The Friendships of Led Zeppelin

McSeven

A while back in my LZ facebook group.  Someone was saying that Zep was more of a project and that they were not really friends as much.  With the exception of Bonzo and Robert.  Whats your take.  Did they all really have to be friends.  What does friendship in a band mean and does it matter?

9 hours ago, McSeven said:

A while back in my LZ facebook group.  Someone was saying that Zep was more of a project and that they were not really friends as much.  With the exception of Bonzo and Robert.  Whats your take.  Did they all really have to be friends.  What does friendship in a band mean and does it matter?

Bonzo and Page were close afaik. I'd say the same went for Jonesy and Bonzo since they were so in-sync with their music. I don't imagine there was any real issues until the later years which would test the best of mates.

If someone could point me to a live concert picture of Page smiling at or even looking at JPJ I would love to see it. I have watched the O2 performance 100 times and I could not see even one glance. 

Doesn't take away from their chemistry or the power of the music they created but I always found that kinda f'ed up. 

Anyone proving me wrong would make me a happy man. 

The MSG Stairway has a moment after 'then the piper will lead us to reason" where page glances at JPJ and to me it looks to be a very appreciative nod. just a fleeting moment, but that's always conveyed to me the feeling that Page has a deep appreciation for what John Paul brings. Maybe not an expression of friendship, but I can't imagine there was only mutual respect.

Edited by rm2551

On 4/14/2021 at 9:09 AM, pageluvva said:

If someone could point me to a live concert picture of Page smiling at or even looking at JPJ I would love to see it. I have watched the O2 performance 100 times and I could not see even one glance. 

Doesn't take away from their chemistry or the power of the music they created but I always found that kinda f'ed up. 

Anyone proving me wrong would make me a happy man. 

There are quite a few moments in the 1970 Royal Albert Hall show and one or two in the Danmarks Radio performance. I’m sure there are more and many that didn’t get filmed. And even then, not smiling at each other during shows isn’t indicative of them not being buddies. There are also quite a few pics n stories of Jimmy and Jonesy being friendly with each other  :)

Personally I get the impression they were all friends with certain dynamics being closer than others (robert and Bonzo, robert and jimmy, bonzo and jonesy)

edit: also jimmy has spoken fondly of jonesy on multiple occasions :D 

Edited by admiralhalseys

Jimmy and Jonesy were mates going back to the session days as they frequently played together. It was Jimmy who wanted Jones for LZ due to their relationship and mutual respect. From all indications they all got along quite well until the end of the American tour in 77'.

Though I can somewhat see Jimmy as feeling a bit inferior to Jones as Jones was a classically trained musician and multi-instrumentalist. If you have had the pleasure of seeing JPJ live from 94'-2001' you would see a player more than capable of holding his own with a guitar and as good as Jimmy or Beck or a number of others insofar as guitar skill is concerned. Jones was like Prince regarding his talent, just less demanding. It was also Jones who did a good chunk of the arranging and coming up with all those brilliant time and key changes within the songs.

I think just about any professional musician is in awe of Jones and somewhat intimidated.

Hi! I remember hearing Carl Palmer say something along the lines of 'since  elp was meant to be the best players together we weren't friends and in fact only by the end of the 70s did we become friends' Since LZ was ind of the same project (getting the best players) they didn't care about being the best of friends as opposed to the Beatles for instance