Jimmys' new favorite band - Rival Sons

feather in the wind

Rival Sons is a breath of fresh air. Playing rock and roll pure and unadulterated. If your criticism is that they lack originality, gimme a break, Page ripped off all his heroes. Rival Sons play soul and blues just like ALL of the British Invasion bands did in the 60's. Thank god someone's carrying that torch! To boot, I'll quote Duke Elllington: "great artists steal; mediocre artists borrow"... If you say they are not exciting, then you're probably not a Zep fan! Enjoy your watered down Pat-Benatar-meets-Black-Crowes-sad-excuse-for-a-lead-singer, St Jude band. Talk about one of the "nastiest" persons I've met...

great example of chumming the water. Anytime I have learned about a band or artist that is potent has been from a friend. Not once from a rag or industry spew. Music marketing tends to be putting turds in a box with edgy print, wrap and bows with some sort of free or limited edition drivel. It still smells and most people only open the box once or twice and its discarded.

NO has so many local artists that are authentic. Would take most any of them over what is available on iTunes.

Erm, Jimmy learned about Rival Sons thru a friend, Ross Halfin. So there. Do you doubt his taste. Not sure St. Jude is a fav of his; can't find it anywhere. Anyway, why all the hate on our hero's new fav?! Rival Sons ROCK!

Rival Sons is a breath of fresh air. Playing rock and roll pure and unadulterated. If your criticism is that they lack originality, gimme a break, Page ripped off all his heroes. Rival Sons play soul and blues just like ALL of the British Invasion bands did in the 60's. Thank god someone's carrying that torch! To boot, I'll quote Duke Elllington: "great artists steal; mediocre artists borrow"... If you say they are not exciting, then you're probably not a Zep fan! Enjoy your watered down Pat-Benatar-meets-Black-Crowes-sad-excuse-for-a-lead-singer, St Jude band. Talk about one of the "nastiest" persons I've met...

So you come on a Led Zeppelin website sychophanting for The Rival Sons as if they were the second coming, claim that JP ripped off all his heroes as an excuse for their " unadulterated playing", diss the Black Crowes, with whom JP has actually performed, and last but not least, nyah nyah, nyah, if you don't find them exciting you're not a Led Zep fan.

This has got to be the funniest shit I've read all day!

Edited for punctuation.

I hate Rival Sons. Dull, formulaic music, and their frontman is, and I quote, 'the nastiest man I've had the displeasure of meeting'.

Hello, i'm Rival Sons publicist, i don't normally reply to chat on the internet, but i read this thread and i really felt the need to reply and tell you that personally Rival Sons have changed my life, that's why i work with them - and that is partially due to Jay Buchanan, a man of great charisma and hugely inspirational. Having set up all of Rival Sons photoshoots, i would love to know who said that, i'm sure you're not going to mention it, but i am massively surprised a photographer would say that about Jay. Anyway, i realise its weird i've replied to this, but what you said was personal about him, and i wanted to publicly support him as someone who knows him and the band very well and also say and i'm shocked anyone would say that about him!

Anyway, here's a clip i filmed on tour with them in Oslo, i'm glad their are so many supporters of the band here, thank you:

Hello, i'm Rival Sons publicist, i don't normally reply to chat on the internet, but i read this thread and i really felt the need to reply and tell you that personally Rival Sons have changed my life, that's why i work with them - and that is partially due to Jay Buchanan, a man of great charisma and hugely inspirational. Having set up all of Rival Sons photoshoots, i would love to know who said that, i'm sure you're not going to mention it, but i am massively surprised a photographer would say that about Jay. Anyway, i realise its weird i've replied to this, but what you said was personal about him, and i wanted to publicly support him as someone who knows him and the band very well and also say and i'm shocked anyone would say that about him!

Anyway, here's a clip i filmed on tour with them in Oslo, i'm glad their are so many supporters of the band here, thank you:

Thanks for commenting, good to see you're so engaged with the audience here.

Unfortunately my chat with the photographer is off the record, so I can't share their name.

I work in the music industry in London and from the industry side at least, the feeling towards Rival Sons is that they're not easy to work with. But then again, so were Led Zeppelin. At the end of the day, it's the music that matters, and their music simply doesn't do it for me.

Led Zep fans tend to be awesome people i'm very happy to engage, you probably already know me if you're in 'the biz' such as it is. However, i'll just say i've been with Rival Sons since before their first European show at London at the Barfly, i am quite devoted to them and that is partly because they're so much fun to work with, and partly because i'm in awe of their creative process and their song writing skill. Of course they are all characters, that's part of why they work, but just as an example every tour they take me out to dinner from their own money, they have sent me to a spa before as a thank you, i spend time on the road with them and they welcome me like a little sister. Its not actually many bands that do that, or actually thank you in public lots. It takes a nice bunch of guys to say Thank you. Jay is no Jared Leto. He's quite direct, but he has a great outlook. Here's some of his solo stuff, make of it what you will:

- Thanks!

In response to cookie0024:

I find it difficult to believe that your photographer friend has ever worked with Rival Sons. Maybe he was shooting pics from the press row at a show, but not a photoshoot with just him and the band. I'd love to see his photos, though. I've spoken with the band numerous times. Jay is unfailingly polite, respectful, and certainly not nasty in any way, shape, or form. In fact, the whole band is that way. No rock star egos from them at all.

In response to cookie0024:

I find it difficult to believe that your photographer friend has ever worked with Rival Sons. Maybe he was shooting pics from the press row at a show, but not a photoshoot with just him and the band. I'd love to see his photos, though. I've spoken with the band numerous times. Jay is unfailingly polite, respectful, and certainly not nasty in any way, shape, or form. In fact, the whole band is that way. No rock star egos from them at all.

As I've said above, I'm not trying to insult the band, just saying that a lot of people in the London music scene are wary of them. Wish I could say more but have to be careful.

Are you sure it isn't due to the fact that we, as Americans, are just a bit more brash than most Brits? We just tend to let it all hang out at times. This is not to knock the UK mind you. I love the Brits. I'm just wondering if the perceptions of those you speak of aren't due to a cultural misunderstanding.

Are you sure it isn't due to the fact that we, as Americans, are just a bit more brash than most Brits? We just tend to let it all hang out at times. This is not to knock the UK mind you. I love the Brits. I'm just wondering if the perceptions of those you speak of aren't due to a cultural misunderstanding.

It could be. I wasn't at the shoot, so I can't say exactly what it was that caused the comments.

This is true. Clearly Rival Sons are not reinventing the wheel or likely to change the world, but if you listen to them play live, they are obviously talented musicians with a big Zeppelin flavour (especially the drummer) so you can see why Jimmy approves and you would think most Zep fans would at least appreciate some of their stuff on a certain level, too.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Which, I think unfortunately includes the possibility that Page likes bands like these because he is well aware of the Zeppelin influence and so takes advantage by lending them his endorsement in the press. Good business for him, because the more people like this new band, and the more Page gets his name linked with them, the more people ultimately get reminded of Zeppelin, which is more money in the bank for Page. Sure, he may legitimately like the band, but it would be silly to think that he can't tell what sound they are going for and the opportunity he has to create new fans/customers.

Page has done this kind of thing many times before, too. And in many cases it's with not so good bands. Remember the band Puddle of Mudd? Or Limp Bizkit? A band gets popular, wears a Zeppelin t-shirt in a music video, or mentions Zeppelin in an interview, and the next thing you know, Page is at their show getting photographed backstage with them, or worse he's onstage with them doing a cover of a Zeppelin song. I like the White Stripes, but I don't think it was a coincidence that Page asked Jack White to be in It Might Get Loud, at the height of the Stripes popularity. That was an opportunity to get the entire legion of White Stripes fans turned on to Zeppelin's music. I was surprised that White even bothered to participate, as he certainly didn't need the fame boost at the time. A real star doesn't need it. How many times did we see Jimmy collaborate like that with people in Zeppelin's day? Very rarely.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Which, I think unfortunately includes the possibility that Page likes bands like these because he is well aware of the Zeppelin influence and so takes advantage by lending them his endorsement in the press. Good business for him, because the more people like this new band, and the more Page gets his name linked with them, the more people ultimately get reminded of Zeppelin, which is more money in the bank for Page. Sure, he may legitimately like the band, but it would be silly to think that he can't tell what sound they are going for and the opportunity he has to create new fans/customers.

Page has done this kind of thing many times before, too. And in many cases it's with not so good bands. Remember the band Puddle of Mudd? Or Limp Bizkit? A band gets popular, wears a Zeppelin t-shirt in a music video, or mentions Zeppelin in an interview, and the next thing you know, Page is at their show getting photographed backstage with them, or worse he's onstage with them doing a cover of a Zeppelin song. I like the White Stripes, but I don't think it was a coincidence that Page asked Jack White to be in It Might Get Loud, at the height of the Stripes popularity. That was an opportunity to get the entire legion of White Stripes fans turned on to Zeppelin's music. I was surprised that White even bothered to participate, as he certainly didn't need the fame boost at the time. A real star doesn't need it. How many times did we see Jimmy collaborate like that with people in Zeppelin's day? Very rarely.

Page didn't ask Jack White to be in It Might Get Loud, the director handled the casting.

Davis Guggenheim explains it in an interview for The Washington Post:

WCP: Whose idea was it?

[Producer] Thomas Tull said, “I want to make a film about the electric guitar.” And then Lesley Chilcott, Peter Afterman, and I thought, How do we do this different? Rock stars are kind of mysterious creatures. How do you puncture through that?

WCP: How did you pick the three?

Jimi Hendrix was not available — we checked. You know, there's a burnout factor. Some rock stars, sober or not, you have to put subtitles for what they're saying...so I didn't want to do that. We wanted to find three guys who could [intelligibly] talk about what they did. These guys are searchers; people who've found their voice. This is a movie about three distinct characters and how they found their voice. I think that's [the best way] to sum up what the movie's about.

WCP: Had they met each other before?

Glancing hellos...I don't think Edge and Jack ever met. I think Jimmy and Jack had met.

I think it's possible (I don't know what's going on in Jimmy's mind) but on the Brian May Whore-O-Meter I would put Jimmy at maybe, a two? a very low whorage level.

I definitely think Jimmy (and Robert) were happy to be associated with Jeff Buckley and become a patron of his music to some degree (Jimmy even appearing in a posthumous documentary) not only because they were fans of his dad, but also because Jeff was a massively talented and influenced by Zep; appropriating that influence in a way that most people influenced by Zep, don't. It reflected very well on them in a way that influencing, say, Kingdom Come, didn't

So you come on a Led Zeppelin website sychophanting for The Rival Sons as if they were the second coming, claim that JP ripped off all his heroes as an excuse for their " unadulterated playing", diss the Black Crowes, with whom JP has actually performed, and last but not least, nyah nyah, nyah, if you don't find them exciting you're not a Led Zep fan.

This has got to be the funniest shit I've read all day!

Minus your lack of reading comprehension, your pretty creative! None of your aforementioned response has anything to do with my "sycophanting" - which is not a word - again very creative! Anyway, so crazy that there's such poignant aversion to a new band carrying the rock and roll torch in this modern climate of s*^t-polished music we have.

Edited for punctuation.

Thanks for commenting, good to see you're so engaged with the audience here.

Unfortunately my chat with the photographer is off the record, so I can't share their name.

I work in the music industry in London and from the industry side at least, the feeling towards Rival Sons is that they're not easy to work with. But then again, so were Led Zeppelin. At the end of the day, it's the music that matters, and their music simply doesn't do it for me.

The press are so finicky and sensitive. They hated Zep; lambasted them even. I guess your opinion is pretty firm that rival sons isn't the bees knees ;) it's just weird to hear such aversion to them (especially here) to me. There's so much crap out there and we finally have a rock band with a soul, R&B, blues background with incredible musicians who write actual songs who aren't hard on the eyes. Even if they're all a complete bunch of d^*ks to a photographer! Haha anyway, enjoyed the back and forth (hate is such a strong word!;)

Come back and argue when you've passed remedial English. Have a nice day. I'm outta here.

Running away so early? I thought my retort was quite eloquent. ;) you conflated my initial sycophantic quote to all the wrong deductions! That's why i said it was creative. But obviously you read it through the lens of attacking someone who doesn't share your hate for an awesome new band. And I was generally responding to the "sycophantic" chanting for St Jude in a rival sons thread; st jude is black crowes mock - nothing to do w JP's performing with BC, which i saw live, which was awesome. Anyway, just wondering if you've ever been to a rival sons show? Someone here said "different strokes"... I guess that's what we have here. Don't run away! Attack me and run? C'mon .... ;)

How are we simultaneously talking about these two bands? What is St. Jude doing? Who are they touring with? How often have they left their safe little music scene in London? How many songs do they have on the radio? Since, this post has caught my attention, I'm googling St Jude and not finding much. Therefore I can't really take them or you people seriously, until they start working. I'm accused of being a sycophant then some irrelevant band gets tossed in the mix as the answer to Rival Sons? Wow. That's a stretch. Her band is great. Great Players. She's pretty luke warm; and she is not even in league with a Jay Buchanan....however I'm glad they're out there - they just need to work harder. Maybe they should book a tour with Rival Sons ;-)

While I wouldn't want to call Jimmy a musicwhore: Puff Daddy, Leona Lewis, New York Stock Exchange. None of those were serious artistic moves.

Which is why he gets a 2 on my Brian May Whore-O-Meter; for these lapses in judgment in his later years. He was pretty clean up until 1998 until Puff Daddy came along (God knows how he convinced Jimmy to do that)

How are we simultaneously talking about these two bands? What is St. Jude doing? Who are they touring with? How often have they left their safe little music scene in London? How many songs do they have on the radio? Since, this post has caught my attention, I'm googling St Jude and not finding much. Therefore I can't really take them or you people seriously, until they start working. I'm accused of being a sycophant then some irrelevant band gets tossed in the mix as the answer to Rival Sons? Wow. That's a stretch. Her band is great. Great Players. She's pretty luke warm; and she is not even in league with a Jay Buchanan....however I'm glad they're out there - they just need to work harder. Maybe they should book a tour with Rival Sons ;-)

Mate, I only posted that because she mentioned Zeppelin in the video. I had never heard of the band until this thread. Someone else said they didn't like RIval Sons because they were derivative, yet they did like St Jude - which I found strange - as St Jude sound more generic of the two bands. I'll send you a transcript of the thread because the internet is a serious business.

I find it funny that soo many Zeppelin fans hate Rival Sons since they are so Zep influenced. Wouldn't this mean that you actually don't enjoy Led Zepplins music and have just jumped on a band wagon? I think Rival Sons are the best new band out there and hope they do well for themselves and keep bringing us some real music instead of that over produced crap that's out there. I also find it quite amusing that someone commented saying that the Rival Sons are jerks and the lead singer is soo full of himself. Really people? I've happened to have the liberty of meeting all of the band members while they were on tour in Canada and they were some of the nicest guys I have met in the biz.

Lies get you nowhere and if you are just another band/person trying to bring someone else down to gain status in the world it just shows what kind of character you really are. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but when you are spreading lies there's a problem. So come on, let's all give our heads a shake and enjoy a band that play their own instruments and actually sing their own lyrics. Don't hate, appreciate! Being hateful is not that Zeppelin of you.

Archived