Peculiar Request at 9-4-70 Show

William Austin

This may have been discussed before, because surely I can't be the only person that has noticed this...

During this famous Forum show, taking place just over a month before LZ III was released, there is an audience member that numerously shouts a request for a song that he shouldn't have even known existed yet... Gallows Pole.

This can best be heard on the TMOQ recording. It happened after Bring It On Home (a moment which didn't make it onto the original LP) and immediately before What Is And What Should Never Be. Maybe other times too, but I don't know offhand. Plant may have even heard this request after BIOH because he addressed the people "shouting obscenities" right after that.

How the heck did this person know about Gallows Pole? Both possibilities I can think of don't sound very plausible, but who knows...

The most unlikely of the two is that the person somehow got his hands on a promo copy of the third album. But I don't believe these would have been sent out yet since the mixing had been done just days prior.

The other is that this person also attended the San Diego show the day before and they played the song as the second encore, after the recording ended. This also seems unlikely given the unruly crowd which forced them to drop Bron-Yr-Aur from the set that night. I don't believe the lads would have rewarded them with a second encore after that. But imagine if a recording of that surfaced one day!

What do you guys think?

Edited by William Austin

Atlantic sent out advance promotional copies of a 7” inch Advanced EP of Gallows Pole to radio stations and such prior to the release of the full album.  

A neat oddity is that a really cool guy who use to hang out at RO.com discovered long ago that an entirely different version of the song was on the EP.   It had a longer version that was on the album and wasn’t known about until he discovered it.

On the album version during the last couple minutes they chopped out about a 15 second portion which you can hear on the Advance Promo 33 & 1/3” EP.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

6 hours ago, William Austin said:

Well I’ll be darned...

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Gallows-Pole/master/892282

Thanks for the info! I wonder how many of those exist. 

I have this single booked marked as a wanted item in my Discogs account. $218 USD is a bit of a stretch IMO. As a record collected I've paid more for rare LP's/singles in my current collection. Just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it. 

Anyone have this/Listen to it? I should just buy and put it up on youtube so ya'all can hear it. Unless that's already been done? 

R-5622199-1398232710-3303.jpeg.jpg

Edited by The Only Way To Fly
Add photo

On 9/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

Atlantic sent out advance promotional copies of a 7” inch Advanced EP of Gallows Pole to radio stations and such prior to the release of the full album.  

A neat oddity is that a really cool guy who use to hang out at RO.com discovered long ago that an entirely different version of the song was on the EP.   It had a longer version that was on the album and wasn’t known about until he discovered it.

On the album version during the last couple minutes they chopped out about a 15 second portion which you can hear on the Advance Promo 33 & 1/3” EP.

Can you say if the additional 15 seconds makes any difference? Is that the only difference between that and the album version?

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Can you say if the additional 15 seconds makes any difference? Is that the only difference between that and the album version?

That’s is the only difference.   It’s not a huge deal with today being full of official companion discs and tons of bootleg out takes but 25 years ago to find an anomaly on ANY Zep record it was a thrill to hear it 

The only difference is the extra 15 seconds (although for some reason I thought it was 11 seconds - but I could be misremembering). 

Unfortunately the mastering of that particular version is rather bad - I guess maybe it was compressed and EQ'd for AM radio play? It's also possible that the stereo image of the promo is narrowed compared to the normal album version. Some folks have tried to EQ/tweak the extra bit from a digital rip of that promo 7" and digitally splice it into the regular version with the aim of creating a better-sounding version with the extra stuff in it. But the promo 7" sounds so different than all the well-mastered pressings of the album version that no one has yet succeeded in making a sonically smooth result.

14 hours ago, tmtomh said:

The only difference is the extra 15 seconds (although for some reason I thought it was 11 seconds - but I could be misremembering). 

Unfortunately the mastering of that particular version is rather bad - I guess maybe it was compressed and EQ'd for AM radio play? It's also possible that the stereo image of the promo is narrowed compared to the normal album version. Some folks have tried to EQ/tweak the extra bit from a digital rip of that promo 7" and digitally splice it into the regular version with the aim of creating a better-sounding version with the extra stuff in it. But the promo 7" sounds so different than all the well-mastered pressings of the album version that no one has yet succeeded in making a sonically smooth result.

Maybe a new version could be purchased   by “The Only Way To Fly” in this thread a new transfer could be made?