had this crappy air con going on and all the passenger windows down. I remember pissing off my sister by playing Kashmir on a constent loop but at that moment, the heat, the blue skies, the sea and the awesome power of Led Zeppelin and that was it. Led Zeppelin is my therapy

Just take care of yourself & stay positive! Remember, someone out there may be worse off.

After you've absorbed all the studio stuff, start searching out for Led Zeppelin "bootlegs" - you'll be happy you did!

1. Finding the courage back in high-school to wander over to the house of someone I didn't know well, to ask if I could check out his Zeppelin LPs -- and hearing Led Zep I and Houses for the first time.

2. Seeing Jimmy at the '83 ARMS concert at the LA forum.

3. Listening to Bron-yr-aur on my Walkman on an English train as the hills rolled by; that song is still my soundtrack for England.

4. Using the Internet to keep tabs on the 02 reunion.

Going to the O2 show, seeing Page for the first time (Outrider), sneaking in and watching JPJ warm up at the HOB in LA, and getting JPJ's pic when he played with Diamanda Galas.

A few stand out:

Nov. 6, 1998 - Being in the front row for the Nov 6, 1998 Page/Plant concert. Thanks to Dave Lewis, I had a seat for the show. However, I decided to try to get as close to the stage as possible. I traded my ticket and a few pounds for a ticket for the floor. I didn't get to the arena until 15 minutes or so after the gates opened. Because of that, I figured my chance of getting up front was gone. Thankfully, everyone else headed to get a drink while I made my way to the stage. The area in front of it had mostly filled up, but I noticed an open spot on the right side of the barricade that separated the crowd and the band. I watched the entire show from there, directly in front of Jimmy.

July 13, 1998 - As good as the second night in London was, musically this show was even better. In fact, it is easily the best of the 100 or so concerts I've attended. It was one of those magic nights when everyone in the audience floats out of the arena, high on Jimmy and Robert's music.

Sept. 25, 1980 - I was 15 at the time, and had been a Zeppelin fanatic for a couple of years. I came home from high school and turned on the radio to the local rock station. It was immediately apparent something bad had happened, but it took about 30 seconds before the DJ made the announcement. Even now I can remember the stomach churning shock, and I don't know that I've ever gotten over it completely.

Sounds meaningful to me, I can relate to what you're saying.. I was about 13, getting into Zeppelin and guitars for the first time. I was reading The Lord of The Rings at the time too, it was Autumn, I was living in a small village in England, walking thru' the misty countryside with Friends, WIAWSNB, Ramble On, The Battle of Evermore, Four Sticks and Thank You in my head, acting as a kind of soundtrack to the experience. Everything seemed to gell. When I hear the pastoral Zep, I'm back there again...

I wish I could say it was seeing them in concert but that never happened. Otherwise it would probably be how strongly I associate Led Zeppelin IV with a trip I took with my parents to Europe back in 1972. To this day, whenever I hear a track from that album I'm immediately transported back to roving the countryside in a red VW bus which we rented for the trip. The view out of the windows often perfectly matched the music I was listening to on my brother's portable Panasonic cassette deck, which was misty mountains draped in fog and dotted every so often by centuries old castles. I'm not sure if you'd define that experience as "meaningful" but those are memories I'll always hold dear.

Again, I want to thank people for sharing their stories...vivid, poignant, intriguing...at least one made me cry...

I recently had an experience that is kind of the bookend to what I put in my first post on this thread...last weekend I was talking on the phone with my parents--I try to call them a couple of times a month--and mentioned something about this site and how I'd been thinking about the '77 Landover concert that I couldn't go to because I wasn't old enough to drive--to my total shock by father apologized for not agreeing to drive me there! The funny thing is, I am almost positive I didn't even ask him...I just assumed I wouldn't be able to go and didn't even try to get tickets...I had a bad relationship with my parents in adolescence, but now I think that maybe I didn't give them enough credit...

when i was 18 i heard bron-yr-aur for the first time and i thought, "if i ever get married, that's the song i want to walk down the aisle to." ten years later, i did just that. a dear friend (and fellow zep lover) practiced for an entire year and played beautifully! i've been married for almost 12 years, and every time i hear that song, it transports me back to that moment. side note: the church only allowed religious and classical music during weddings, so in the program "bron-yr-aur" is listed as a "traditional celtic tune" by j. page!

Archived