Memories of 1977

SteveZ98

For those of you who weren't around at the time, here's a good video summary of what was happening in pop culture in the US during the year of Zep's last tour here. I was around back then and this brings back quite a few memories, although I wish one of them was having gotten to see Zep play. Sadly, I was a little too young at the time.

1977.  I graduated high school and started college.  I saw Zeppelin, and I did not have enough money to go see Floyd 3 weeks later.  I remember the new albums that came out in 1977 like Animals, Low, Going for the One, A Farewell to Kings, Aja, Songs from the Wood, Draw the Line, Even in the Quietest Moments, Little Queen, Terrapin Station, Street Survivors,  Spectres,  American Stars and Bars, etc.  I can still remember that A Farewell to Kings was released right around the time I started college and I bought a copy - the first album I bought at college.

I remember the 1976 albums we were still rocking to like Presence, TSRTS, Wired, Rocks, Leftoverture, Boston, Agents of Fortune, Fly Like an Eagle, 2112, Dreamboat Annie, Station to Station, Technical Ecstasy, Free for All, etc.

The summer of 77 saw a record heat wave, the blackout and looting in New York, the Son of Sam shootings, manhunt and his capture, and the death of Elvis. 

The one movie I remember was Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  I really was anticipating it because I read about it  in Circus Magazine months before it was released.  Of course we were still going to see TSRTS when it played the midnight movie once in a while.  One time it was a triple feature with The Kids are Alright, Pink Floyd at Pompeii, and TSRTS.  What  a show that was.

The only TV I watched that year was Monty Python reruns and Saturday Night Live.  

That was fun to watch!

I was 10-11 in 1977 and much too young for the coolest stuff on the planet: Star Wars and Saturday Night Fever

You light up my life is the most horrible song ever. Horrible, simply horrible.

My 11 year old me loved the Bay City Rollers, Abba, Harpo, Neil Diamond and Antonello Venditti.

In 1978 I became a Rolling Stones fan and my brother-in-law introduced me to all the great rock music B)

I was about to turn 20.  This was the year I would get to  see Led Zeppelin in Landover, MD outside of Washington DC.  Took a buss 13 hours from Rochester NY to see them. Getting the tickets, well my story is on the timeline. But it was like this to get the tickets.  A local radio station announced some guy would trade some Led Zeppelin tickets for "excellent Elvis Presley seats".  He was coming to Rochester not long after Zeppelin was to play the May 30th show in Landover which I knew nothing about.  I had planned to see them in Madison Square Garden in NY.  So I took my chances, knowing I had no Presley tickets, and would not walk across the street to see him for free.  I got the number from the late Uncle Rog, a DJ that was murdered for money on him, and its never been solved. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person at the studio, he was a black man though his voice would never give that away.  Great guy.  So I call the guy and basically said, I have no Elvis tickets but I will pay anything to see Led Zeppelin.  He had tickets for NY, so he said, I have a couple extra for Washington DC. I said Ill buy them. He meets me at the Blessed Sacrament parking lot, the elementary Catholic school I attended K-8.  He pulls in in a yellow Corvette.  I would make the fast exchange and never see him again.  Heaven sent he was.  I paid the scalp price of $35 each, and that was not cheap for 1977 though it sounds like it. What would you pay now to see them 25 feet in front of you?  Add two zeros.  The rest was history.  I knew in my heart I would never see them again. I had tickets two months later to see them in Buffalo.  It  never happened.  The week of the show, with 80, 000 seats sold out at the old Rich Stadium, where the Bills still play, Robert Plant's son dies tragically as you know.   They played when the Levee Breaks right after the announcement.  I cried myself to sleep.  So many here had tickets for the show that never happened.  Someone said to me, gee, you spent all that money and traveled all that way to see them and now they are coming here.  Oh yeah?  Bullshit. I did the right thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived