May 17, 1969 Remembered (When Led Zeppelin Opened for Jose Feliciano)

Here's an interesting article about the May 17, 1969 show in Athens, Ohio. Sounds like Zep crushed it when they opened for Jose Feliciano. It includes pictures from the show and backstage.

http://projects.thepostathens.com/SpecialProjects/basketball-edition-2019/the-song-remains-the-same-led-zeppelin-jose-feliciano.html?fbclid=IwAR3QPCcpM07G1gDhhaNeJyfuu7heU6vcI4O52eoLGBRB49CVzJYOR_5YPAE

10 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

Here's an interesting article about the May 17, 1969 show in Athens, Ohio. Sounds like Zep crushed it when they opened for Jose Feliciano. It includes pictures from the show and backstage.

http://projects.thepostathens.com/SpecialProjects/basketball-edition-2019/the-song-remains-the-same-led-zeppelin-jose-feliciano.html?fbclid=IwAR3QPCcpM07G1gDhhaNeJyfuu7heU6vcI4O52eoLGBRB49CVzJYOR_5YPAE

Very Nice  The pics are great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • sam_webmaster changed the title to May 17, 1969 Remembered (When Led Zeppelin Opened for Jose Feliciano)
  • 4 weeks later...

Great article, but it's a shame the billing wasn't reversed.  I bet Jimmy was quite aware of Jose's talents on acoustic guitar.  His cover of "Light My Fire" was a HUGE crossover hit.  Some good Beatles covers also. I was only 8 years old, but I remember the outrage over him playing the "Star Spangled Banner" in Detroit for the 1968 World Series.  It was the first time someone did their own version of the song, and people were pissed off.  It was Ernie Harwell's idea, and he was almost fired over the incident.  Really quite silly now, but it shows you where the mainstream was in those days.

• 2 weeks later...