Zep Stage Lighting during the early Seventies

duckman

For those of us lucky enough to have experienced the Mighty Zep live on stage during the early days, I have a question regarding light shows (and the absence of ...).

On several photo's of (mainly) 1970 North American shows, you see the venue and stage evenly lit. Punters from the audience can be clearly identified AND the band is bathing in light as well. Did they play with house lights on ? or were these pics taken during encore time?  The famous September  Forum and MSG evening shows on the other hand feature a more intimate stage lights setting , but the Carl Dunn photos from August (Oklahoma) for instance,  or the  Chuck Boyd March L.A Forum gig photo's show a clearly lit arena. Same era, completely different atmosphere...

Edited by duckman

It's almost entirely the US shows from 1970 which have those photos with the venue lights on. This was due to the security having trouble with crowds, so the venue would turn the lights on.

You can hear this on the recordings of the March LA Forum show (which is where that photo above is from), the April show in Memphis, the August show in Tulsa.

On 3/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, pluribus said:

It's almost entirely the US shows from 1970 which have those photos with the venue lights on. This was due to the security having trouble with crowds, so the venue would turn the lights on.

You can hear this on the recordings of the March LA Forum show (which is where that photo above is from), the April show in Memphis, the August show in Tulsa.

Yes and during many recordings I’ve heard from The Doors you can hear Morrison wanting the lights to be turned down.  Security was definitely the reason then too. 

19 hours ago, Walter said:

Yes and during many recordings I’ve heard from The Doors you can hear Morrison wanting the lights to be turned down.  Security was definitely the reason then too. 

"Hey, c'mon light-man, turn down the lights. Now I mean it, turn down the lights. Aww, who cares anyway." Jim Morrison.

I could have added the "you're all a bunch of fucking slaves" part but, everyone heard that.

4 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

"Hey, c'mon light-man, turn down the lights. Now I mean it, turn down the lights. Aww, who cares anyway." Jim Morrison.

I could have added the "you're all a bunch of fucking slaves" part but, everyone heard that.

True true. Crazy how they would line up the sheriffs around the perimeter of the stage. Strange days...