2014 NFL Thread...

paul carruthers

Not to flog what already may be a dead horse--but I'm watching NFL Network right now & that certainly looks like a catch by Dez. The ball came out after he hit the ground. Oh well, nothing you can do about it now....

It was a catch, no question about it. He was being tripped as he came down and still reached towards the goal line, which is a "football move" and the only one he could make with his legs taken out from beneath him. It went from jubilation to depression in a matter of minutes. Bottom line is, Dallas should've put them away a number of times earlier in the game - that last call didn't decide it all, but took away an amazing play from Dez. Seattle will crush Green Bay. That's not about sour grapes, it's about an immobile quarterback. Cowboys need to sign their guys and use some draft picks on quality defensive players (namely in the secondary) and we'll be back! :yesnod:

I agree it was a catch. They are chirping up a storm in both directions over on ESPN forums. It was over analyzed. It was a catch. Dallas got screwed yesterday. Detroit got screwed last week. the refs stink. They can t get it right. They also need to bring back the kickoff return to the sport. It is part of the game.

Walter, what are Dez and DeMarco's contract situations--I was under the impression they were both free agents after this season...

They are both free agents. Dez will be re-signed either with a big contract or at least as the "franchise tag" player. DeMarco, not sure what will happen. They are looking at losing the D-coordinator to Tampa Bay and the OC also. They have a number of free agent players like T - Doug Free, LB - Rolando McClain, LB - Bruce Carter, among others. So it'll be interesting.

Buffalo looks like the D-coordinator will come from Rex's staff in NY. They are apparently gonna switch back to a 3-4 defense, according to the reports I am reading.

As a Raider fan, it is always a pleasure to watch Denver lose...the more embarrassing the better. As someone sick of the media love-fest and hype over Peyton Manning, it is always a pleasure to watch him lose.

So I was in double-clover watching Peyton Manning and Denver go down in flames yesterday. I wanted to pick Indianapolis in the pool but I just didn't think Andrew Luck had the stones yet to take down Denver...that I would have to wait for Tom Brady to eviscerate them.

Peyton Manning now has 9 one-and-dones in his playoff career...most of them as the #1 or #2 seed and playing at home. Manning now has 13 career playoff losses, extending his NFL record. Brady, meanwhile, extended his playoff record of 19 wins...and he has four fewer seasons than Manning. In 13 seasons Brady has taken his team to nine AFC Championship games, far more than Manning.

All of which should put the kibosh on this media-created notion of a rivalry between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. There is no rivalry...to even suggest one and mention Peyton as a rival is a disservice to Tom Brady.

Tom Brady OWNS Peyton Manning. In all the important numbers, Brady trumps Manning, as you can see in this article:http://thornography.weei.com/sports/boston/2015/01/12/peyton-manning-tom-brady-have-never-been-rivals/

post-1470-0-49259400-1421233406_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-85102100-1421233485_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-50024800-1421233515_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-92088700-1421233542.jpg

Larry Csonka...Mercury Morris...Jim Kiick...Jim Langer...Larry Little...Bob Kuechenberg...Wayne Morris...Norm Evans...Jim Mandich. These were the men who were the main cogs in one of the greatest and methodical destruction of another team I ever saw: Miami's massacre of the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl VIII 41 years ago on January 13, 1974 at rickety Rice Stadium in Houston, Texas.

Oh sure, Bob Griese, Paul Warfield, and Miami's fabulous No-Name defense (Manny Fernandez, Nick Buoniconti, Jake Scott, Vern Den Herder, Bob Matheson et al) all played their parts well. But it was the complete and utter ruthless efficiency of Miami's offensive line and running game over Minnesota that ended any suspense this Super Bowl had on their first two possessions. It was a thing of beauty...a force of nature that was unstoppable. Like a turquoise and orange tidal wave.

Don't let the score and game statistics fool you...it was a different game played back then. Miami thoroughly dominated the game. They scored on four of their first five posessions to go up 24-0...the last score coming with 9 minutes left in the third quarter. On that touchdown drive, Miami QB Bob Griese would throw his last pass of the game!

Think about that...more than a quarter-and-a-half left in the game and Miami would not throw another pass. For the game, Griese was 6 for 7 passing...that is mind-boggling. Miami took it easy on Minnesota the rest of the way and ran simple running plays. On Miami's last possession, they took over with over 6 minutes left in the game and ran Csonka and Kiick 12 straight plays to run out the clock.

Was it a great game, a classic back-and-forth battle of teams fighting to the end? No. But Super Bowl VIII remains one of the most memorable sports moments of my life, where for one of the first times in my life I witnessed a football team operating with such perfection, you saw the life being sucked out of the other team right from the beginning. It was the first time a 7-0 lead seemed insurmountable.

And Larry Csonka was brutally mythic. Poetry in granite. My god, he was fun to watch...Beast Mode decades before Marshawn Lynch was even born.

^^ Hey Sean, great memories there--even though it was a bit before my time, I know how great Csonka was; not quite a dynasty back during that time--if only we had beaten the Cowboys in SB VI--but there were a handful of great teams in the 70s, Pittsburgh being at the top of the list....

Rick seems pretty confident in Sexy Rexy and his ability--I have my questions about Ryan as far as the offensive side of the ball is concerned--but to be fair, it's not like the man had much to work with his last few years as Jets head coach....

I am very disappointed Swarz did not stay. That just sucks and someone is going to get a hell of a coach in him. Its all about the QB search for the Bills. Get a qB, and we can beat anyone

I am very disappointed Swarz did not stay. That just sucks and someone is going to get a hell of a coach in him. Its all about the QB search for the Bills. Get a qB, and we can beat anyone

Mark Sanchez will be available. I'm sure Sexy Rexy would love to be reunited with his old QB. Bwahahaha.

How many teams in the NFL could say "if only we had a quarterback." I think there are some people in Jacksonville wondering if Bortles was the right choice--although I think if Blake can cut down on the turnovers, he will be fine.

Still wondering what the hell the Dolphins are doing, sticking with Joe Shmow as head coach....

Archived