Stephen Davis on the 3/12/75 show

Oh man. There's not one line in that book I would trust, unless it can be independently verified from a reputable source. You might like to inspect his review a few pages earlier of the 1975 Austin TX show too :)

Or his glowing description of the 30 minute Whole Lotta Love played in Fort Worth... etc etc...

I assume you mean his claim that Page wore the Earl's Court dragon suit at Long Beach?  He did wear the dragon pants at the LA show, no?  Maybe that's what Davis was referring to.  Plant's banter (vibes being better, broken string) is at least confirmed by the bootleg, not sure this description is glaringly inaccurate.  (I recall from Hammer of the Gods that Davis claimed in '75 that STH was preceded by a snippet of WLL, that would be a better example.)

3 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

First broken guitar string on stage in almost 7 years, huh? WOWZERS.

There are bootlegs that prove otherwise, it's just simple stuff to check, but presumably Davis can't be arsed. If the bloke said the sky was blue I'd go outside and check.

Plant himself says first broken string in "six and a half" years, so Davis is not off here ("almost seven years").  (You can check the bootleg.)  Apart from probably confusing Page's pants on the last LA show with this night, I'm still not seeing this as one of Davis' characteristic face-palm moments.  

And Plant indeed references Valhalla after the string break.  (Yeah, Davis does botch the Les Paul description.)  Interestingly, as the page ends, Davis seems to be more describing NQ from the previous night (the 11th) than the 12th.  

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

And Plant indeed references Valhalla after the string break.  (Yeah, Davis does botch the Les Paul description.)  Interestingly, as the page ends, Davis seems to be more describing NQ from the previous night (the 11th) than the 12th.  

He doesn't say "wait what the f***" though, at least not on my version, nor does he explicitly refer to a broken string. We don't actually know it was a broken string, doesn't quite sound it to my ear. Something goes wrong, Page briefly tries to play through it, then gives up. Not sure what that would be. I don't think there was time to properly replace a string anyway, listening to the tape, and Page didn't have a backup doubleneck.

EDIT: the other thing I see there is the 'vibes' comments. Davis has them in the wrong place, they are actually before Stairway, near the end of the show.

Page wore white pants and, I believe, the same black top with orchids at the shoulders he wore at the 2nd Oakland gig two years later (minus the black t shirt & jackboots).

Of course that is the least of my problems with Davis. As a writer you owe it to your audience to ensure your information is correct, especially in this particular format unless you with to publish as "my dope dream recollections of the 75' NA tour while endlessly pining over some silly bird."

Davis is a hack writer who makes up shit either because he does not remember, has missing notes, or because his version he believes is better than the reality. Talk about a prodigious use of creative license. All of his books should be listed as works of fiction.

EDIT: and what the hell is his problem with Jones? The man uses every opportunity to trash the man. I am starting to believe old Jonsey possibly banged that bird Davis kept rambling on about.

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Plant himself says first broken string in "six and a half" years, so Davis is not off here ("almost seven years").  (You can check the bootleg.)  Apart from probably confusing Page's pants on the last LA show with this night, I'm still not seeing this as one of Davis' characteristic face-palm moments.  

Just listened to it and heard it-didn't remember Plant saying that... but anyway... WOW. 

25 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Davis is a hack writer who makes up shit either because he does not remember, has missing notes, or because his version he believes is better than the reality

Yup... to that I'd add no clue as to what he's listening to. It's hard to square his negative review of 2.14 with what we can hear on tape, and his piece on the Philadelpia show is both factually slipshod and tendentious.

27 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I am starting to believe old Jonsey possibly banged that bird Davis kept rambling on about

On the lid of his grand piano perhaps... yeah, appropriate, lol

2 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

TSRTS being played on a Les Paul!

Glad you noticed. This makes me realize Davis wasn't any kind of fan of the band. He was just an opportunist who got lucky enough to tour with some rock groups and tried to make a dime using their name. I mean, Google existed when he wrote this. Why not at least try to fact check so you don't sound like an ass. He also seems desperate to try and convince his readers that he wasn't a massive turbo-nerd who couldn't get laid. "I saw some titties that night".

10 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Glad you noticed. This makes me realize Davis wasn't any kind of fan of the band. He was just an opportunist who got lucky enough to tour with some rock groups and tried to make a dime using their name. I mean, Google existed when he wrote this. Why not at least try to fact check so you don't sound like an ass. He also seems desperate to try and convince his readers that he wasn't a massive turbo-nerd who couldn't get laid. "I saw some titties that night".

100% right. Show me a zep-related page of that book and I'll show you the factual errors on it. We could have a whole subforum for that.

Archived