2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

That's quite an array of spirits zepscoda. I imagine you might need all of them to watch this current Rangers team.... :lol:

Well Darvish goes vs Yankees tomorrow. I hope they show up. We get a day off and should hit the runway before the Angels. If I said the Brewers were toast I still believe they will be in the end. If they win the division I will be shocked. They just do not impress me. I have seen them on MLB enough to have an opinion. I do not know what happened to Cincy recently but they are still in striking distance and the Cardinals are probably the team to beat. But my radio guy studies the game well and I will be honest I do not pay alot of attention to that divisioin. He likes the Pirates and for the life of me I do not know why. It could be a great race but the winner will lose in the playoffs first series. I will guarantee that. The Dodgers, Giants or Nats will beat anyone in that division.

Right now Toronto has passed Seattle for the second wild card, for what its worth. Seattle has some real good pitchers, starters and a couple of solid bull pen guys. But they lack hitting in a big big way. They should try and make a deal for a right handed hitter. They could be dangerous in a short series. But not 7. So now CBS is reporting the Dodgers are interested in getting Lester from the Red Sox and the Red Sox are listening. Clearly meaning they are raising the white flag.

I think I missed that Chen play on the highlights--at least, I don't remember seeing it.

Toronto and those damn Yankees have passed Seattle in the Wild Card standings. I'm kind of rooting for Seattle to get one of those Wild Card spots and make it into the postseason. It would give the whole country a chance to see King Felix on a national stage and I think he would show up big for Seattle in the playoffs...

I think I missed that Chen play on the highlights--at least, I don't remember seeing it.

Toronto and those damn Yankees have passed Seattle in the Wild Card standings. I'm kind of rooting for Seattle to get one of those Wild Card spots and make it into the postseason. It would give the whole country a chance to see King Felix on a national stage and I think he would show up big for Seattle in the playoffs...

I would not count Seattle out. They just had to play those heavy hitters from the East. The yankees and Toronto will have their turn. It was The first game vs Seattle. A Gem. Runner on third is coming home in a 0-0 game in the first inning and Chen fields the ball and throws it with his glove to the catcher, Joseph put the tag in the runner. It was challenged for God knows what reason? The announcers were surprised they challenged. He did not block the runners path and applied the tag clearly before the runner reached the plate. Chen had no time to flip the ball into his throwing hand. It really killed their momentum.

Man I love this stadium in SF

Edited by LedZeppfan77

I do! What's not to love :D

The sky is the limit. Now about these Dodgers. They are in pursuit of Price and Lester. My God. Just imagine that starting rotation. Kershaw and Beckett and I forget the other great pitcher they have at the moment, but their payroll is simply nuts. It will be tough to beat them but the AL team could. I do not see them losing the NLCS. I see the Nationals or maybe the Braves being the team they will have to beat, but beat them I believe they shall. Simply because they have pretty much bought the NL pennant in my book. Back in the 70s no two teams were better than the Dodgers and Orioles for developing talent and bringing them up to the majors. Many a great rivalry between the old Dodgers and the Big Red Machine. I am a witness to Baltimore's developement living in the town their farm system was in for decades. I will never go to a Red Wings game again unless its to see Norfolk in town and to see a prospect for the Orioles and cheer for Norfolk. Best I stay away. I had box seats back in the days of Bobby Grich and Don Baylor and Terry Crowley. So now it appears the Dodgers are taking the route the Yankees have taken for so long since old George (RIP) changed the game from farm systems to free agency. At least for his own team. Those teams that have not been able to put up the money have paid the price.

Speaking of starting rotations, John Smolz was just on MLB as he was in Cooperstown yesterday. He has to be a cinch to get in. I often think in my mind, who was better between Maddox, Seaver and Palmer? Tough tough call. Defensively, as far as fielding the ball, Maddox had Jim and Tom beat. That Atlanta rotation was really great

The Dodgers had the payroll to buy the pennant last year & didn't--so I would not be shocked if they failed to do it again this year, although the thought of Lester and Price possibly being Dodgers is scary....

The Rays and Red Sox continue to throw verbal bouquets at each other. I wonder when there next series is--I imagine someone from the Rays will try to throw one by Ortiz's earhole...

Edited by paul carruthers

The Dodgers had the payroll to buy the pennant last year & didn't--so I would not be shocked if they failed to do it again this year, although the thought of Lester and Price possibly being Dodgers is scary....

The Rays and Red Sox continue to throw verbal bouquets at each other. I wonder when there next series is--I imagine someone from the Rays will try to throw one by Ortiz's earhole...

Memories of Pedro Martinez and the Yankee battles. Bad blood and they are both sweeping the cellar if one can believe it. They have a ton of work if they think they can catch my boys. I think the Red Sox have seen the light and realize this season is for pride. Tampa is probably not sure. I cannot see them trading Price or Zobrist who is also in teh discussion, but with I believe a different team? Not sure who I heard them mention on MLB channel which I love having. I watch Quick Pitch in the morning, highlights of the previous days action. Adding Price or Lester to their current rotation would solidly make their starting rotation better than the Tigers. Do not laugh, but I am very happy with the rotation we have right now. Tillman, Chen both pitching very well as is Norris and Gonzalez and even Gausman. We do not have the household names, but a very good bullpen on top of it with a team that leads the majors in HR's can make you dangerous. I would not want Price because I cannnot stand him. To me Kershaw is the best starter in the game right now. Man, the Braves almost had a collision in the infield as I type. Braves and Padres are on MLB right now.

So to me its far more likely we will hear of Lester going to the Dodgers than Price because Tampa is indeed in the race, as the wild card is only 4 games out. And they are red hot. Trading Zobrist would be raising the white flag as much as trading Price would be IMO. Maybe it will depend on their next series? I have to go see who they play next.

Milsquakee is next for Tampa. I hope the Brewskies win a couple. But doubt it.

Look at this damn fool in a Padres uniform behind the dugout standing with his glove on! Ha

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Bobby Cox has his day. 1971 he runs out of Silver Stadium in a downpour on the way to the team bus. I ran up to him not having a clue who he was and figured, let me ask for an autograph of a player from the opposing team. He signed it and I look and wonder, who in the hell is Bobby Cox? Some nobody kid in the Yankees farm system I am thinking. Oh how I wish I still had that autograph. It was nice of him to stop and sign it for me. Now over 40 yrs later he is in the Hall. I was 14 at the time and had not yet even seen Led Zeppelin. That would come 6 years later.

Nice story Rick. Funny how life works, getting some guy's autograph & years later, he's a Hall of Famer....

I still kick myself. Had his and I had Jack Kemp's in a Dr Suess book for 30 years. That too is gone. Likely my ex wife's work

His card from around '61

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Nice story Rick. Funny how life works, getting some guy's autograph & years later, he's a Hall of Famer....

Yeah, someone who worked for me at an amusement park gave me some Yankees baseball cards that he had. I put them in a space with business cards, park tickets, etc. A couple of years ago I looked at them and one is a Derek Jeter with his minor league stats on the back, in mint condition. I know cards don't have high demand like they used to, but it was cool to find nonetheless.

Rick, I used to hang out in the parking lot, by the team bus, waiting for autographs every year at spring training games. Could believe all the players I had....had being the operative word. I loved the game so much back then!

Yeah, someone who worked for me at an amusement park gave me some Yankees baseball cards that he had. I put them in a space with business cards, park tickets, etc. A couple of years ago I looked at them and one is a Derek Jeter with his minor league stats on the back, in mint condition. I know cards don't have high demand like they used to, but it was cool to find nonetheless.

Rick, I used to hang out in the parking lot, by the team bus, waiting for autographs every year at spring training games. Could believe all the players I had....had being the operative word. I loved the game so much back then!

Yes its great when you can hang on to them. I am starting to love the game again as my team is finally good again. I have waited for years and stayed loyal. I believe its going to pay off, the Orioles have some good things ahead of them IMO> I just wish Wieters was here. Just imagine that lineup with him too. Anyone see that Toronto and Boston score? Its 14-1 Jays at last check. Dickey has the knuckle ball working. I think Lackey will be a Dodger by tomorrow.

That's quite the ass whoopin' the Jays are hanging on the Sawx! Rick, I'm guessing you wanted Boston in that series, considering Toronto and the Yanks are your closest competition, but I'm not sure.

Yes but its no big deal. The Yankees are losing. I cant believe Washington blew a 6-0 lead and lost to Miami. The Pirates have the bases loaded in the top of the first at SF. Lots of strange shit. We have the Angels coming in tomorrow and I like our chances tomorrow with Tillman on the mound. He has been great and had lousy luck but I think he will win tomorrow. Chen has gotten alot of run support. Toronto is a very up and down team. I do not know what to make of them but I do not fear them in the long run. I believe we are better.

Babe Ruth said that playing in Atlanta was like playing in an oven. :)

Giants continue to skid.

Dirty rotten lousy bums that they are. I took them on my streak contest and they shoved it up my arse. I hope the Dodgers bury them. Back to work tonight and Tillman should be ready to put up a good game. Time to start getting away from the pack, and most notably Toronto. I would expect Lester to be a Dodger by sundown