Terrorists thwarted by RCMP today in Canada.

fishhead

From the Toronto Sun today.......TORONTO - RCMP said on Monday they had arrested and charged two men with an al-Qaida-supported plot to derail a passenger train.

Had this plot been carried out, it would have resulted in innocent people being killed or seriously injured, Royal Canadian Mounted Police official James Malizia told reporters in Toronto.

The RCMP said it had arrested Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, of Montreal, and Raed Jaser, 35, of Toronto in connection with the plot, which authorities said was not linked to the Boston Marathon bombings, but likely had connections to al-Qaida.

Neither is a Canadian citizen.

The RCMP is alleging that Chiheb Esseghaier and Raed Jaser were conspiring to carry out an al-Qaida-supported attack against a VIA passenger train, Malizia said.

U.S. officials said the attack would have targeted a rail line between New York and Toronto, but Canadian police did not confirm that.

Police said various Canadian security forces had conducted joint operations in the two cities.

The arrests follow not only last Mondays Boston Marathon bombings in which three people were killed and more than 200 injured but revelations that Canadians took part in an attack by militants on a gas plant in Algeria in January.

It also recalls the arrests in 2006 of a group of more than a dozen Toronto-area men accused of planning to plant bombs at various Canadian targets. Eleven men were eventually convicted of taking part on the plot.

Todays arrests demonstrate that terrorism continues to be a real threat to Canada, Public Safety Minister Vic Toews told reporters in Ottawa.

Canada will not tolerate terrorist activity and we will not be used as a safe haven for terrorists or those who support terrorist activities.

I hate the thought of bringing up children up in this day and age and also my grandchildren are all young,what a world they face.The terrorist cells are all over the place now yo never know whats next. Great job Canada in rooting out this evil threat.

I hate the thought of bringing up children up in this day and age and also my grandchildren are all young,what a world they face.The terrorist cells are all over the place now yo never know whats next. Great job Canada in rooting out this evil threat.

...just watching the news. It was reported the guys wanted to jam a train (car) full of explosives that was headed to New York City....Phuckers!

Crazy! Literally found out about this just now, on this site.

I hate the thought of bringing up children up in this day and age and also my grandchildren are all young,what a world they face.

The only difference is the degree of communication and the way(s) in which information is spread -- the world is no more (and possibly less) dangerous than past decades. (Cp. decreased rates of violent crime, less proliferation of nuclear armaments, etc.).

Also: Shouldn't the title read "alleged terrorists"? Innocent until proven guilty and all...

Crazy! Literally found out about this just now, on this site.

The only difference is the degree of communication and the way(s) in which information is spread -- the world is no more (and possibly less) dangerous than past decades. (Cp. decreased rates of violent crime, less proliferation of nuclear armaments, etc.).

Also: Shouldn't the title read "alleged terrorists"? Innocent until proven guilty and all...

good point, you are right...should read "alleged'

True! My thoughts exactly.

.The terrorist cells are all over the place now yo never know whats next. Great job Canada in rooting out this evil threat.

The sharing of information between the FBI / HLS and the RCMP/CSIS played a massive role. More of that and due diligence on the part of the Canadian citizenry needed

due diligence on the part of the Canadian citizenry needed

According to officials and the media, Canadian citizenry -- specifically prominent members of the Muslim community in Canada -- were the first people to tip off the authorities about these men.

Don't be one of the people who falls back into kneejerk racism. You'd think we'd have learned not to do that by now...reading the comments on news sites is very disheartening.

good point, you are right...should read "alleged'

Sorry for being a stickler. Justice is hard. I'll reserve my judgment until we hear more details/evidence...scary thought, though, being a commuter.

According to officials and the media, Canadian citizenry -- specifically prominent members of the Muslim community in Canada -- were the first people to tip off the authorities about these men.

Don't be one of the people who falls back into kneejerk racism. You'd think we'd have learned not to do that by now...reading the comments on news sites is very disheartening.

Yes, prominent members of the Muslim community were the first to tip off authorities and I applaud them for doing so . I also applaud authorities on both sides of the border for having the names of the two suspects in their data basis. My comment re: due diligence on the part of the Canadian citizenry included... everyone !

Sorry for being a stickler. Justice is hard. I'll reserve my judgment until we hear more details/evidence...scary thought, though, being a commuter.

you;re no stickler...you;re right on!...cheers

Yes, prominent members of the Muslim community were the first to tip off authorities and I applaud them for doing so . I also applaud authorities on both sides of the border for having the names of the two suspects in their data basis. My comment re: due diligence on the part of the Canadian citizenry included... everyone !

Guys is the media applauding the people who stuck their necks out to get these guys caught?

Have you read that in any other article(s)?.

I re-read the Toronto SUN article I posted and it did not mention anyone form the Muslim community alarming the RCMP?

If that indeed happened, they should be congratulated and celebrated.Any we should all know about that...

Guys is the media applauding the people who stuck their necks out to get these guys caught?

Have you read that in any other article(s)?.

I re-read the Toronto SUN article I posted and it did not mention anyone form the Muslim community alarming the RCMP?

If that indeed happened, they should be congratulated and celebrated.Any we should all know about that...

Saw it on TV news last night Fishy. The CBC had an interview with the cleric in Montreal who outted them

Saw it on TV news last night Fishy. The CBC had an interview with the cleric in Montreal who outted them

ok thanks ally, that is good to hear and may make a few people happy to know we're all in this together,....ciao

you;re no stickler...you;re right on!...cheers

Whew! Thankfully, you guys seem to have your heads on right -- which is more than I can say for some of the sad, sad people who post on the internet. They use terrible events like the Boston Marathon bombings and this (supposed) plot to spout their hatred...I'm sorry if I came across as too argumentative/pre-emptively judgmental -- it's hard to see straight when you're usually blinded by muck! :)

We have to be careful and watch out for one another. But, as a wise man recently said (re: the Boston Marathon and people who commit such acts): "You cannot play into [their] fear. [...] We do not have to be afraid of the dark that they live in."

The CBC is reporting this morning that more arrests are forthcoming and reports are suggesting that further attacks were planned. They are also reporting that the mastermind is a senior al queda operative in Iran. Definitely more to come on this story

let's hear it for the candian police officers who stuck their necks out on the line for catching these guys very quickly. I hope and pray the morons who planned this terrorist attack rots in jail for a long time and I also hope and pray for the passengers and everyone that was on board that day is okay.

let's hear it for the candian police officers who stuck their necks out on the line for catching these guys very quickly. I hope and pray the morons who planned this terrorist attack rots in jail for a long time and I also hope and pray for the passengers and everyone that was on board that day is okay.

latest editorial on the case if interested RHQ...ciao Fishy

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/24/no-room-in-canada-for-ultra-radicals

The CBC is reporting this morning that more arrests are forthcoming and reports are suggesting that further attacks were planned. They are also reporting that the mastermind is a senior al queda operative in Iran. Definitely more to come on this story

Al-Quaeda had operatives in Iran? Iran is a predominately Shia country and I thought Al-Quada was hostile to Shias. Or has this changed?

Al-Quaeda had operatives in Iran? Iran is a predominately Shia country and I thought Al-Quada was hostile to Shias. Or has this changed?

I can only go by the reports I'm hearing on the news but according to the CBC, the RCMP and CSIS are saying that even though the Sunis and Shias are not traditional allies, there has been a softening of the hostilities between the two within Iran. We're not immune from propaganda in this country so this could be complete BS for all I know but, with the recent arrests , the RCMP and CSIS are claiming have found a connection between factions of the two groups and that all fingers point to an alliance with Al Quada.

Archived