Led Zeppelin and MTV....

What i could'nt understand is why after the shambles of Live Aid he would give it another go only 6 months later in Bath.

Quite possibly because the Shaken n' Stirred album (1985) was a commercial failure and Robert had grown weary of what he called the "menopausic rumblings" of the members of his band. On October 14, 1985 he issued a press statement that everyone in his band was out. I can see why he'd then be tempted to indulge himself with Page, Jones & Thompson, if only for a week (just long enough to realize he still preferred to be the captain of his own ship, the pilot of the storm).

About nine months after the Bath rehearsals he entered into a new management deal with Trinifold. Bill Curbishley provided him

wise advice and counsel on how to go about securing further artistic and commercial solo success with his next solo album, Now & Zen.

The concert itself was broadcast not only on MTV, but also on ABC. Dick Clark hosted the ABC broadcast, and he talked from the broadcast booth as "Stairway" began. It got worse.....then they went to a commercial break ! Dick Clark finally announced their 'presence' on stage just as they were about to reach Jimmy's solo. People without cable were mighty pissed.

The other thing I remember was my second favorite guitarist, Stephen Stills. After CSN's set, he refused to leave the stage. He wanted a front row seat for Led Zeppelin, and no one was going to stop him.

Notice how even back in 1990, Jimmy is claiming he is working on his next solo album. He says he is two-thirds down with it. WTF JP? It's been over 23 years of this BS. "Stop Wasting My Time" and put something out. Even if you don't tour, you are too talented just to sit back and out put out nothing but Zeppelin rehashes (as much as we all love them). I guarantee whatever album he would put out would be more original and interesting than just about any artist out there. "Do it!"

Archived