How many records has Led Zeppelin sold?

BrxZEP

Recently, I've been searching about LZ's records worldwide. Some sources claim that the band has sold only up to 200M records, while some of them claim the number to be as high as 300M or even more. I want to know the official number...

Practically impossible to accurately determine. Only the U.S. and the U.K. kept clear verifiable records on sales. The rest of the world comes down to guesswork.

I believe the last time I checked the RIAA, Led Zeppelin was credited with somewhere between 120-130 million albums sold in the U.S. Only the Beatles and Garth Brooks had more U.S. sales. The Beatles were far ahead at over 200 million, but Garth and Zeppelin were neck-and-neck, so these recent reissues might have pushed Led Zeppelin back into second place.

What I wonder is how these remasters are being calculated. If one purchases the super deluxe box set including the album on vinyl, cd and digital download is that credited as 3 albums sold? That's 90,000 per album since they released 30,000 numbered prints. Do they keep track of digital albums sold on iTunes and elsewhere?

As far as records sold. I used to see 250 million sold, but since the remasters have been released I've seen it jump to 300 million. 6 of the 50 million more came from me, 9 of them July 31 morning :D I'm going by Wikipedia BTW, likely a fairly accurate estimate but as Strider said above most countries didn't keep verifiable records of sales. I would guess greater than 300 million.

^^ crazy that Garth Brooks is way up there with Led Zeppelin and The Beatles in the US. Though I have purchased about 20 Led Zeppelin albums, 2 Garth Brooks albums and a whopping 0 Beatles albums..

What I wonder is how these remasters are being calculated. If one purchases the super deluxe box set including the album on vinyl, cd and digital download is that credited as 3 albums sold? That's 90,000 per album since they released 30,000 numbered prints. Do they keep track of digital albums sold on iTunes and elsewhere?

As far as records sold. I used to see 250 million sold, but since the remasters have been released I've seen it jump to 300 million. 6 of the 50 million more came from me, 9 of them July 31 morning :D I'm going by Wikipedia BTW, likely a fairly accurate estimate but as Strider said above most countries didn't keep verifiable records of sales. I would guess greater than 300 million.

^^ crazy that Garth Brooks is way up there with Led Zeppelin and The Beatles in the US. Though I have purchased about 20 Led Zeppelin albums, 2 Garth Brooks albums and a whopping 0 Beatles albums..

It seems odd, but Country fans still buy their favorite artists records. As far as sales Country is still very strong.

As there are still numbered print box sets still available one wonders how many box sets numbered or non numbered have sold, seeing as those 30,000 numbered sets have not sold out. Ok you could say that is down to distribution but it still does not alter the fact there are limited numbered box sets are still available.

Are there really still some left from the first 3 albums?! That is surprising, but afterall they are quite expensive and only diehard fans who have money are purchasing them. They will definitely be sold eventually though, well likely I would guess. Box sets for each album numbered 00001 are probably still out there! lol

As there are still numbered print box sets still available one wonders how many box sets numbered or non numbered have sold, seeing as those 30,000 numbered sets have not sold out. Ok you could say that is down to distribution but it still does not alter the fact there are limited numbered box sets are still available.

Definitely, I think country may be the most popular music where I live the last few years.

It seems odd, but Country fans still buy their favorite artists records. As far as sales Country is still very strong.

Are there really still some left from the first 3 albums?! That is surprising, but afterall they are quite expensive and only diehard fans who have money are purchasing them. They will definitely be sold eventually though, well likely I would guess. Box sets for each album numbered 00001 are probably still out there! lol

Yes, there are still limited number editions for the first three albums..and beyond. I am kind of surprised...thought they'd all be snapped up.

Yes, there are still limited number editions for the first three albums..and beyond. I am kind of surprised...thought they'd all be snapped up.

The first three are still sitting in my local record shop since last June. Prices there haven't dropped at all, stuck at $125. Kinda surprises me, too. Wish I had the income to buy 'em, one at a time hopefully ;)

I gave in today and bought one of the still available numbered SDBS's. On the shelf was I, III, IV and two copies of HOTH a non numbered print II but no PG;

I opted for I mainly because of the iconic cover (I already have my 2nd pressing framed on the wall in my music room) and the included Press Kit.

It's not until you have one of these SDBS's in your hand that you can appreciate what quality products they are. I am going to resist buying any others as my turntable has been in need of a repair/upgrade for years so there is no point. Now, do I frame the companion vinyl and hang it next to the 'I' already hung or do I frame the numbered print '06263'.........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

150m-160m albums Worldwide. 

This is my worldwide take on their album sales. 

It is based on known certifications, trade publication (Billboard, Music Week etc) figures, (for uk) record company to retail shipment information, educated guess work levelled against other "known" album & artist, sales & chart performance

LZ --- 14,006,877
LZ II --- 19,892,739
LZ III --- 11,525,000
LZ IV --- 34,150,000
HOTH --- 15,680,000
PG --- 12,141,000
PR --- 5,229,500
TSRTS --- 7,172,000
ITTOD --- 9,046,400
CODA --- 2,741,000
BOX --- 3,391,500
REM --- 5,155,500
BOX II --- 398,950
TCSR --- 375,150
BBC --- 2,425,750
EARLY --- 1,495,500
LATTER --- 496,425
EAR/LAT --- 2,855,000
HTWWW --- 1,867,500
MOT --- 4,734,500
DEF --- 41,745
CELE --- 1,722,000
TOTAL --- 156,544,036

IMO you can't multiply album or sets that have more than one disc because not every country adheres to this practice. 

Archived