Led Zeppelin and MTV....

Remember back in the day when MTV first started that they seemed obsessed with Zeppelin? They always had little tidbits about them in their news segments. They also covered the Live Aid and 40th Anniversary reunions, they really pushed Jimmy's Outrider tour, and most of all in 1990, they had a Led Zeppelin Weekend (right around when Jimmy put out the first box set). I remember sitting in front of my TV/VCR and recording every little segment since this was before you could find much video concert footage of the band. Other than TSRTS, the only things I owned in 1990 where the Danish TV Special and the short but awesome Chicago '75 footage. Sadly, I paid $70 for each of those VHS tapes at the local bootleg store. The other thing I always dug was during the intro to their MTV News, they had quick little snippets of artists like MJ and Madonna but near the end, they had a quick clip of Jimmy bouncing his head back (I think at the end of the STH solo) from his Outrider tour. They also were partially responsible for getting JP and RP back together for the Unplugged Special in 1994. Anyone else remember anything from the MTV days?

Pretty cool video from 1990....

From Live Aid....

http://youtu.be/qlkIKr0t6Tk

Yes, I have quite a bit of footage I taped off of MTV as well through the years of interviews etc. The Return Of The Tall Cool One, the New Year's Eve Party with RP etc. Someday I would love to learn how to transfer the tapes to the pc and upload the footage that I haven't seen on Youtube yet. I'll have to read up on how to do it. I'll have pull out all of the tapes and compile a list of what I have. Most of it is readily available now, so I'm not sure if it's even worth the time for me to go back through the tapes.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Robert was a wee bit ungracious in the interview, IMO. Jimmy's eye roll says it all. I love watching the old MTV stuff. Thanks for posting this.

wasn't that after they performed and were embarrassed . it seemed like Robert wanted to talk about anything but that. and jimmy seemed like he was kind of not all there.

Maybe so JP78. Robert just comes across as a little pompous, saying "I have my own career now." I never could watch this concert. So not them. But they had not rehearsed. I did love what the young guys said. They seemed to have loved it.

I remember taping some little Zep special they had, it wasn't much really, but then - BAM - I see Bonzo on the stainless steel kit!! Pro shot!! OH MY GOD!! This was the very first inkling that footage existed of the '77 tour. I was just beside myself, I even took photos off the TV for proof, which I still have somewhere. That footage, of course, was from Seattle.

Robert was a wee bit ungracious in the interview, IMO. Jimmy's eye roll says it all. I love watching the old MTV stuff. Thanks for posting this.

jimmy rolled his eyes basically at Roberts statement that "he has" a solo career. Years latter jimmy would make fun of the 80's haircuts . Personally, this video with Phil Collins makes me I'll. What a lame sell out. Robert to would probably like to forget those silly haircuts and clothes. Jimmy...he looked like a hurt pup.....simply wasted and hoping to get his band back, without that lame crappy drummer, Phil Collins

Anyone else remember anything from the MTV days?

One of the original MTV VJs, J.J. Jackson, was a massive fan of the band throughout the 70s and was granted exclusive interviews with Robert to promote his solo career.

My favorite memory of MTV is the night I watched the world premier of Unledded unfold. It was and remains mesmerizing.

I wouldn't guarantee it was the "World Premiere" mind you. I used to fly to the States a lot in the 80s and would regularly see them announce the "World Premiere" of a video which I had seen on TV in the UK already. I guess it's a bit like the "World Series" ;)

(I can't remember the Unledded schedule but as it was on TV in the UK in the early evening I imagine time differences meant it was on later in other parts of the world? Anyone remember specifics? I remember going to a mate's house to watch it).

I wouldn't guarantee it was the "World Premiere" mind you. I used to fly to the States a lot in the 80s and would regularly see them announce the "World Premiere" of a video which I had seen on TV in the UK already. I guess it's a bit like the "World Series" ;)

(I can't remember the Unledded schedule but as it was on TV in the UK in the early evening I imagine time differences meant it was on later in other parts of the world? Anyone remember specifics? I remember going to a mate's house to watch it).

Just to clarify, the MTV premier telecast of Unledded in North America was on Wednesday, October 12, 1994 (Aleister Crowley's birthdate). I believe it was the first telecast anywhere in the world. There was an advance media screening held at the Beacon Theater in New York the day prior with Page & Plant in attendance.

A European press screening of 'Unledded' was held at the Cirque d'Hiver in Paris, France on October 15, 1994 with Page & Plant in attendance.

Phonogram Italia hosted a national premier of 'No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - Unledded' for 1000 invitees at The Factory in Milano, Italy on October 17, 1994. After it was over Page & Plant saluted the crowd from the balcony.

I remember it being on in the early evening here in Az. as well. I still have the VCR tape I recorded it on.

Such mixed emotions about the Jimmy/Robert era of the 90s. I was SO excited to see Unledded.. and of course I loved seeing them live the next year. I also loved some of the arrangements, notably Friends, Four Sticks, and the orchestra accompaniment on Kashmir. That being said, Robert's voice was not in good shape for the live performances on that MTV show.. and I never quite understood how they handled it with JPJ. JPJ was/is a huge reason why Led Zeppelin is so powerful, and their music suffered in his absence, just as it did without Bonzo on drums. Naming their album No Quarter seemed particularly odd given the legacy of JPJ on that song.

I went to that Beacon premier with my girl at the time. The only way to get tickets was through the radio station promoting it. Being young and dumb, I had her flash her ass and we got in. Even though P&P were there, we (aka the crowd) never saw them. After the show, some guy told me they were heading to the China Club so we went over there. We weren't allowed in. :(

Ironically a few weeks later , a friend of mine was at some fashion show in NYC and he got to meet Jimmy. My friend couldn't have cared less since he was more of a hair metal fan. Life is so unfair at times. It was exciting times in 1994!

Here's the Beacon ticket:

944151_536582069716257_1376439107_n_zps3

Ironically a few weeks later , a friend of mine was at some fashion show in NYC and he got to meet Jimmy. My friend couldn't have cared less since he was more of a hair metal fan. Life is so unfair at times. It was exciting times in 1994!

They left New York for Paris on Friday. I presume you mean this occured when they returned to New York in January 1995 for the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

I'm not sure what the details are. I know it wasn't the R&R HOF though. I will attempt to get in touch with my friend and see if he remembers the situation.

Got in touch with my friend. He doesn't remember much other than it was a party in NYC (possibly a fashion one since he used to be in that industry). He said he just shook his hand and it was quick hello, etc.

jimmy rolled his eyes basically at Roberts statement that "he has" a solo career. Years latter jimmy would make fun of the 80's haircuts . Personally, this video with Phil Collins makes me I'll. What a lame sell out. Robert to would probably like to forget those silly haircuts and clothes. Jimmy...he looked like a hurt pup.....simply wasted and hoping to get his band back, without that lame crappy drummer, Phil Collins

I think Jimmy's eyes were rolling around in his head due to the bottle of Jack Daniels he had obviously consumed before going on stage - he could barely stand upright! When he got tangled up in the mike stand during the first song with a billion people watching i had my head in my hands. A legend died that day!

I made the fatal mistake of bragging to all my work colleagues that Zep were gonna be the best band at Live Aid and to be sure to watch them blow everyone else off stage. The next day i walked in and everyone burst of laughing - thanks Jimmy! :sarcastic_hand:

He started to pull the same stupid stunt on the Charlie Rose interview where he talks down Zeppelin as being a just an average band back in Dec 2012. In both cases Jimmy, just looks away in disgust and rightly so.

He started to pull the same stupid stunt on the Charlie Rose interview where he talks down Zeppelin as being a just an average band back in Dec 2012. In both cases Jimmy, just looks away in disgust and rightly so.

In '85, he was asserting he was a solo artist.

In '12, he was asserting he was a solo artist.

In '85, he was asserting he was a solo artist.

What i could'nt understand is why after the shambles of Live Aid and Page obviously in the grip of a major drink problem he would give it another go only 6 months later in Bath.

What i could'nt understand is why after the shambles of Live Aid and Page obviously in the grip of a major drink problem he would give it another go only 6 months later in Bath.

For all the criticism Robert gets regarding playing/not plating with Jimmy, there's no doubt that he feels a special kinship with him. Even after the Live Aid performance Robert recalled that being on stage with Page again was a major "buzz". There's something magic about the man, no doubt!

I'm sure you'll disagree but I never thought Live Aid was as bad as most think it was. In Jimmy's case I thought the SOUND was worse than his actual playing.

Archived