Kate Bush to appear in concert for the first time since 1979

FireOpal

Ms. Bush will play a 22-night residence at the Hammersmith Apollo starting next week. I'm not a huge fan, but that's just amazing to me - I don't think I've heard of an artist coming back to live performance after such a long... sabbatical, let us say. Good for her.

The Daily Mail - which is not known for its factual accuracy - mentions that Kate Bush was the first woman to go to number one singing one of her own songs. In 1978, this would be. Isn't that quite late? Wasn't Carole King popular in the UK? Surely Carly Simon had a number of hit records in Britain. Maybe they didn't get to #1 though.

They chose the venue because it was the last place she had played, for sentimental reasons I guess. As for length of time, I don't know. She has a fear of air travel - or did at one time - so maybe that's why she chose to stay in one place and have people come to her rather than the other way around.

Apparently I'm the only one who was intrigued by the "first woman to go to #1 with a song she wrote" conjecture! But just in case anyone else has been puzzling over it: I think Grace Slick has that distinction in the U.S., unless I'm missing someone, and she nearly did it twice: "Somebody to Love" went to #1 in 1967 and "White Rabbit" reached #2.

Next I think would be Carole King "It's Too Late" 1971, then Carly Simon "You're So Vain" 1972. Feel free to chime in anyone! :) In the meantime, I'll commune with Casey Kasem in spirit.

I'd be interested to learn how they went about choosing a venue and determining how many nights she should perform. I realize she was once (and could still be) immensely popular in the UK, but that's a lot of shows to announce all at once for anyone.

It's London. Us in the "other" parts of this country are not deemed suitable. Always the same