REO Speedwagon

Strider

Of all the corporate-snooze rock that started infesting radio from the mid-70s onwards (Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Boston, et al), I have to admit that REO Speedwagon was the one that surprised me the most in concert. I thought I would be bored beyond belief having to listen to their sappy ballads, but they were nowhere near as bad as I feared..and certainly more fun than Styx and Journey. I think it was mainly due to Gary Richrath and his lovely Les Paul tone of his guitar. It is a shame what happened to him with his alcohol addictions, etc. I prefer to remember him as I saw him on that Houston Astrodome stage in 1982...smiling and tearing it up on his Les Paul. R.I.P. Gary Richrath.

Kevin Cronin on the other hand...oy vey...once a ponce, always a ponce.

That solo in Keep on Lovin you is classic. Heard it every morningmorning ( and I mean every morning without fail) on the school bus back when it was in heavy rotation on the top 40 ...love the reverb and the guitar tone...a true classic. To this day it takes me back to that period of time in my youth whenever I hear it.

Yes, saw them live in the early 80's in Chicago, great live band. When they released the worst fucking ballad (song) of all time, I Can't Fight This Feeling, I almost shot myself in the dick. How in great Caesar's ghost can the band which produced Can't Tune a Piano... come up with such crap.

• 9 months later...

Thankfully this ballad driven shite never really caught on here. I did, ahem, listen and watch 2 songs of Journey when they toured years ago. Unfortunately for them, but fortunately for me, Pat Travers opened the show and of course he was tremendous. When Journey arrived we left, with most other people, for the boozer. I don't think Journey ever returned

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...