Lighthearted Zeppelin II album cover question.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-2004-0430-501,_Jag

The album cover for Led Zeppelin II was from a poster by David Juniper, who was simply told by the band to come up with an idea that was interesting.

led_zeppelin_-_led_zeppelin_II-front.jpg

His design was based on this photograph of a Division of the German Air Force during World War I. Dubbed The Flying Circus and led by Manfred von Richthfen The Red Barron.

Led Zeppelin II Red Barron Manfred von Richthofen ALbum Cover

He airbrushed the photo adding the faces of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham taken from this 1969 Led Zeppelin publicity band photo.

Band Publicity Photo Used For Led Zeppelin II Album Cover

He also added the faces of manager Peter Grant and tour manager Richard Cole.

Peter Grant Richard Cole Led Zeppelin II Album Cover Photo The woman on the album cover is actress Glynis John (the monther of Mary Poppins). Her presence of photo was a play on the name of recording engineer Glyn Johns.

Glynis Johns Led Zeppelin II Photo When Juniper himself, was asked about the other people featured on the album cover he said,

All the faces were replaced or altered (sunglasses & beards on some of the pilots!). In amongst the four band members (airbrushed in from a publicity photograph) are Miles Davis (or was it Blind Willie Johnson?), a girlfriend/muse of Andy Warhol (perhaps Mary Woronov) and the astronaut Neil Armstrong.

Juniper thought he had put Neil Armstrong on the cover but actually put NASA Astronaut Frank Borman on the cover by mistake.

led-zeppelin-II-neil-armstrong-astronaut

Led Zeppelin II Album Cover Neil Armstrong Frank Borman Astronaut

Led Zeppelin Twice Attempted To Put Neil Armstong On Album Covers

http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/02/17/led-zeppelin-ii-album-cover-based-of-a-photo-of-german-pilot-the-red-barron/

*Note* I corrected the spelling of Borman.*

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-2004-0430-501,_JagThe album cover for Led Zeppelin II was from a poster by David Juniper, who was simply told by the band to come up with an idea that was interesting.led_zeppelin_-_led_zeppelin_II-front.jpgHis design was based on this photograph of a Division of the German Air Force during World War I. Dubbed The Flying Circus and led by Manfred von Richthfen The Red Barron.Led Zeppelin II Red Barron Manfred von Richthofen ALbum CoverHe airbrushed the photo adding the faces of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham taken from this 1969 Led Zeppelin publicity band photo.Band Publicity Photo Used For Led Zeppelin II Album CoverHe also added the faces of manager Peter Grant and tour manager Richard Cole.Peter Grant Richard Cole Led Zeppelin II Album Cover Photo The woman on the album cover is actress Glynis John (the monther of Mary Poppins). Her presence of photo was a play on the name of recording engineer Glyn Johns.Glynis Johns Led Zeppelin II Photo When Juniper himself, was asked about the other people featured on the album cover he said,All the faces were replaced or altered (sunglasses & beards on some of the pilots!). In amongst the four band members (airbrushed in from a publicity photograph) are Miles Davis (or was it Blind Willie Johnson?), a girlfriend/muse of Andy Warhol (perhaps Mary Woronov) and the astronaut Neil Armstrong.Juniper thought he had put Neil Armstrong on the cover but actually put NASA Astronaut Frank Borman on the cover by mistake.led-zeppelin-II-neil-armstrong-astronautLed Zeppelin II Album Cover Neil Armstrong Frank Borman AstronautLed Zeppelin Twice Attempted To Put Neil Armstong On Album Covershttp://www.feelnumb.com/2011/02/17/led-zeppelin-ii-album-cover-based-of-a-photo-of-german-pilot-the-red-barron/*Note* I corrected the spelling of Borman.*

Interesting post and information. I have always hated the LZ II cover, but knowing the inside story of its creation makes it a little more palatable. Thanks for sharing.

I always thought the person right above Jimmy looked like Lucille Ball!

I did too!

Thanks for all of the interesting information panther! :yourock:

I knew some of it already, but the rest answers a number of questions I had thought of, but never asked about. It certainly is a very cryptic album cover.

:peace:

Archived