Jimmy Page and John Mclaughlin

hecube

Any other fans here of Shakti with John McLaughlin? Highly recommend their album Natural Elements. Indian percussion, violin and JM playing acoustic guitar like he's posessed.

There's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h2uL8lk2lM, but it's a bit grainy. Sound's not bad though and gives some idea of what you get on the album.

Yes, I saw them live several years ago. Really amazing show.

Any other fans here of Shakti with John McLaughlin? Highly recommend their album Natural Elements. Indian percussion, violin and JM playing acoustic guitar like he's posessed.

There's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h2uL8lk2lM, but it's a bit grainy. Sound's not bad though and gives some idea of what you get on the album.

My husband, who has always been a fan of John McLaughlin, loves the collaboration between McLaughlin and Shakti!

I've been fortunate enough to see John McLaughlin 3 times ! During the Visions of the Emerald Beyond tour in '75 (Dallas), with Jeff Beck (they jammed too !), then in 1990 with his trio (Boston) including the incredible drummer Trilok Gurtu. He sat on the floor playing his drumset...it was so unusual !!

When he and Jeff Beck jammed ...it was like a shootout ! McLaughlin fired off such rapid licks and Jeff came back with his, not so fast, but very tasty rounds to complement John....he would lower his arms after each assault by McLaughlin in near relenting...but his return fire was just as good....

[...]

My husband saw Beck and McLaughlin play together and still raves about it - unfortunately, he can't remember the date but it must have been the tour you cite here. Two of his favorite musicians.

btw, How many of the same tours have we seen but in different cities/venues? Many, it seems.

^ Well MSG....we're from the same era....:D We are like minds in many senses...and those common attractions just fall in line with that.

It is a secure feeling though to share similar experiences isn't it ? Like HOME. That's what makes this community so special...not only to share unique lives...but the commonalities we can be apart of. Others may wonder why some are here...but just the simple sharing of things like this make it all worthwhile....besides the obvious love of the band...

Glad you're here to share your stories.....You come from a special place and that needs to be shared. Not only for us nostalgic readers..but for the young to see what it was like from those who were there.....:)

^ Well MSG....we're from the same era....:D We are like minds in many senses...and those common attractions just fall in line with that.

It is a secure feeling though to share similar experiences isn't it ? Like HOME. That's what makes this community so special...not only to share unique lives...but the commonalities we can be apart of. Others may wonder why some are here...but just the simple sharing of things like this make it all worthwhile....besides the obvious love of the band...

Glad you're here to share your stories.....You come from a special place and that needs to be shared. Not only for us nostalgic readers..but for the young to see what it was like from those who were there.....:)

Great post.

And, a fine era it is too! :D How much of our youthful selves did we devote and give to music (and musicians :whistling: ) Ermm... that's a rhetorical question :lol:

Yes, this a good place to share experiences from back in the day. We all have some interesting tales to tell and I love reading about what others were doing during those times. In addition to being a time during which great music was created, it was also an incredibly dynamic and turbulent era. For someone viewing those events through the lens of today, certain things may not sit well so they're best left to PM or email.

I don't worry about why others are here and I don't think they need to trouble themselves with why I'm here either. I've no agendas. I'm just rethinking many things that transpired during that unique time.

Thanks. :blush:

^ Nail on the head ! :)

There are book writers, the biographies etc...but to hear from those who were part of the experience in one way or the other...gives true creedence to the times....no agenda like someone seeking publishing...just sharing from the the minds of participaters, their take.

I do find it funny how some find shock or disbelief in some stuff they read....like their 'protected' vision is shattered. And then they want that exposure silenced.

Truth becomes taboo.....

* oh btw....I'm listening right now....Miles Davis...In memory of Jack Johnson....

featured guitarist...crankin' right NOW....John McLaughlin.....and the barista is the one who put it on !!!! Surprise !!! :D

No offence to page, love the guy and his work, but if he did ever get lessons from mclaughlin he certainly never used the knowledge in his own workings.

From what I remember reading several years ago, the lessons centered around chord chemistry, not technique per se.

Joelmon wrote:

I've been fortunate enough to see John McLaughlin 3 times ! During the Visions of the Emerald Beyond tour in '75 (Dallas), with Jeff Beck (they jammed too !), then in 1990 with his trio (Boston) including the incredible drummer Trilok Gurtu. He sat on the floor playing his drumset...it was so unusual !!

Then I saw his band in about '96-'97 in Salt Lake City....at the U of U campus...

When he and Jeff Beck jammed ...it was like a shootout ! McLaughlin fired off such rapid licks and Jeff came back with his, not so fast, but very tasty rounds to complement John....he would lower his arms after each assault by McLaughlin in near relenting...but his return fire was just as good....

That doubleneck McLaughlin used was by Rex Bogue....very exclusive....nice article about it...

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/mclaughlin/art/rainbow.html

I saw McLaughlin on the Visions of the Emerald Beyond tour, too. Very good show. I wasn't that impressed with Jeff Beck that night, but have seen him other times when he was great.

Thanks for the link on John M's doubleneck. I gotta say though, Jimmy Page just looks so much cooler playing one than anyone else on the planet.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dr Fusion has interesting recent blog

BAND : Le London All Star 1965

It’s always nice to find a rare record but it’s even better to find one that does not exist! For Mr.Page himself once stated, ”No such record was made”,numerous other collectors and “Pageologists” (Cool word that I think I’ll copywrite it) also declaired this record as “Myth”. Ah but dear reader,it DOES exist,not only is this the genuine article but it contains a Page solo so breathtaking and outstanding that this record contains one of his most important session appearences EVER!

Archived