Which vinyl? — recreating my collection

scdfndr

i purchased a basic linn sondek lp 12 in 1982 basically starved myself slept on floors of friends flats thereby saved university grant money . I still have it and over the years  invested in various of the upgrades . turntable is very important . rest of my hifi is pretty good kit . led zep 11 / rl is best sounding bar none . I have the classic records set . physical is unplayable . it is boomy . just terrible . page's latest reissue is better sounding  . in fact i prefer to play page's latest reissues over the classic versions . obviously just my opinion . interestingly I still have my original copies of zep releases ( zep 1 bought 1971 ) and they all sound pretty good . 

On 11/10/2020 at 5:07 PM, Strider said:

DO NOT PLAY YOUR GOOD VINYL ON CROSLEY TURNTABLES! I cannot stress this enough. If you want to play your old beat up vinyl, fine. But don't go to the expense of buying new Zeppelin vinyl if all you have is a Crosley to play them on.

Since you are talking about these issues I'd like to have some peace of mind with the most precious thing I have (materially), which are my twelve super deluxe boxes.

I'm really a newbie in everything that has to do with vinyl, I don't currently have any turntable. So in 2019 to check that all the vinyl in the twelve boxes were okay I went to a friend's recording studio and tested them all on a "Pioneer Plx-500 Dj" turntable but the pick was "Ortofon 2m Red".

All the vinyls were perfect, except for a few songs where apparently some dust was gathered and it "skidded", but then we passed a brush to the vinyl and it worked perfectly.

I only have three doubts regarding the state of my vinyl:

1) The first vinyl of 'Led Zeppelin II', I forgot to put it on 33 and I put it on 45, I immediately changed it to the right speed and there was no problem. Did that affect or will affect the vinyl?

2) The first vinyl of 'Houses Of The Holy', was not attached properly to the turntable, so it was "floating" for a few seconds, but immediately we put it back correctly and it worked perfectly. Same question: Did or will it affect the vinyl?

3) Was the turntable "Pioner Plx-500 Dj" with the "Ortofon 2m Red" pick correct for testing the vinyl? I mean, it doesn't damage the vinyl like those Crosleys, right?

Thanks!

spacer.png

spacer.png

coleccioncompletalz2.jpg

13 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

Since you are talking about these issues I'd like to have some peace of mind with the most precious thing I have (materially), which are my twelve super deluxe boxes.

I'm really a newbie in everything that has to do with vinyl, I don't currently have any turntable. So in 2019 to check that all the vinyl in the twelve boxes were okay I went to a friend's recording studio and tested them all on a "Pioneer Plx-500 Dj" turntable but the pick was "Ortofon 2m Red".

All the vinyls were perfect, except for a few songs where apparently some dust was gathered and it "skidded", but then we passed a brush to the vinyl and it worked perfectly.

1) The first vinyl of 'Led Zeppelin II', I forgot to put it on 33 and I put it on 45, I immediately changed it to the right speed and there was no problem. Did that affect or will affect the vinyl?

2) The first vinyl of 'Houses Of The Holy', was not attached properly to the turntable, so it was "floating" for a few seconds, but immediately we put it back correctly and it worked perfectly. Same question: Did or will it affect the vinyl?

3) Was the turntable "Pioner Plx-500 Dj" with the "Ortofon 2m Red" pick correct for testing the vinyl? I mean, it doesn't damage the vinyl like those Crosleys, right?

Thanks!

spacer.png

spacer.png

coleccioncompletalz2.jpg

1. No problem. 2. No problem. 3 it’s fine

19 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

Thanks!

spacer.png

spacer.png

coleccioncompletalz2.jpg

Naw...you're all good. No worries for your vinyl with that gear.

10 hours ago, Strider said:

However, I would not make it a habit of changing the turntable speed while the record is playing and always make sure the disc is firmly on the turntable platter.

That's for sure, it was a couple of beginner's mistakes. It was my first time dealing with a turntable. That's why I wanted to know if those mistakes were big enough to ruin the vinyl a little bit (although later I tested them again and there was no problem... but who knows... MOST OF YOU). :lol:

Edited by Rodrigo

On 12/31/2020 at 10:18 AM, zoso_jobes said:

You made a fantastic decision. The Project turntables are quite nice. Use the red cartridge for now and upgrade to the blue after. Let us know if you find the Classic Records reissues. It seems like eBay is usually your best bet but they are getting expensive. Check Discogs daily as well. I will also keep an eye out and reach out to you if I find any.

Thanks for checking in. Yes, I’ve managed to track down all CR reissues except I and ITTOD. (Presence is on its way.) The prices have been steep, but nowhere near as high as some I’ve seen. I swear, I see some CRs for over $500 and at least one copy of I for, I kid you not, $1.4k Because I know some are interested, at risk of being gauche, I got all for between $100-175, mostly on EBay, looking daily and snatching up “buy nows” instead of waiting for auctions. All in M or NM. I did spend $240 on PG, but it’s my favorite and obviously a double LP. I’m very happy with the sound quality of all so far. 

I took the opportunity to listen also to the later remasters but only streaming. I must admit, especially on III and IV, I hear things I’ve never heard before. BUT, the vibrancy and punch is just not there, compared to all my vinyl copies, even my beat up old ones.  Speaking of punch, I couldn’t resist a $40 double RL II. Yes, you get what you pay for. It’s pretty beat up. No skips or jumps, but a lot of surface noise. That said, if you tune out the fuzz and pops you really notice the difference. It beats the CR IMO. 

Thats the update. Thanks for the post. And yes, if anyone sees a good deal on I or ITTOD by CR, feel free to pass that on. 

Great forum!

• 2 weeks later...