Thirty-Seven Years Gone: 1977.06.23 & Me

Melcórë

There's not much that I can say about the famous show on June 23rd 1977 that countless others haven't said better -- and I'm sick, so I'll try to keep it short. I just think it deserves an anniversary thread.

After all these years -- nearly four decades later -- it still holds up as one of the best performances ever, not to mention ranking ever so highly among the many concerts that Zeppelin performed. From beginning to end there's just an amazing atmosphere, with real appreciation and enjoyment coming from both the band and the audience.

Credit has to go to all the tapers whose work has preserved the concert for years to come -- Millard, Gabe, Goldberg...and the person who filmed from the front row. This was one of the first, if not the first, Led Zeppelin concerts that I listened to, and so it'll always have a special place in my heart.

Yeah, fantastic show! The best Ten years gone ever! Many would agree, on the show certainly and on the song too! Sadly we've got Bonzo, Millard and Moon missing now, but they are still here, obviously!!! Many thanks to them!

While listening to the show earlier as I was driving I wondered if Moon came out during "No Quarter" also and messed with JPJ? It just seemed strange that Plant started calling JPJ, John Paul "looney two shoes" Jones after that song and then again heading into "Ten Years Bonham".... Good show, just wish the first few songs sounded better on the copy I have. I need to find the Winston Remasters, I suppose.

While listening to the show earlier as I was driving I wondered if Moon came out during "No Quarter" also and messed with JPJ? It just seemed strange that Plant started calling JPJ, John Paul "looney two shoes" Jones after that song and then again heading into "Ten Years Bonham".... Good show, just wish the first few songs sounded better on the copy I have. I need to find the Winston Remasters, I suppose.

Well he did start the show by saying Welcome to four and half hours of Lunacy!

my speculation on his comments are JPJ's bass footpedals... JPJ is amazing!!!

I imagine Moon must have been partying all day with them at the Riot House before the show, so they were good and looney-loose by the time they hit the stage. All kinds of wild and crazy extraneous stuff was going on at this show...on stage and off, in the crowd and behind the scenes. Everywhere. To reference another show I was at: THE VIBES WERE REAL!

• 2 weeks later...

This show was my only time I got to see them live -> And what a show! > I remember going late from Costa Mesa and racing there in my first car a 65 Mustang that I was just starting to fix up> I was 17 It had the rims headers glass packs, sound system and was jacked up a bit in the back of course but the motor was stock. We did 100+ most the time to get there and made there just in time as we found the row that our seats where in the lights went down and the show started. Fun time! Then after the show on the way home I was cruising at about 80mph when we heard a loud bang then bang bang bang! The rod from disturber to the oil pump twisted and broke and threw a rod. Had a fun time trying to get home but it was worth it! Victor

This show was my only time I got to see them live -> And what a show! > I remember going late from Costa Mesa and racing there in my first car a 65 Mustang that I was just starting to fix up> I was 17 It had the rims headers glass packs, sound system and was jacked up a bit in the back of course but the motor was stock. We did 100+ most the time to get there and made there just in time as we found the row that our seats where in the lights went down and the show started. Fun time! Then after the show on the way home I was cruising at about 80mph when we heard a loud bang then bang bang bang! The rod from disturber to the oil pump twisted and broke and threw a rod. Had a fun time trying to get home but it was worth it! Victor

Welcome fellow Badgeholder! Hauling ass up the 405 to the Forum or Long Beach Arena is a trip I made many times with my dad or whomever was taking me to a concert back in the '70s.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/16032-for-badgeholders-only-la-forum-june-23-1977/?hl=%20june%20%2023,%20%201977%20%20la%20%20forum

• 5 months later...

Archived