75 Tour started today in Mpls at the Met center 41 years ago

lynxwizard

I talked to someone who was at this show awhile back and they said Zep did Levee, (no suprise) but he does not recall them doing the Wanton song, but he said they did Boogie with Stu, he seemed to know their music well so I believed him, only a recording would prove that, he also saw the 2 shows here in 77, first at the Met center and the next night in St Paul (I was at that one, and a GREAT show I might add) they said the band started playing a hour late at the 77 met show, I told him I heard it was because of thunderstorms their plane came in late from Chicago, he said that is BullS***, they were late because they were at the Playboy club in Lake Geneva, he also said the show was only ok as he said the band looked out of it and played poorly, but the next night in St Paul was much better.

Sadly there is only one known recording of Zep in Mn (St Paul 73, the very first concet at the Civic Center)  and thats very poor quality, The Met Center (really in Bloomington) and the St Paul Civice Center were torn down long ago, the Mall of America stands now where the Met was and where the Civic Center was Excel Energy Center stands now.

Anyhow I hope some  recordings of these shows appear some day. 

40 minutes ago, lynxwizard said:

they said the band started playing a hour late at the 77 met show, I told him I heard it was because of thunderstorms their plane came in late from Chicago, he said that is BullS***, they were late because they were at the Playboy club in Lake Geneva

I thought we debunked this Lake Geneva canard already?  They had been staying at the Ambassador East Hotel in Chicago for several days prior to 4/12/77 Bloomington show. Moreover, St. Paul Dispatch review the following day reported show was delayed 71 minutes on account of lightning and torrential rain. The Minneapolis Tribune review also noted the show was delayed on account of rain.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-12-1977

18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I thought we debunked this Lake Geneva canard already?  They had been staying at the Ambassador East Hotel in Chicago for several days prior to 4/12/77 Bloomington show. Moreover, St. Paul Dispatch review the following day reported show was delayed 71 minutes on account of lightning and torrential rain. The Minneapolis Tribune review also noted the show was delayed on account of rain.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-12-1977

Canard ? well the storms could of been a excuse why they were late,  I never heard of the Lake Geneva thing before, the guy said he heard about that on radio or read in  local print at the time, I cannot remember which. but him saying that 77 show was not so great and the band seemed tired could very well be true, not ever show was great.  If the band had several days off I can see them going to the Playboy club, where did this story come from and does anyone know if there is a record of the band going there ?   

20 hours ago, lynxwizard said:

Canard ? well the storms could of been a excuse why they were late,  I never heard of the Lake Geneva thing before, the guy said he heard about that on radio or read in  local print at the time, I cannot remember which. but him saying that 77 show was not so great and the band seemed tired could very well be true, not ever show was great.  If the band had several days off I can see them going to the Playboy club, where did this story come from and does anyone know if there is a record of the band going there ?   

Sigh. Yawn. Sigh. 

They had ONE DAY off prior to this show, and that was the day after the infamous Storm Trooper show in Chicago on Sunday (note also the Saturday show was cut short on account of Jimmy being very ill). If you really want to believe they went to the Playboy Club in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin on Monday more power to you. However, I'm calling bs on it. Regardless, Bloomington show started late on account of torrential rain and lighting. They were flown to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport from the O'Hare International Airport in Chicago, nowhere else. 

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Sigh. Yawn. Sigh. 

They had ONE DAY off prior to this show, and that was the day after the infamous Storm Trooper show in Chicago on Sunday (note also the Saturday show was cut short on account of Jimmy being very ill). If you really want to believe they went to the Playboy Club in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin on Monday more power to you. However, I'm calling bs on it. Regardless, Bloomington show started late on account of torrential rain and lighting. They were flown to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport from the O'Hare International Airport in Chicago, nowhere else. 

Jeesh, where did I say I wanted to believe that ? I am so sorry  I never heard that story before, I just wanted to find out how it came about thats all. the one thing I do believe is that show was not so great because someone who WAS THERE said so and  I dont appreciate your snide comments.

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Sigh. Yawn. Sigh. 

Have to agree with this as I would assume, after Jimmy's "illness" on the 9th and then his amazing, blowout performance on the 10th, he probably spent most or all of the 11th in bed. 

Ok, back to original topic.  

I for one would love to hear the opening nite in Minneapolis, if for no other reason than to hear Plants voice pre Flu.

his voice sounded pretty good in the Brussels warm ups the week prior, but that flu just TRASHED his voice for the rest of the tour.  It didn't really start opening back up until the late March shows in Vancouver and Seattle.

I mean, he was coming off that vocal chord surgery, I'm sure he was wanting to impress, and he must've just been devastated to have to deal with that sickness.  He soldiered on, but he paid a price for it.

itd be a tantalizing glimpse of what coulda been

There is a photo of Plant and Page at the MSP airport, I think it says they were waiting for the starship, Plant is smiling and wearing a fur hat while Page has a robe on, there is no one else in this photo if I recall, one of the best photos of those 2 IMO, I think Neil Preston took it, it  would have been so cool to be walking in the airport and seen them sitting there waiting for the plane. there are some photos of the band at the Met center rehearsing, does anyone know if this was the day before the show on the 18th or ? and where did they stay ?

4 hours ago, lynxwizard said:

Jeesh, where did I say I wanted to believe that ? I am so sorry  I never heard that story before, I just wanted to find out how it came about thats all. the one thing I do believe is that show was not so great because someone who WAS THERE said so and  I dont appreciate your snide comments.

You are the only person I've encountered in my life who has floated this story, so for me the story comes from you. Whether they gave a so-so performance or not isn't really the point. 

40 minutes ago, lynxwizard said:

There is a photo of Plant and Page at the MSP airport, I think it says they were waiting for the starship, Plant is smiling and wearing a fur hat while Page has a robe on, there is no one else in this photo if I recall, one of the best photos of those 2 IMO, I think Neil Preston took it, it  would have been so cool to be walking in the airport and seen them sitting there waiting for the plane. there are some photos of the band at the Met center rehearsing, does anyone know if this was the day before the show on the 18th or ? and where did they stay ?

Almost certainly the day before, as there are several rehearsal shots too. All should note that was 1975, not 1977, to avoid confusion. 

The point I was making is that this person said they heard that back in 77, your first comment of  "I thought we debunked this Lake Geneva canard already? " says this has been discussed before, but then you say

"You are the only person I've encountered in my life who has floated this story, so for me the story comes from you".  So which is it ?

Back to 75, I already said these were photos of the band rehearsing, I found some more info that said they were rehearsing for Several days here so I am guessing they spent  a few nights here, it would not make sense to fly back and forth from Chicago. but what do I know it, but it  is a short flight.

43 minutes ago, lynxwizard said:

The point I was making is that this person said they heard that back in 77, your first comment of  "I thought we debunked this Lake Geneva canard already? " says this has been discussed before, but then you say

"You are the only person I've encountered in my life who has floated this story, so for me the story comes from you".  So which is it ?

Back to 75, I already said these were photos of the band rehearsing, I found some more info that said they were rehearsing for Several days here so I am guessing they spent  a few nights here, it would not make sense to fly back and forth from Chicago. but what do I know it, but it  is a short flight.

"I thought we debunked this already" is not to say "we have debunked this already". Forgive me if I momentarily confused a Lake Geneva Switzerland canard with a Lake Geneva Wisconsin canard.

1975...there was only one night of rehearsal in Minneapolis (1/17)...they were flown from London to New York on 1/15 and from New York to Chicago 1/16. When they disembarked from the plane in Chicago John Paul Jones was the only one wearing a coat. 

Archived