Jimmy donates His Martin Guitar to auction in aid of ABC Trust

kenog

Thanks so much for this Cookie. I am greatly interested in the outcome and who will own the guitar. I wish it were you!!

As do I, I'm excited to see something interesting happening though. Will be livetweeting the bids at @LedZepNews.

With the buyer's premium, it came altogether to £26,250. I think I said to Cookie a few posts back (post 16) that I thought it would go for more than the upper estimate. If the lucky bidder doesn't pick it up directly from Bonhams, they have also got the carriage/courier to pay on top of that price.

It's a nice boost for the ABC Trust, and I am sure a sum like that will benefit quite a few children in need.

Cookie,

Did you put in an internet bid at all? Its all academic now, but what had occurred to me when you said you were considering bidding was that the bidder's premium on the final hammer bid, and the VAT on top doesn't half bump up the price, as you can see from the full cost being £26,250.

It sold to someone in the room rather than on the internet, I think it was the same guy who bought all the other Led Zeppelin lots.

Cookie,

Did you put in an internet bid at all? Its all academic now, but what had occurred to me when you said you were considering bidding was that the bidder's premium on the final hammer bid, and the VAT on top doesn't half bump up the price, as you can see from the full cost being £26,250.

I didn't bother in the end. It's overpriced for an acoustic. Auction fees are so high these days that I don't often bother.

Absolutely agree with you. I was in my local branch of Guitar Guitar, and they have Martins at about £2,000. OK, Jimmy hasn't played them, but........

I didn't bother in the end. It's overpriced for an acoustic. Auction fees are so high these days that I don't often bother.

...You're not seriously griping about money given to charity, are you?

It's not giving money to charity, all depends on if the auction waives the fee, which I doubt they did. It's the fee we were discussing.

'Auction fees are so high these days that I don't often bother. '

Alright then, calm down. (I see you replied to my less-than-intelligent original post, as well. :P)

What were the fees? Everything after £21,000?

Alright then, calm down. (I see you replied to my less-than-intelligent original post, as well. :P)

Don't worry, wasn't shouting. Just couldn't think of how to emphasise text any other way.

They don't state the fees explicitly here, but it's quite high http://www.bonhams.com/how_to_sell/9884/

Melcore,

Yes, there is a commission of the hammer price (final price) and it is listed at the back of the relevant catalogue. In this case, I think it was either 20 or 25%. Then, the bidder has to pay UK sales tax (Value Added Tax) which is currently 20%, and that is payable on the hammer price and the commission also. Then, if you are not collecting the item in person, you have to pay the shipping and handling charges. They will undoubtedly be using a courier who has to insure your item.

Overall, it's not just the winning bid - the overall cost mounts up drastically as you can see with this guitar. Unfortunately, when people bid via the internet, they don't realise they have all these additional costs to pay. That is what Cookie was getting at. Before bidding, you have to make sure you can afford the extra costs.

Archived