Starting giving guitar lessons

redeyedrichard

Hi all,

I am starting GIVING guitar lessons and I need to come up with some kind of lesson plan or scheme of work to keep the lessons progressive and interesting.

Does anyone (who is either giving or recieving lessons) have any advice from where to start and what to teach to begin with?

I have taught myself to play the guitar to a high standard and I have therefore never had a single lesson so I don't know the best course to follow with teaching. I figured I would start out with some basic triad chords as well as finger exercises and stuff.

Any ideas? A long term lesson course plan would be useful if anyone has one. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading.

Hi all,

I am starting GIVING guitar lessons and I need to come up with some kind of lesson plan or scheme of work to keep the lessons progressive and interesting.

Does anyone (who is either giving or recieving lessons) have any advice from where to start and what to teach to begin with?

I have taught myself to play the guitar to a high standard and I have therefore never had a single lesson so I don't know the best course to follow with teaching. I figured I would start out with some basic triad chords as well as finger exercises and stuff.

Any ideas? A long term lesson course plan would be useful if anyone has one. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading.

How much are you willing to pay ?? <_<:rolleyes:

Can you read music?

How long have you been playing?

What styles/techniques do you specialize in?

I taught full time for 7 years, loved it and hated it at the same time. You have to love working with people to develop their goals. Need more info about you.

How much are you willing to pay ?? <_<:rolleyes:

:lol:

Can you read music?

How long have you been playing?

What styles/techniques do you specialize in?

I taught full time for 7 years, loved it and hated it at the same time. You have to love working with people to develop their goals. Need more info about you.

I can read music...but not sight read a new piece. I have been playing for about four years approx, give or take a year. I specialize in rock music as well as folk. There are a lot of other styles in there but I haven't developed them to the same standard. My idea was basically to teach beginner to intermediate rock guitar. I begin on Thursday with a friend of mine.

My advice would be to start with the conventional open chords. Start simple like D, A and G and E conventiional. Once they get those down then go to the bar chords. Teach them how to pick single notes and give them music on sheets, chords and scales such as pentatonic. Have them get used to playing the scales and once they develope dexterity they can learn to improvise using their ear. Of course it helps to make it fun and not all work. One easy song to play using just conventional chords to start with is "Take it Easy" by the Eagles for instance. G_D_C_G. Of course there is a small variation on the G in opening. If you have somone that knows anything about theory and especially piano, it will make your job that much easier.

Yeah this was where I was thinking of beginning...and the idea of using "Take it Easy" is a good one. Thanks for some great ideas. :thumbsup:

:lol:

I can read music...but not sight read a new piece. I have been playing for about four years approx, give or take a year. I specialize in rock music as well as folk. There are a lot of other styles in there but I haven't developed them to the same standard. My idea was basically to teach beginner to intermediate rock guitar. I begin on Thursday with a friend of mine.

Yeah this was where I was thinking of beginning...and the idea of using "Take it Easy" is a good one. Thanks for some great ideas. :thumbsup:

Any chance of a lesson then :D

I've been teaching guitar for years and with beginner students I always start with simple excercises(1 finger per fret ascending on 1 string, then 2, etc)and a few easy variations just to get their fingers to work(lol and get over the tender phase). Another thing I do is have them say the notes they are playing(I still do alot of this myself..it works wonders).Then it's open chords, major barres, minor barres, 7ths etc, by the time they get this far they have usually added 2+2 and figured out some easy songs on their own.I hate just showing people licks but prefer to teach them why they are playing what they are playing. The more advanced players I teach are looking for theory so that's what they get...

I send the kids who want to play metallica(or whatever) songs right away to someone else

Haha! Great advice mate. I have had that. Someone has asked me how to play a certain song and I just ignore them. Anyone can learn how to play a song or a solo, but knowing why those notes etc are being used is very important. Great advice there my friend. Thank you very much.

I had a lesson booked with my first pupil on Thursday...he didn't show. He says he's still gunna pay me though. I hope so. He was working away the night before, he was up on time but accidentally fell asleep on the sofa. He was really annoyed that he missed it....my phone call woke him up. haha!

Patience is a major factor isn't it. :lol:

Maybe you need to advertize better. sounds like this pupil isnt too motivated. Tough way to make a fucking living isnt it? Id make them pay in advance with a no return policy. Weed out the serious from the pretenders and the ones where mommy is making them take lessons. Good luck dude.

Great suggestion. Thank you very much. He is a friend of mine so I am being pretty lenient with him...but for strangers in the future I might apply what you said. Thanks.

RIK.

Hey thanks GG, some good stuff there.

I am going to cover the terminology of the guitar as well as fundamentals i.e. pick holding, hand positions etc...but I am a firm believer in getting someone doing something rather than immediately drowning the in theory. So I will cover those fundamentals while the student is holding the guitar and getting a feel for it. I will mix the theory in with the practical. But some good advice there. Thank you very much.

:thumbsup:

Oh, I fully agree that you need to have the guitar in your hands while your learning this stuff! Otherwise it's as boring as hell. My teacher tried to make it fun by asking me to guess the names of things, I don't thing he expected me to already know :lol: . It's good to ask what music they're into. My teacher is always like "Brian May does this and Steve Vai does that", because he knows it will make me listen and try.

I'm glad my advice was kind of useful. I'll bet you'll be a really cool guitar teacher :D

Yeah thanks for that GG. I will be always referring to famous guitar players. Although the guy I'm teaching first is into My Chemical Romance and other crap like that....someone help him. :lol:

Thanks for the pointers.

• 2 weeks later...

OK,first off,how long are your sessions?I had the greatest teacher of all time,Scott McCarthy,he was Irish,but he moved to Canada :( Teach them the string names,starting at E-1 (The high one to them) here's how to remember:Easter Bunny Get's Drunk At Easter=

E-1

B-2

G-3

D-4

A-5

E-6

After this,explain the note names,the non-existence of B sharp/C flat and E sharp/F flat,then you're gonna want to show them power chords and explain that these are the basics,then show them a few major and minor chords,give them a loan of a CD so they can hear any given song they're learning,by the time they know this,teach them 12-bar blues progressions,scales,and power chord songs,Scott would do all this with me in 30 minutes and covered each aspect exceptionally well,show them fingering and make sure they hit notes with their finger-tips.Show them Smoke On The Water,the riff is easy,just identify the serious ones from the jackasses,i originally was terrified that i'd be the latter,i have been playing for 2 and a half years since,tell them to tell you their influences,these are just a few suggestions.

Whats up richard, i saw this post the other day, and like you, iwas self taught thru books and friends and the what not. Anyway i remember doing this chord thing from Amin,E G and D. It was what i used in the beginning to work on cord changes. It kinda feels like a circle when you play it, at least in my head it did, hope this helps, best of luck to you in your teachings!

Archived