57 minutes ago, Houses of the Holy said:

Does anybody else enjoy this fine wine of Irish chanteuse? 

I do, it's odd you mentioned them because I was listening to them in a hotel the night before last and was wondering how many rock music loving dudes besides myself was into Enya

I have been into Enya since being introduced to Watermark back when it was new and kept up through the 90's . Over time it kind of seems her releases are all kind of similar, a couple of moody instrumentals, an upbeat tune or two and some atmospheric celtic wanderings. Every now and then I do get a jones to hear me some I must say!

Enya is great, I too first got into her with the Watermark album in 88' I believe. Very talented woman and she also used to be with Clannad before she went solo...Clannad is for all intent and purpose her family band. If you thought Jimmy was big on overdubs and stacking of instrumentation, he has nothing on Enya. The vocal overdubs on a single track can add up to over 100, of just her singing the same measure in a slightly different pitch and phrasing to give her music that ethereal sound.

I like Clannad and some of Enya's solo stuff. But there are times she's a little too wispy for me...too "new agey". Whereas I can listen to Cocteau Twins or Loreena McKennitt or Lisa Gerrard & Dead Can Dance all day long, I find a little Enya goes a long way. 

Enya is one of the same Brennan family who founded Clannad. If you go to the family pub in Co. Donegal, you can see all the Clannad gold records and you will get a warm welcome. Enya, meanwhile, lives in Dublin in a rather nifty castle by the sea. Can't really comment on her music, I'm afraid.

Archived