How does fan remastering of bootlegs work?

Guest WD52

On 2/28/2022 at 6:22 AM, slp9b said:

I know this is a really old quote, but I’d like to encourage you to finish the Page/Plant Japanese show sometime, especially if it is the 02-15 Osaka show.  I did a matrix of the soundboard and audience sources for that show using my own limited skill and resources for myself, and it sounded OK, but there is a potential for an amazing sounding matrix out of those sources, particularly with your skill since you do such phenomenal work.  Everything you have touched has been magical.  

P.S.  Anyone who has never heard “Ten Years Gone” with the orchestra from the Osaka show needs to hear it - it is mind blowing.  It’s the only time P/P ever did it, and it’s something else.

Hi mate. I’ve only got the SBD version of this show. Very dry. But if you have a matrix, I’d love to hear it. Even if you only gave me TYG (my favourite Zep song). 

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Hi mate. I’ve only got the SBD version of this show. Very dry. But if you have a matrix, I’d love to hear it. Even if you only gave me TYG (my favourite Zep song). 

I didn't do a matrix, just remastered the soundboard. I'm finishing up a stereo remix and remaster of the 3/21/75 Zep show. After I post that, I'll post the 2/15/96 P/P show.

12 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I didn't do a matrix, just remastered the soundboard. I'm finishing up a stereo remix and remaster of the 3/21/75 Zep show. After I post that, I'll post the 2/15/96 P/P show.

Thanks buddy 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:32 PM, SteveZ98 said:

Hey Steve, Were you able to resurrect the guitar in Kashmir at all? That sumbich is BURIED under the keys even in the Cuztard Pi matrix.

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Hey Steve, Were you able to resurrect the guitar in Kashmir at all? That sumbich is BURIED under the keys even in the Cuztard Pi matrix.

It's more prominent than it was, but the software I use puts the drums, vocals, and bass in three separate tracks and puts everything else in a single track. That's not an issue for songs like Sick Again where the guitar is the only other instrument and I can modify its level separately from the rest of the instruments. However, in the case of Kashmir that means the keyboards and guitar are in the same track, which makes it hard to make one louder without amplifying the other at the same time.

Also, I haven't heard the Cuztard Pi matrix, but if the guitar is buried in it, it's possible the guitar was low in the mix during the concert. If that's the case, it will be hard to hear in the soundboard and audience recordings, so the only way to really fix it would be with the multi-tracks. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we're going to get to hear them, if they even exist, so we're stuck for now. However, the technology to split songs into individual instruments continues to improve, so maybe in the future it will be smart enough to separate the keyboards and guitar, which would make it possible to bring up the level of the guitar on its own.

Edited by SteveZ98

2 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

It's more prominent than it was, but the software I use puts the drums, vocals, and bass in three separate tracks and puts everything else in a single track. That's not an issue for songs like Sick Again where the guitar is the only other instrument and I can modify its level separately from the rest of the instruments. However, in the case of Kashmir that means the keyboards and guitar are in the same track, which makes it hard to make one louder without amplifying the other at the same time.

Also, I haven't heard the Cuztard Pi matrix, but if the guitar is buried in it, it's possible the guitar was low in the mix during the concert. If that's the case, it will be hard to hear in the soundboard and audience recordings, so the only way to really fix it would be with the multi-tracks. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we're going to get to hear them, if they even exist, so we're stuck for now. However, the technology to split songs into individual instruments continues to improve, so maybe in the future it will be smart enough to separate the keyboards and guitar, which would make it possible to bring up the level of the guitar on its own.

I appreciate that response Steve, much thanks champ...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, john morrison said:

steve as discussed my pal downloaded all your work and delivered the pile of cds to me . first disc stockholm '69 . magnificent . I am going to have so much fun playing my way through your work . cant thank you enough . a very happy man . 

Cool. I'm glad you were able to get them burned to cds.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, john morrison said:

steve my pal jules mctrainspotter reported that he has the link for 24/5 . my copy will arrive shortly . cant wait . thank you 

I still have some work to do on that show, so the version Jules has may be updated at some point.