Please Tell Me I'm Not The Only One Who Has Heard This...

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

He's performing to an audience, so no, you aren't the only one to have heard this. 

My bad. This is what I was going for...

Correction: Please tell me I'm not the only one (IN THIS FORUM) who has heard this. Lol

37 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Yeah, he was opening for King Crimson in 2001 and he played that song, it was great.

Yes, I was at that show in Phoenix. I believe they played at the Herberger if I am correct.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

No, the Web Theatre at 600 East Van Buren (11/16/01).

Yes, the Web Theatre. I remember Robert Fripp playing guitar seated the whole time during King Crimson's set, and looking none too happy either. JPJ and his band were great of course and you could tell they were having a great time but Fripp...I think a $2 Van Buren Ho must have given him the brush off because I have seen happier undertakers.

33 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Yes, the Web Theatre. I remember Robert Fripp playing guitar seated the whole time during King Crimson's set, and looking none too happy either. JPJ and his band were great of course and you could tell they were having a great time but Fripp...I think a $2 Van Buren Ho must have given him the brush off because I have seen happier undertakers.

April 26, 2001: Robert Fripp received a fax that Jeff Beck was opting out of a King Crimson / JPJ summer tour to start in 8 weeks. I don't think that tour or any of the dates had been publicized at that point as they were awaiting a confirmation from Jeff's manager. As I recall, it was Jeff himself who sent the fax but I could be mistaken. Consequently, the tour was rescheduled for Nov/Dec. 

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

April 26, 2001: Robert Fripp received a fax that Jeff Beck was opting out of a King Crimson / JPJ summer tour to start in 8 weeks. I don't think that tour or any of the dates had been publicized at that point as they were awaiting a confirmation from Jeff's manager. As I recall, it was Jeff himself who sent the fax but I could be mistaken. Consequently, the tour was rescheduled for Nov/Dec. 

I could see how that could ruffle Fripp's feather's a bit. Well, that's Beck for ya, not exactly the most reliable bloke is he. Probably the finest living guitarist IMO but unfortunately about as stable as a wind vane.

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

^^^

Do you the title and date of the original publication? I may be able to retrieve it from archives. Otherwise, I'm going to see what I can do with it (restoration) in photo shop.

Without digging it out I'm not sure in the slightest. I have more than one and a publication date may be attached to one of them, but I am doubtful. It probably won't be this evening but I will give a look tomorrow afternoon.

I never really doodled with photo shop, but have some concert ads that would benefit from it. If I could learn to use it with proficiency, I think it would be a worthwhile project. I'll have to look into it.

I was thoroughly impressed with JPJ's vocals. After hearing him on the Battle of Evermore in '77, I actually doubted his ability to sing. Even after listening to him rant on Angry Angry (which is hilarious), I still didn't hear the voice. But his rendition of That's The Way is amazing. Does anyone know if he has sang any other Zep songs like this? Maybe Going To California? 

2 hours ago, TheHermit228 said:

I was thoroughly impressed with JPJ's vocals. After hearing him on the Battle of Evermore in '77, I actually doubted his ability to sing. Even after listening to him rant on Angry Angry (which is hilarious), I still didn't hear the voice. But his rendition of That's The Way is amazing. Does anyone know if he has sang any other Zep songs like this? Maybe Going To California? 

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe he ever sang live in concert as a solo artist until he toured supporting The Thunderthief in 2001, singing "That's the Way" and "The Freedom Song".

9 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Without digging it out I'm not sure in the slightest. I have more than one and a publication date may be attached to one of them, but I am doubtful. It probably won't be this evening but I will give a look tomorrow afternoon.

I never really doodled with photo shop, but have some concert ads that would benefit from it. If I could learn to use it with proficiency, I think it would be a worthwhile project. I'll have to look into it.

Ok, thanks. It may have been The Arizona Republic, or a local paper. Anyway, if you send me scans of the ads I can work on them and send them back. I believe I have already done so with some of the Page/Plant ads you posted in the past.

9 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe he ever sang live in concert as a solo artist until he toured supporting The Thunderthief in 2001, singing "That's the Way" and "The Freedom Song".

That sounds right, but I'm not 100% sure if he did or not. This is the first time I have heard him actually sing. The Battle of Evermore vocal contribution always felt like he was a little uninspired. Honestly, I'm curious that if he had played Mandolin on the Battle of Evermore, would he have gotten more into the song. Granted, having seen him play the "Triple Neck Song", I know he can really get into the guitar, but the Battle of Evermore consists of pretty basic chords repeated (which is definitely NOT John Paul Jones' style). I feel that JPJ would not only have really taken that song to the next level mandolin-wise (not that I don't love Jimmy's contribution), but he would have been more into his singing part. This is all speculation, and I may be wrong. But this is my opinion.

14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Ok, thanks. It may have been The Arizona Republic, or a local paper. Anyway, if you send me scans of the ads I can work on them and send them back. I believe I have already done so with some of the Page/Plant ads you posted in the past.

Found one that is still in the full page (with other concert ads, and in better condition). It was the Phoenix New Times, October 18-24, 2001 edition. So the Phoenix concert date happened in less than a month after tickets originally went on sale to the general public.

As far as scans, I don't have a scanner anymore. I used to have one and scanned a bunch of concert ads, but it wasn't big enough to scan a full page. I still scanned them, and I am glad I did, as some have deteriorated more. The ad from the Web Theater that I posted was one that I scanned with my old scanner and still have on my hard drive. I have a lot of concert ads, and I guess I had a better one all along. I will have to look into getting a scanner that will fully scan a 10 by 13 inch page so I can re-scan them.

15 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Found one that is still in the full page (with other concert ads, and in better condition). It was the Phoenix New Times, October 18-24, 2001 edition. So the Phoenix concert date happened in less than a month after tickets originally went on sale to the general public.

As far as scans, I don't have a scanner anymore. I used to have one and scanned a bunch of concert ads, but it wasn't big enough to scan a full page. I still scanned them, and I am glad I did, as some have deteriorated more. The ad from the Web Theater that I posted was one that I scanned with my old scanner and still have on my hard drive. I have a lot of concert ads, and I guess I had a better one all along. I will have to look into getting a scanner that will fully scan a 10 by 13 inch page so I can re-scan them.

With regard to less than a month's notice for tickets to be sold, that makes sense given Jeff Beck had backed out of a proposed tour just eight weeks prior to the start. Phoenix was among the first dates played on the tour that was eventually put together.

One thing that I (or anyone) can do with 10 x 13 is use Paint to recombine the image. Basically, you scan one half of the image (top for example) and then the other (bottom for example) and rejoin them in Paint. It's really simple to do for anyone who knows how.

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:13 AM, IpMan said:

Robert Fripp is always like that.

Judging by the last time I saw King Crimson a couple of years back, he's also gone blind because not only did he look miserable but he was constantly screwing his eyes up trying to look at things.

He is a genius though so we can be thankful for that.

Just as an aside John Paul Jones appeared with The Dream Syndicate on Norway on 24th June to play their new single, How Did I Find Myself Here.

It's on Youtube if anyone fancies looking it up.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Robert Fripp is always like that.

Judging by the last time I saw King Crimson a couple of years back, he's also gone blind because not only did he look miserable but he was constantly screwing his eyes up trying to look at things.

He is a genius though so we can be thankful for that.

It was the first and last time I saw KC as I am not a huge fan...I went for JPJ so Tiny Tim could have been the headliner for all I cared. I do remember the songs they played were almost metal and they were very loud. After five songs people started to leave and we followed suit. I can dig some loud metal from time to time but the Theatre was just too small for the music to be so loud. Much louder than JPJ was.

On 8/28/2017 at 0:25 AM, TheHermit228 said:

Thanks for sharing; that was great! I also had only ever heard him sing Sandy Denny's part on Battle of Evermore, which I agree was pretty lackluster. The Thunderthief stuff seems kind of tongue in cheek and jokey and the two songs on the Scream for Help soundtrack that he sings on are more about the music than the singing. So I am impressed at his singing chops! 

I caught this double bill at The Orpheum Theater in Boston. Both acts were excellent.  JPJ, in case some here aren't aware released Zooma and The Thundertheif on Fripp's Discipline Global Mobile label (DGM).. Fripp guested on Leafy Meadows and Trey Gunn appeared on Zooma.  Fripp recommended Nick Beggs to Jones when Trey Gunn couldn't tour with him.  

Saw JPJ/Crimson in NYC, amazing. Lots of "Mach lll" Crimson starting around 95' or so could definetly be like metal,

but the band makes such unique metal that it can't be compared to anything else called metal. Anyway I saw JPJ 3

times live and I find it almost criminal that he can't/won't ? tour further because IMO his shows kept the Zep spirit of

intensity and creative brilliance burning far more brightly than Jimmy or Robert. Jones kept you guessing and still

he does projects that are usually edgy and unpredictable.

Archived