New Complete Japan '71 live album (Tarantura)

lololabrute

To go through the effort of releasing 1971 Japan in its entirity and then NOT include any of the soundboard recordings for 9/28 and 9/29 is a huge mistake. 

Those soundboard recordings had been on many folks "holy grail" lists for decades.

I don't think the intention was to use any of the soundboard recordings. The original news item at the start of this thread says "This new set consists of all known audience recordings available for each of five nights."

I did find some images of the sleeve notes for 929 and it lists the sources as:

Live In The Fairy Tale 1st gen.

Lighthouse Master 2021.

Nine Two Nine longer source 2nd gen.

Nine Two Nine shorter source master transfer.

For some reason I cannot link to the pictures or twitter post but you can find it here. You might need to cut and paste the link text in to your browser.

https://twitter.com/yuminori0616/status/1575091405961064448

The above is based on finding a list of the titles used in the box set with 929 given as "The Barbarians And The Geisha". The shorter source master transfer is listed on the japanese notes but not on the english notes. It could well be that I am talking absolute rubbish here in which case please put me right and if possible let us know what it sounds like.

Edited by nigelss
Trying unsuccessfully to get link to work

No where in the original release does is say it will ONLY be audience sources. In fact it starts off with:

Assembled from the best sounding and most complete sources from each of five nights, including never before circulating material and upgraded versions known from previous releases, this new collection representing the ultimate perspective for this memorable part in rock music history.”

And then goes on to mention this:

Both Tokyo and Osaka shows were professionally recorded by the local division of Warner Bros. company for potential live release. Rumoured to be destroyed by Page himself due to rather poor quality, it was confirmed by him in person during preparation of "How The West Was Won" and "DVD" in 2003 that these tapes were in potential use as a candidate for a standalone release.

It is ridiculous to claim to be the “ultimate perspective” and omit all of the soundboard material which is absolutely fantastic.  

Edited by cvb

3 hours ago, cvb said:

No where in the original release does is say it will ONLY be audience sources. In fact it starts off with:

Assembled from the best sounding and most complete sources from each of five nights, including never before circulating material and upgraded versions known from previous releases, this new collection representing the ultimate perspective for this memorable part in rock music history.”

And then goes on to mention this:

Both Tokyo and Osaka shows were professionally recorded by the local division of Warner Bros. company for potential live release. Rumoured to be destroyed by Page himself due to rather poor quality, it was confirmed by him in person during preparation of "How The West Was Won" and "DVD" in 2003 that these tapes were in potential use as a candidate for a standalone release.

It is ridiculous to claim to be the “ultimate perspective” and omit all of the soundboard material which is absolutely fantastic.  

.....and in the next sentence of the very first announcement this:

"This new set consists of all known audience recordings available for each of five nights."

No ridiculous claims at all, everybody and their brother knew that this is for fans of the audience sources.

• 2 months later...

^
Yeah. And after that the download links appear

edit: would be interesting to hear how good they have made the 23rd show that is already mainly awesome in quality and what about WLL medley from 29th.

Edited by JMH

On 1/4/2023 at 3:01 PM, lololabrute said:

at a 100 pieces released, at that price, hard to fathom that these recordings are meant to be shared with the fans... well, hopefully someone will spend time ripping them for the rest of us! :)

Actually, it is 200 boxes, 2 artwork-options, each 100 pieces.

14 hours ago, JMH said:

would be interesting to hear how good they have made the 23rd show that is already mainly awesome in quality and what about WLL medley from 29th.

I think you are talking about the 7th source (aka Flying Rock Carnival) of 923, right? It is part of the box, released as a bonus 2CD set. Like the guy of the Collectors Music Review I don´t like it at all. According to Tarantura they used a master transfer and left it raw and unprocessed. It still has the well known sound problems like older releases, e.g. from WIAWSNB the sound gets shitty. Furthermore, the overall sound is very muddy, washy and fluctuating all the time. I prefer the processed version from EV which is (way better to my ears) more detailed and clearer up to WIAWSNB. But I was told that for some fans Tarantura´s raw version is kinda holy grail. Not my cup of tea, each to their own. Anyway, it is just the bonus CD.

About the 5x 3 CD sets: For what I have heard already (923, 924 & 927) I can tell that these Tarantura versions have great sound quality. I fell for these Japan 71 concerts about 30 years ago, and I have collected quite a few over the years for comparison-  the new T.-versions beat them all. Especially 924 is remarkable: I am gladly surprised that T. was able to minimize the bass/tom-tom distortion to an satisfying degree. On older versions the distortion also affected the other instruments/frequencies whereas here everything stays clear and detailed and the bass distortion is kinda defused.

That show has so many sources that I am not on the map. Is it 5 with some fills the best or something. Anyway, my pondering was if they were able to enhance the quality and make the best possible source mix.

11 hours ago, JMH said:

That show has so many sources that I am not on the map. Is it 5 with some fills the best or something. Anyway, my pondering was if they were able to enhance the quality and make the best possible source mix.

To my ears, compared to my older boots, they managed to achieve the best sounding source mix on their 3 CD main set of 923, based on the 5th source.

• 2 weeks later...