Tightest live version of Nobody's Fault But Mine

JesseNoah

I love the song, but it seems like the call and response part between the vocals/guitar, and the bass/drums was never played very tightly...does anyone know which date from any year is the tightest the band ever played the song and got that part right?

I love the song, but it seems like the call and response part between the vocals/guitar, and the bass/drums was never played very tightly...does anyone know which date from any year is the tightest the band ever played the song and got that part right?

That's interesting, as I seem to have the opposite reaction. NFBM usually was one of the more dependable songs during the 1977 Tour...I cannot really think of one that stands out as being a disaster in the way that Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, or Achilles could be when they weren't clicking on all cylinders. Granted, I haven't heard EVERY NFBM, but they seemed to nail it at all the LA Forum shows.

I will have to delve into this for further study.

The bass guitar is humongous on the record, so im thinkin the celebration day version is closest, cause it sounds so good. Plus ya have page and jones doin that sustain bit, during plants harmonica playin, it let that space in there with jasons drums, sounded good. I feel the 80 versions were basically tight, they were sorta showcasing the song starting those shows. Really that song, is just as powerful as big who songs from that time, wont get fooled again, who are you. But many think of it, as just another zeppelin song.

Bonham doesnt restrain on record version, ofcourse not live versions. With the great recording quality of nobodys fault, on presence, i think the live versions have that looser framework sound.

The ahahahah guitar and vocal part, with the rhythm section punches weaved around...the phrasing live compared to the studio is very different!

Listening to some of the suggestions, I guess they just did it the best they could live, and didnt try to copy what they did in the studio...which goes for most everything they played live I guess :beat:

NFBM usually was one of the more dependable songs during the 1977 Tour...I cannot really think of one that stands out as being a disaster in the way that Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, or Achilles could be when they weren't clicking on all cylinders.

I'd be curious to hear the Tempe version, see if they managed to pull it off on the night :lol:

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" is a very fun song to play...I bet they enjoyed playing it quite a bit. I've heard a few versions where Page's solo can be kind of iffy, but the only 'bad' ones I can think of are San Diego 19/6/77 and Nuremberg 27/6/80- in other words, when John Bonham was not up to par.

Hard to pick one 'best' or 'tightest' version...it's a hard song to handicap unlike, say, "Ten Years Gone"...