LED ZEPPELIN VS. METALLICA: KLOS MARCH BANDNESS

Strider

I don't listen to radio often, especially so-called "classic rock" radio. But I was with a friend and he had his car radio turned to KLOS 95.5 FM and they are in the midst of some contest called 'March Bandness'. Obviously a take-off of the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament. According to what I found online, Led Zeppelin won last year.

They started with 16 bands and the final four were Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Metallica, and Aerosmith. Here is the bracket as it stands...Led Zeppelin vs. Metallica for the championship. You can vote online.

https://955klos.listenernetwork.com/Contest/CFAQOA#/bracket

March Bandness Matches – April 1, 2022

9:30am: The Beatles (27%) vs. Led Zeppelin (73%)

12:30pm: AC/DC (48%) vs. Rush (52%)

2:30pm: Metallica (59%) vs. Ozzy Osbourne (41%)

4:30pm: Nirvana (37%) vs. Foo Fighters (63%)

The Foo Fighters? 

On 4/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, Strider said:

Hmmmm....apparently other radio stations do this, too. I just found a March Bandness bracket for K-SHE radio in St. Louis. Their bracket is slightly different.

https://www.kshe95.com/march-bandness-results/

2022-bracket_0401-m4-1.jpg.0ad48fce0e16e67b1f0e2b974ae4ef8a.jpg

How could they have The Beatles, Stones, Who and Zep in the same bracket?? :blink: 

Ahhhh, I see it looks like 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's brackets. Whoa...How in thee Hell did Sammy Hagar beat Van Halen in the first round?? That's nuts! :wacko: 

On 4/2/2022 at 3:31 AM, redrum said:

The Foo Fighters? 

Absolutely, I would choose Foo Fighters over Nirvana. 

On 4/2/2022 at 12:31 AM, redrum said:

The Foo Fighters? 

I know, right? All respect to Taylor Hawkins and the band in general as the sum of their parts is greater than the whole IMO. Foo Fighters music is just really boring IMO.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Looks like Rush beat Led Zeppelin in the KSHE semifinal, making it Rush vs. Metallica in the final. The voting in the KLOS bracket ends today, I think.

Rolling Stone is fudging the numbers. 

Soooo...Led Zeppelin wins again. They beat Metallica 64% to 36% in the Final Round in the Los Angeles KLOS March Bandness contest. From results I found on google, it seems Led Zeppelin also won in 2021 and 2019 and 2017.

Meanwhile, in the St. Louis KSHE version of March Bandness, Rush defeated Metallica 65% to 35% in the Final Round.

19 hours ago, Strider said:

Soooo...Led Zeppelin wins again. They beat Metallica 64% to 36% in the Final Round in the Los Angeles KLOS March Bandness contest. From results I found on google, it seems Led Zeppelin also won in 2021 and 2019 and 2017.

Meanwhile, in the St. Louis KSHE version of March Bandness, Rush defeated Metallica 65% to 35% in the Final Round.

👍

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2022 at 5:57 PM, Strider said:

I don't listen to radio often, especially so-called "classic rock" radio. But I was with a friend and he had his car radio turned to KLOS 95.5 FM and they are in the midst of some contest called 'March Bandness'. Obviously a take-off of the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament. According to what I found online, Led Zeppelin won last year.

They started with 16 bands and the final four were Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Metallica, and Aerosmith. Here is the bracket as it stands...Led Zeppelin vs. Metallica for the championship. You can vote online.

https://955klos.listenernetwork.com/Contest/CFAQOA#/bracket

Does "K- LOSS"--- as Jim Ladd used to call it when he was at the Mighty Met, do they still have DJs?  I thought that KLOS had switched to some lame pre programmed automated format without live DJs?

13 hours ago, kipper said:

Does "K- LOSS"--- as Jim Ladd used to call it when he was at the Mighty Met, do they still have DJs?  I thought that KLOS had switched to some lame pre programmed automated format without live DJs?

From the brief time I listened, it appears they still have some DJs...Marci Wiser, even that Matt Pinfield dude from MTV back in the day...but I bet they are on a short leash.

5 minutes ago, Strider said:

From the brief time I listened, it appears they still have some DJs...Marci Wiser, even that Matt Pinfield dude from MTV back in the day...but I bet they are on a short leash.

Yeah, a really short leash.... too short to even still call the station KLOS.  And waaaaaay more commercials than are bearable.

I remember always tuning in to Jim Ladd on KMET at night in the early '80s (10pm-2am) right after 'the Burner Mary Turner'.  Sometimes Ladd would go 25-30 minutes without breaking for a commercial when he was on a roll....or even a rant.  One night he tells the audience that he just got a call from program manager who happened to be tuning in at midnight on a weeknight, which was out of the ordinary, and Ladd said "oops, I'm busted for not breaking for any commercials for too long".  So, Ladd tells us he has to get back on schedule, and to bear with him and stay tuned and NOT switch over to "the other guy" (meaning KLOS), and to listen to the commercials he will be playing to catch up for the next 5 minutes or so. And so he starts playing the commercial spots from all the 'carts', but he breaks in for a few seconds between each spot to I.D. the station and insert a classic Ladd type remark, and then got caught up.

That was true free form FM at it's best, and Ladd was king.  One reason he used crap on KLOS at that time was they didn't give DJs the same freedom as KMET.

I really miss those days.

2 minutes ago, kipper said:

Yeah, a really short leash.... too short to even still call the station KLOS.  And waaaaaay more commercials than are bearable.

I remember always tuning in to Jim Ladd on KMET at night in the early '80s (10pm-2am) right after 'the Burner Mary Turner'.  Sometimes Ladd would go 25-30 minutes without breaking for a commercial when he was on a roll....or even a rant.  One night he tells the audience that he just got a call from program manager who happened to be tuning in at midnight on a weeknight, which was out of the ordinary, and Ladd said "oops, I'm busted for not breaking for any commercials for too long".  So, Ladd tells us he has to get back on schedule, and to bear with him and stay tuned and NOT switch over to "the other guy" (meaning KLOS), and to listen to the commercials he will be playing to catch up for the next 5 minutes or so. And so he starts playing the commercial spots from all the 'carts', but he breaks in for a few seconds between each spot to I.D. the station and insert a classic Ladd type remark, and then got caught up.

That was true free form FM at it's best, and Ladd was king.  One reason he used crap on KLOS at that time was they didn't give DJs the same freedom as KMET.

IH8RADIO

11 minutes ago, redrum said:

IH8RADIO

I do too now. And here in SoCal most of the dial has been taken over by Spanish / Mexican radio stations.

But there was a time here in SoCal when we were all tuned into one or two stations. First was on AM with stations like KHJ "Boss Radio"--- which BTW was so well demonstrated in Tarrantino's last film "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood".  But then when FM became the thing, and free form radio with more album oriented playlists... well, it was a great time.  Jim Ladd used to talk about the "electronic campfire", it was the one place we all were really connected too before we all became so fragmented by Facebook, Twitter, MP3 players, and subscription whatever services.  I remember the night John Lennon was murdered, and it was out FM stations where we all tuned to share the loss, and it was DJs like Ladd and others who spoke for us.

Yep, everything now is fragmented. Twitter and Facebook is nowhere near the unifying thing for our culture that our free form FM radio used to be.

3 hours ago, kipper said:

Here is all you need to know about Jim Ladd and KMET back in the day: They played the live version of "Dazed and Confused" from "The Song Remains the Same"...all 27 minutes of it uncut.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Here is all you need to know about Jim Ladd and KMET back in the day: They played the live version of "Dazed and Confused" from "The Song Remains the Same"...all 27 minutes of it uncut.

I'll bet that Jim made "good use" of that 27 minute break if you know what I mean?"

Edited by kipper