What would you label this type of music as?

Izzoso

St. Elmo's Fire reminds me of all the teen movies that were so popular back then but very few of them were all that good. Every once in a while we might get something like Heathers or Fast Times at Ridgemont High but those were the exceptions.

Forgettable 80's synth-rock.

Chicago's second go round was just as forgettable, you were left asking yourself "did that band actually write, and record Make Me Smile?"

Sorry, gotta throw Heart on that heap as well.

Okay, I was listening to John Parr's 'St. Elmos Fire' and was wondering what type of classic rock you could label that as? It sounds similar to Chicago's type of music.

What other bands play music of that type?

I'd label it, Comercial shite.

Never heard of it, but by the sounds of it, I'd label it bad 80s music. The 80s didn't produce much good music.

Naw, there wasn't much good music in the 80s, unless of course you count R.E.M., the Replacements, Bob Marley, the Cure, the Alarm, Echo and the Bunnymen, Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians, Los Lobos, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Peter Tosh, Guadalcanal Diary, Lone Justice, the Long Ryders, Let's Active, Culture, Rank n' File, the Beat Farmers, the db's, X, the Blasters, the Mighty Diamonds, Omar and the Howlers, Dream Academy, Del Fuegos, the Itals, the Del-Lords, the Church, the Cruzados, Dream Syndicate, Green on Red, and many, many more. There was far more to the 80s than hair metal and the skinny tie/synth pop New Wave bands on MTV.

Archived