Newbie delight

Hi all.

I am a relative latecomer to the Led Zeppelin worshippers ;)

I just feel so lucky to have found their music after such a long time not being really that interested. You can imagine how excited I am listening to all the albums for the first time and hearing songs like Friends/In My Time Of Dying/That's The Way/The Rain Song/Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and many more for the first time in a lot of cases.

I have just started reading about the band as well in several books (Hammer Of The Gods and Trampled Underfoot) so any suggestions for better books are more than welcome.

Stupid now but I just thought they were just a heavy rock band in much the same way as Sabbath/Purple etc (not that I don't like those bands but Zeppelin SO much more)

Total convert here and looking forward to starting on the live recordings now :)

Best wishes

John

Hi all.

I am a relative latecomer to the Led Zeppelin worshippers ;)

I just feel so lucky to have found their music after such a long time not being really that interested. You can imagine how excited I am listening to all the albums for the first time and hearing songs like Friends/In My Time Of Dying/That's The Way/The Rain Song/Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and many more for the first time in a lot of cases.

I have just started reading about the band as well in several books (Hammer Of The Gods and Trampled Underfoot) so any suggestions for better books are more than welcome.

Stupid now but I just thought they were just a heavy rock band in much the same way as Sabbath/Purple etc (not that I don't like those bands but Zeppelin SO much more)

Total convert here and looking forward to starting on the live recordings now :)

Best wishes

John

An awful presentation of the band. Mostly lies and glamorization. Welcome to the board? If you need any help with live shows this is the place to come

Hi there

I sort of gathered that by the reaction here but as a read ( I sort of treat it as fiction) is was entertaining. :bubble:

Loving all the songs really and the joy of discovering this band has really cheered me up.

Currently cannot stop playing the third album special edition. Adore that album but my favouriote song still is ACS.

Loving this forum as well.

Best wishes

John

"When Giants Walked The Earth" is great, though I'd recommend skipping the painfully pretentious italicized bits. "Light and Shade" is also excellent. Personally I think "LZ-75" (by the author of "Hammer of The Gods") is undeservedly overlooked too.

Richard Cole's "Stairway to Heaven" is definitely one to miss.

Welcome to Led Zeppelin John...it's never too late to become a fan. "Hammer of the Gods" and other Stephen Davis books are bollocks, in my opinion. If you want a good introductory book to Led Zeppelin that focuses on the music and also has a wealth of detail and information about the live shows, I always recommend the excellent "LED ZEPPELIN: Heaven and Hell" by Charles Cross.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Heaven-And-Hell/dp/0517583089

Also get any Led Zeppelin book by Dave Lewis:

"A Celebration"

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Celebration-Dave-Lewis/dp/0711924163/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1403300107&sr=1-2

"The Concert Documentary"

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Documentary-Dave-Lewis/dp/0711953074/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403300054&sr=1-1&keywords=led+zeppelin+dave+lewis

Another of my favourites from the old days, Paul Kendall's "Led Zeppelin: A Visual Documentary":

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Documentary-Paul-Kendall/dp/0711900949/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403300206&sr=1-3&keywords=led+zeppelin+paul+kendall

A must-have for the photography...either edition of Neal Preston's Led Zeppelin photo books:

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Portraits-Neal-Preston/dp/0060960973/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MZ0B2CEZ63T35CA01JD

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Neal-Preston/dp/1847726496/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0117S320B02BM5Y1JJGK

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks so much Strider, I will look at the books you recommend. It appears I need to buy "DVD" first after reading some comments.
  • Last night was listening to LZ3 with wife and she agrees with me that they were superb. Odd as she doens't care my for my choice in music any other time ;)

Best wishes

John

• 2 weeks later...

Having grown up in the Los Angeles area during the 60's and seventies and having seen the band play live at the Forum and hanging around the clubs and the strip at that time, I can honestly say that Zeppelin raised holy hell and is guilty of many shenanigans. How do I know this is true? I saw it first hand. But there were worse bands. You have to remember these were essentially still kids, fresh out of the British sticks, who had never seen or experienced the freedom ( sexual or otherwise) of L.A. They went a bit crazy those first years, as with most young men with more money than brains. It was a very drug and sex oriented scene back then. Imagine being 20 years old, a millionaire, and having a thousand young girls (all with their pants down) lined up at your dressing room door. It would be irresistible. Add some drugs to the mix and then it becomes insanity.

• 3 weeks later...

John - I feel you, man! I just got into LZ myself about two or three months ago...after years of knowing who they were and knowing quite a few of their songs etc. I dunno what it was...but something just finally clicked and now I'm all excited about them like some kinda teenager. :D

:stereo:

John - I feel you, man! I just got into LZ myself about two or three months ago...after years of knowing who they were and knowing quite a few of their songs etc. I dunno what it was...but something just finally clicked and now I'm all excited about them like some kinda teenager. :D

:stereo:

Indeed...Same here.

I am excited about the new releases of IV and THOTH as well.

Best wishes

John