Southampton 73- Why it's the best bootleg

gibsonfan159

13 hours ago, bluecongo said:

As the years go by, Copenhagen 7.24 really is my favorite.  Magic nite for Jimmy, he never played that well ever again in his life.  Crazy right?

You'd be surprised how good he could be on the Firm tours...and on the 1998 P & P tour.

I think a lot of people have confused the case I made for "best" (as in the best live representation of the band including audio quality) with personal favorites. This is by no means one of my personal favorites. I'm merely noting the enjoyment of listening to the biggest band in the world playing in an intimate setting with unparralled sound quality. I think that alone puts this in the top five of their must listen boots. Yes, subjectively, I could sit back and rip this show to shreds. But I tried to make the case objectively.

23 hours ago, bluecongo said:

he never played that well ever again in his life.  Crazy right?

I could not agree with that statement less if I actively tried. As Strider pointed out he played very well, just as good in The Firm and from 96' - 2000'.

That being said the 24-7-79' gig is one of the best Zeppelin gig's hands down, everyone is smokin' on this night.

I saw Jimmy several times live, he's been fantastic.  88 & 98 especially. I understand your disagreements.  

Im a serious guitar player, I listen really closely, and have dissected Jimmys work.

but I don't know if he was ever as fluid like he was that night in Copenhagen.   

4 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I saw Jimmy several times live, he's been fantastic.  88 & 98 especially. I understand your disagreements.  

Im a serious guitar player, I listen really closely, and have dissected Jimmys work.

but I don't know if he was ever as fluid like he was that night in Copenhagen.   

When I saw Page with the Firm in Phoenix in 85' he was brilliant. When I saw him in 95' he was very good (not as good as 85' and not as good as Copenhagen but on par with 75'). Then, in 98' I would place his playing, IMO, on par with 73' easily. Of course he was not as fast but his playing was more creative, had much more depth, and was extremely fluid. In fact I consider his playing in 98' his best playing ever but I am a huge fan of both Gilmour & Beck so you know I don't really care about speed, my whole focus is emotion and imagination. 

• 5 months later...

I don’t think Southampton is their best, but it is one that I play quite often. And it’s not just because of the sound. Black dog is fantastic. Since I’ve been loving you is played emotionally. Dazed is not remarkable, but excellent during the listen. My personal favorite Than You. Hmmt/cb, of course. The intimate feeling. It just deserves a special place in my listening habits. 

On 9/7/2017 at 8:29 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Southampton 73- Why it's the best Zep bootleg

So many people criticize this show because; 1- Plant wasn't in top shape. 2. Neither Page or Bonham matched the intensity of the European dates of 73.

Plant was barely above medium shape, which I think added a sense of vulnerability to his vocals. He sang the songs differently, with almost a melancholy approach. He doesn't squeak and strain much (like in other shows) because he knows his limits. By the time he warms up around Dazed And Confused, he sounds pretty decent.

Bonham and Page not matching the showoff performance of Vienna or Hamburg isn't necessarily a negative. Those performances, although impressive, were a bit on the extreme side. Any musician can go all out during a live performance, but it's the professional who knows how to stay in the pocket and not stray. Bonham's playing on the Hamburg show is almost overkill. Adding a fill every measure turns a song into a circus act. With that said, this performance isn't far off from the European shows. Page doesn't nail every lead 100%, but that adds to the realism of a band simply playing a show without realizing they're being recorded. And when he plays good, he's as good as he's ever been.

Now, with those critiques aside, you have to give credit to one thing- sound quality. Holy shit does this recording sound good. Not good, simply amazing for a bootleg soundboard recording from 1973. No soundboard or audience recording from any other Zep show sounds this good, I don't care how many people tout Royal Albert Hall 1970 or Listen To This Eddie. This was a small venue and it really comes through that way. It's exactly like you're sitting in the fourth or fifth row, fifteen feet away from the band. No cheesy effects like the 77 shows, no lethargic playing like the 75 shows, no overprocessed EQ like the How The West Was Won album, no crap editing like the The Song Remains The Same album. This is up close and personal with a full setlist. How many people would say "How awesome it would be to see Zeppelin in their prime in a small club"? Well, this is it. How could you complain? I think people refuse to appreciate the candidness of this show. I like to imagine this show was professionally recorded like the Madison Square Garden shows, showing the opposite side of their live performance- the biggest band in the world playing a small stage, which is what the band always wanted to do anyway. It's the perfect "Moment in time" performance for this band. Performance vs setlist vs sound quality, this is bar none the best in my opinion.

What about all the defects during Wll and the theramin missing from the recording and the problems during Heartbreaker?

16 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

What about all the defects during Wll and the theramin missing from the recording and the problems during Heartbreaker?

You mean the guitar cutting out slightly? I don't think it hurts the show that much. The solos and medleys are all there. And I don't think anyone would miss a theremin solo lol. I don't mind those things half as much as Robert's voice being pretty rough.

Archived