Jimmy donates His Martin Guitar to auction in aid of ABC Trust

kenog

Jimmy has donated to the ABC Trust the Martin guitar which he played at the Roy Harper 70th birthday concert at the Royal Albert Hall. The guitar is to be auctioned by Bonhams Auctioneers with the proceeds going to Action For Brazilian Children.

The item is lot no. 226. (For LZ collectors, lot nos. 227 – 230 are also rare LZ items, with 227 being a first pressing of Led Zeppelin 1).

The auction takes place at 1300hrs on 3 July 2013.

Rock & Pop Memorabilia 1950s & 1960s

Jimmy Page: A Martin D-28 Marquis 'Birthday Special 2007' guitar owned and played by Jimmy Page,

serial no. 1151442, label inside body signed by J.R. Warner and C.F. Martin IV, fingerboard inlaid with Led Zeppelin and Zodiac symbols and the guitarist's name, in original hard case, together with a signed letter from Jimmy Page and a colour photograph of him playing the guitar

Estimate:

£10,000 - 15,000
€12,000 - 18,000
US$ 16,000 - 23,000

Footnotes
  • The letter accompanying this lot states that:
    Jimmy Page acquired the Martin guitar on 15th November 2006. It was a guitar that had been kindly donated to the ABC Trust/Jimmy Page (ABC Patron). Jimmy Page played this guitar at home and at the Roy Harper 70th Birthday Concert at London's Royal Festival Hall on 5th November 2011, where he played the iconic 'The Same Old Rock' with Roy, to celebrate the 1971 recording of the album 'Stormcock' and Roy's 70th birthday. Footage of Jimmy playing this guitar is seen at;

Sold on behalf of the Action for Brazil's Children Trust.

The ABC Trust is dedicated to helping the street children and most vulnerable young people of Brazil. By raising awareness and funding it supports the work of local, community-led organisations which give children the education, support and inspiration that they need to transform their own lives.

Category: Collectibles / Entertainment Memorabilia

Lot 227 (the first pressing of LZ I) has the proceeds going to Oxfam which makes me wonder who donated that?

There were a number of those art prints for sale on the ABC Trust pages for a long time.

It looks like he also donated this art print, it's the only other item in the auction raising funds for the same charity as Jimmy's guitar http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20771/lot/229/

Lot 227 (the first pressing of LZ I) has the proceeds going to Oxfam which makes me wonder who donated that?

There were a number of those art prints for sale on the ABC Trust pages for a long time.

Interesting, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

No, he's not joking. The price listed on the link provided by Cookie has the dollar amount in US dollars as between $15,000 and $23,000. I have a Martin HD-28 that was expensive, but no where near that amount. The value is based on it being owned and marked by JP.

No,. James, I certainly haven't done so. I just checked back tonight to see the date of the auction. I have a feeling that it might go for well above the estimated price. Great if you can get the report and post here. :thumbsup:

Did anyone receive a condition report for the item? I've just requested one, will post here when I get it.

No, he's not joking. The price listed on the link provided by Cookie has the dollar amount in US dollars as between $15,000 and $23,000. I have a Martin HD-28 that was expensive, but no where near that amount. The value is based on it being owned and marked by JP.

It is very expensive for an acoustic guitar that Jimmy played once in public.

I've registered to bid, and will see what happens next week though.

No,. James, I certainly haven't done so. I just checked back tonight to see the date of the auction. I have a feeling that it might go for well above the estimated price. Great if you can get the report and post here. :thumbsup:

Will definitely post it here when I get it.

You've registered to bid? Is that so that you can get the condition report, or are you seriously thinking of bidding?

It is very expensive for an acoustic guitar that Jimmy played once in public.

I've registered to bid, and will see what happens next week though.

Thanks for remembering to do this, Cookie. I believe that it was the American businessman, JR Warner, who is mentioned in the condition report, who gifted it to Jimmy - I heard he had it made especially for JPP.

Let us know if you bid, even if you are unsuccessful. I notice that there is a signed letter from Jimmy included in the lot!!

I've just had the condition report sent to me. They've locked copying of the PDF (!) so I've taken screenshots of the interesting bits:

Thanks for remembering to do this, Cookie. I believe that it was the American businessman, JR Warner, who is mentioned in the condition report, who gifted it to Jimmy - I heard he had it made especially for JPP.

Let us know if you bid, even if you are unsuccessful. I notice that there is a signed letter from Jimmy included in the lot!!

No worries. They've let me know that the time of the auction is 3:30 pm on the 3rd. Probably won't bid, but will share what it goes for.

Archived