2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Okay, cool. So the Baltimore Orioles have one of the best records this year and they are serious contenders to make if to the 2014 championship series. I really do not follow the American League so much, however, since I started replying to this topic (on a Forum about Led Zeppelin, no less), I have taken notice (also because on My phone I have an App called MLB At Bat that provides Me with up to dates and real-time Baseball scores from around the League).

With that being said, I also watch the MLB network channel, as many also do, and the hosts said earlier today, and this is a direct quote, "Never count out the Saint Louis Cardinals in September".

I agree with that statement and quote, because the Mighty Saint Louis Cardinals have been in the National League Championship Series for the last 3 years IN A ROW. The Saint Louis Cardinals will always be a Great Baseball Team and World Series Contenders every Year till the End of Time. How many other Major League teams can really claim that? When, if ever, have the Orioles been in the American League Championship 3 years in a row?

I will say this again, even if the Saint Louis Cardinal do not happen to do what I think They can Do and not make it to this years World Series, I am and will ALWAYS be Proud of the Second Best World Series WINNERS of All-Time. And that Second Best World Series Team Winner is, you may or may have not guessed it, but IT IS THE MIGHTY SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS!!!

LedZeppfan77, can you really justify, rationalize or downplay anything I have just posted about the past regarding My team and yours? When was the last time the Baltimore Orioles were in the American League championship series 3 years in a row? (I think NEVER).

I do not know you personally, however, I do not know what kind of response you will give to My question to you. I say keep it cool and hope that your team and MY team do not have to face each other because, as history as proven, the Saint Louis Cardinals are more of a World Series Caliber Team the 2014 Orioles.

They went to 3 world series in a row in the 70's Mr know it all. The Orioles are doing all of this without Wieters and Machado and now without Pearce. Pearce thank God will be back maybe even today. Manny Machado and Matt Wieters will not. Still like our chances without them. The Orioles have not been around as long as teams like the Yankees and Cardinals so you must take that into account. I am not happy with what the ownership did after the Series win in Ripken's rookie year. There were many bad years I will admit that. But if you think St Louis is going to the series that is your choice and as a fan you should believe. I do not think they will beat the Dodgers and who knows what is up with SF now as they are on fire. The Cardinals and Brewers are both losing and its like neither of them want the division. These Orioles are better than these Cardinals I will tell you that

Going to the game today. Hope it doesn't rain.

And KingBozo, the O's were in the Series 3 years in a row... 1969, 70, and 71.

This rant went on for a while, but I've thought better of it. Have a lovely day, all

Sickening isnt it? Have a good time and Go O's. Paul you are right about Detroit.

Going to the game today. Hope it doesn't rain.

And KingBozo, the O's were in the Series 3 years in a row... 1969, 70, and 71.

This rant went on for a while, but I've thought better of it. Have a lovely day, all

Okay but that was over 45 years ago. The Cardinals have been to the National championship in the last 3 years. 2011, 2012, 2013.

Winning the 2011 World Series and losing the 2013 World Series. I would say that the Saint Louis Cardinals are a very consistent Team.

Okay but that was over 45 years ago. The Cardinals have been to the National championship in the last 3 years. 2011, 2012, 2013.

Winning the 2011 World Series and losing the 2013 World Series. I would say that the Saint Louis Cardinals are a very consistent Team.

I am getting sick of this Orioles and Cardinals comparison. We are not even rivals. I do not get this new trade. Kellie Johnson is now an Oriole. Why did we need him? Pearce is OK as far as I know. We know Manny is done but we are doing fine. What do we need an ex Red Sox/Yankee for?

I am getting sick of this Orioles and Cardinals comparison. We are not even rivals. I do not get this new trade. Kellie Johnson is now an Oriole. Why did we need him? Pearce is OK as far as I know. We know Manny is done but we are doing fine. What do we need an ex Red Sox/Yankee for?

He's just trying to wind you up, Rick. Don't pay him no mind.

Rick, it must feel mighty good, eating those Minnesota cupcakes. The schedule is looking real good for Baltimore in the foreseeable future. That 8 game lead may swell to double digits. I'm sure ebk is having a great time as well.

Strider, that 4 game sweep is looking possible...

I know...what were the odds of that happening? Unfortunately, due to work I missed them all.

Round 4 to the Angels! SWEEP! :yay:

Edited by Strider

Rick, it must feel mighty good, eating those Minnesota cupcakes. The schedule is looking real good for Baltimore in the foreseeable future. That 8 game lead may swell to double digits. I'm sure ebk is having a great time as well.

Yes its 9 now and the Yankees are done in my book. I think he means every word he says Strider. He follows the NL and not the AL? Who does that? We did a number on St louis. And we will again in the very off chance we meet in the Series. I expect the O's and Angels may meet in the ALCS. I just hope Pearce is ready. Losing Manny and Matt was enough. just imagine if we had them

SF has really woken up

Edited by LedZeppfan77

You said never. I just thought you'd like to know you were wrong.

Okay...it was sooooo hot and sooooo humid out there. And we were up 12-3 and had to bring in the closer. Nothing quite like a 3 1/2 hour 8 1/2 inning game... Oy

Dinner was good. :)

Redbirds report:

Saturday, August 30, 2014: Doubleheader Game One: Cardinals versus Cubs. Cardinals lose 5-1.

Game two: Cardinals win 13-2. The Cardinals score 9 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning.

Sunday, August 31, 2014: Cardinal versus Cubs. The Cubs score 5 runs in the 2nd inning. Cubs 5 - Cardinals 0. The Saint Louis Cardinals comeback to win the game 9-6.

The Saint Louis Cardinals are now tied with the Milwaukee Brewers for First place in the National League Central Division.

Again, Never count out the Saint Louis Cardinals in September. They have proven that in the last 3 years. 3 years in a row, 3 trips to the National League Championship Series (NLCS). 2011. 2012. 2013. (And a very real possibility in this current year of 2014).

What other Major League Baseball team can claim that amazing feat in the last 5-10 years?

Edited by kingzoso

Redbirds report:

Saturday, August 30, 2014: Doubleheader Game One: Cardinals versus Cubs. Cardinals lose 5-1.

Game two: Cardinals win 13-2. The Cardinals score 9 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning.

Sunday, August 31, 2014: Cardinal versus Cubs. The Cubs score 5 runs in the 2nd inning. Cubs 5 - Cardinals 0. The Saint Louis Cardinals comeback to win the game 9-6.

The Saint Louis Cardinals are now tied with the Milwaukee Brewers for First place in the National League Central Division. y

Again, Never count out the Saint Louis Cardinals in September. They have proven that in the last 3 years. 3 years in a row, 3 trips to the National League Championship Series (NLCS). 2011. 2012. 2013. (And a very real possibility in this current year of 2014).

What other Major League Baseball team can claim that amazing feat in the last 5-10 years?

And they should thank San Fran for taking apart Milwaukee. All of a sudden the Giants are hitting the ball like crazy. Very hard team to figure out. They can be horrible one day and look like the best team in baseball the next. I have a feeling Milwaukee has major trouble and the Pirates may actually be more competition down the stretch? There is no excuse for the way they lost at San Fran. They did not just lose, they got killed every night. Double digits. Speaking of which, have you seen any Baltimore scores lately? Probably not. well, they put up 12 yesterday. More HR's by FAR than any other team in the majors. 23 games over 500 and a 9 game lead over the 2nd place Yankees.

What team would not want to play Oakland right now in that one off Wild Card game? That is if they hold on to it? They now are only ahead of Detroit and Seattle is a half back of Detroit. The Mariners will be happy to see Washington leave town. I still like the Mariners better than any other team for that second wild card. But Cleveland is gaining and they could be the sleeper. If the Giants have to play a one off they may be tough to beat. I would love to see the Cardinals and Giants meet in that game. LOL. In the AL the Orioles and Angels are on fire.

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Off to today's game. Here's hoping for the same outcome in a tad shorter timeframe. It's supposed to be even hotter today...

Hope you bring them luck. They have their best pitcher going against our most questionable. And beating a team 3 st is tough enough let alone 4. I hope they break their habit and get to 5 wins in a row. Usually they win 4 in a row and then lose one and then get back on track. Only twice have they lost two in a row. And they went two months without that happening. Incredible. I sure hope Pearce is back soon. That trade with the White Sox worries me. The one with Boston bewilders me. I mean, they have Flaherty. And the kid from Norfolk. Buck must think we need him for experience or something in the playoffs? I would like to know if Seattle were to play Oakland and whoever wins is from the West. So do they play Anaheim if the Angels hold on to the best record? And the central winner goes to Baltimore? Not sure how it works

Bo Porter fired as manager of the Astros. Seems pretty odd to relieve someone of their job this late in the season--I don't think Houston is getting any better with a new skipper, but what do I know?

That's too bad. I thought the Astros were performing above anyone's expectations. Oh well...maybe he'll come back to the Nats

Bo Porter fired as manager of the Astros. Seems pretty odd to relieve someone of their job this late in the season--I don't think Houston is getting any better with a new skipper, but what do I know?

That is strange timing PC. Not sure what benefit Astros derive from sacking Porter now. Unless they know who they want as successor and want to break him in before next season starts.

Rick, I used to know all the playoff contingencies but after they added this new Wild Card wrinkle, I'm not so sure. I'll get back to you on that.

As for the other thing...I think most of us picked St. Louis to win the NL Central in the baseball contest, so I don't see anyone here counting the Cardinals out of anything.

That is strange timing PC. Not sure what benefit Astros derive from sacking Porter now. Unless they know who they want as successor and want to break him in before next season starts.

Rick, I used to know all the playoff contingencies but after they added this new Wild Card wrinkle, I'm not so sure. I'll get back to you on that.

As for the other thing...I think most of us picked St. Louis to win the NL Central in the baseball contest, so I don't see anyone here counting the Cardinals out of anything.

Except me. Cardinals not good enough to get there

Except me. Cardinals not good enough to get there

I realize that, even though you do not know me personally, you seem to despise Me when it comes to this topic (and I am cool with that. I also do not resort to ignorant and lowly name-calling as you and ebk have called me. I mean how stupid and childish is that? Two Baltimore Orioles fans over 60 years of age resorting to calling a fellow Baseball and Led Zeppelin fan ugly, inappropriate and uncalled names. I am 43 years old but obviously way more Mature then both of you, despite your total combined age of 120+years). I know why both of you resort to childish, ignorant, stupid and inappropriate replies is because both of you cannot stand the fact that the Saint Louis Cardinals were (past), are (recently) and will be (future) the Best Team in Baseball.

I know that both of you children are adamant and die-hard Orioles fan (anyone who follows this topic knows that), and yes the Orioles are a dominant team in the American League this year. I am not one to deny facts, whether past or current.

However, to already discount the Saint Louis Cardinals because of your personal animosity toward me is, in My opinion, just foolish and stupid. I will say this once more, if My current history (and absolute fact) of the Saint Louis Cardinals Baseball Organization has not been made aware to you (or you are just to misguided/stupid to realize the truth/fact), the StL. Cardinals have been to the NLCS for the last 3 years in a ROW. The Cardinals were good enough to make it to the World Series 4 times in the last 10 years, winning 2 and losing 2. Even if a team, any team, makes it to the World Series and loses, it is still a Prestigious and Pristine Honor to beat all the other teams in your League.

The last time the Baltimore Orioles were able and capable of that was way back in 1983. Do I actually have to do the math for you? If I do then I would calculate and state, for the Record, that that was 31 years ago. Just a reminder, the Cardinals have been in the World Series 4 times in the past 10 years. Winning 2, losing 2. 4 times in 10 years, in MY opinion that kicks the Fucking Shit out a team that last won the World Series way back in 1983 (when I was just 12 years old).

Even if the Saint Louis Cardinals do not make it to this years Big Show, I will still be an Honest and Loyal FAN because I know that the chances of seeing them win ANOTHER World Series will not take 31 years.

Post. Script: I guess I would be mad, bitter, and envious, etc... of a team that has the second Most World Championship wins and is the better team past and present. However, I would never lower and reduce Myself to being so mad, bitter and envious, etc... to call the other fan lowly names just to justify myself. Think about that.

Remember, a "No Comment is More Incriminating than a Comment".

Long Live the Saint Louis Cardinals.

Edited by kingzoso

I realize that, even though you do not know me personally, you seem to despise Me when it comes to this topic (and I am cool with that. I also do not resort to ignorant and lowly name-calling as you and ebk have called me. I mean how stupid and childish is that? Two Baltimore Orioles fans over 60 years of age resorting to calling a fellow Baseball and Led Zeppelin fan ugly, inappropriate and uncalled names. I am 43 years old but obviously way more Mature then both of you, despite your total combined age of 120+years). I know why both of you resort to childish, ignorant, stupid and inappropriate replies is because both of you cannot stand the fact that the Saint Louis Cardinals were (past), are (recently) and will be (future) the Best Team in Baseball.

I know that both of you children are adamant and die-hard Orioles fan (anyone who follows this topic knows that), and yes the Orioles are a dominant team in the American League this year. I am not one to deny facts, whether past or current.

However, to already discount the Saint Louis Cardinals because of your personal animosity toward me is, in My opinion, just foolish and stupid. I will say this once more, if My current history (and absolute fact) of the Saint Louis Cardinals Baseball Organization has not been made aware to you (or you are just to misguided/stupid to realize the truth/fact), the StL. Cardinals have been to the NLCS for the last 3 years in a ROW. The Cardinals were good enough to make it to the World Series 4 times in the last 10 years, winning 2 and losing 2. Even if a team, any team, makes it to the World Series and loses, it is still a Prestigious and Pristine Honor to beat all the other teams in your League.

The last time the Baltimore Orioles were able and capable of that was way back in 1983. Do I actually have to do the math for you? If I do then I would calculate and state, for the Record, that that was 31 years ago. Just a reminder, the Cardinals have been in the World Series 4 times in the past 10 years. Winning 2, losing 2. 4 times in 10 years, in MY opinion that kicks the Fucking Shit out a team that last won the World Series way back in 1983 (when I was just 12 years old).

Even if the Saint Louis Cardinals do not make it to this years Big Show, I will still be an Honest and Loyal FAN because I know that the chances of seeing them win ANOTHER World Series will not take 31 years.

Post. Script: I guess I would be mad, bitter, and envious, etc... of a team that has the second Most World Championship wins and is the better team past and present. However, I would never lower and reduce Myself to being so mad, bitter and envious, etc... to call the other fan lowly names just to justify myself. Think about that.

Remember, a "No Comment is More Incriminating than a Comment".

Long Live the Saint Louis Cardinals.

I do not see any personal attacks that you suggest at all. Saying that I do not think the Cardinals will win the NL pennant is calling you names is the real STUPIDITY here. If they prove me wrong good for them. I think the Dodgers or Nationals come out. That is just how I see it. I am not sure the Orioles can overcome not having Manny Machado? At least I know they have to have Pearce to have a shot. And I am not 60 pal. I am 57. So dont put me there yet. You take everything personally. I do not wake up thinking about the St Louis Cardinals. I see they play Milwaukee this week, a team that has pretty much fallen apart. Well here is there chance to make a run at the Cards. I believe the Nationals and Dodgers series is a preview of the NLCS.

OK, now that I have responded to King Cards rant above, there is a big series this week between SF and Detroit. That should be a real good series. Just like this Nats and Dodgers series and tonight Kershaw should give them a schooling. We get the Reds and I would have little worry if not for Hardy and Pearce being questionable. I just have the feeling Buck is going to play his AAA guy at 3rd and one of his new acquisition's from the White Sox and Red Sox in the outfield? Still have more than the Reds do even so, given Crua, Jones and Davis will all play. That alone should be enough to rock the Reds,. A rematch of the 1970 World Series that I remember like it was yesterday. Brooks Robinson made some plays that were just jaw dropping and one was on Johnny Bench. Dave McNally, one of our top pitchers hit a Grand Slam in that series. Unheard of for an AL pitcher to do. King Card was in diapers if he was indeed born?