2022-23 NBA thread...

paul carruthers

11 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, I'm not sure if "hype" is the word I'm feeling, but the regular season is finally done & the much anticipated "play-in" tournament is upon NBA fans... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, even though the NBA has become absolutely dreadful to watch, I suppose I may tune in when the real 1st round of the playoffs actually starts. I guess I'll still ride with my earlier prediction of a Bucks/Nuggets Finals & the Bucks winning in five...  

Do you really think Denver can beat Golden State?  No way.  And in fact, Denver can lose to several others.  If Zion comes back, the Pelicans could suddenly be a dangerous team in the West. Im cheering for the Hawks or Knicks in the East but I think Boston and Milwaukee and Philly will slug it out.  Dont sell Philly short.  

Do you understand this play in?  So tomorrow Atlanta is at Miami.  Its not elimination is it?  So if the Hawks lose they are still playing a series right?  I think the lower seeds might be an elimination?  If it is though, I hope Atlanta wins.  

Ill take Golden State to represent the West still.  I wonder if the T Wolves can give the Lakers a fight?  They are getting 7.  The East is interesting in one regard.  Cleveland and the Knicks.  I hope the Knicks win because I want to see what they can do vs the top 3.  The Knicks when healthy have shown to be tough.  If they land Doncic, look out for them soon

^^ To answer your question, no, I don't understand the play-in, or how it works, but I have to assume that the lowest seeds--number 9 or 10, in each conference--will play the #1 seed, whoever advances. 

As for your other question about Denver--do I believe--yes. Would I wager on it, no. The West is so wide open this year, I wouldn't blink if the Lakers--of all teams--suddenly stormed out of the "play in" and won the whole conference. I think this year, more than any, the word "crapshoot" may apply to the NBA playoffs. Which is rare, because of all the sports, you could always count on the top seeds in basketball. Don't know if that same theory applies this year--outside of Boston & Milwaukee...

Edited by paul carruthers

On 4/10/2023 at 6:33 AM, paul carruthers said:

^^ To answer your question, no, I don't understand the play-in, or how it works, but I have to assume that the lowest seeds--number 9 or 10, in each conference--will play the #1 seed, whoever advances. 

As for your other question about Denver--do I believe--yes. Would I wager on it, no. The West is so wide open this year, I wouldn't blink if the Lakers--of all teams--suddenly stormed out of the "play in" and won the whole conference. I think this year, more than any, the word "crapshoot" may apply to the NBA playoffs. Which is rare, because of all the sports, you could always count on the top seeds in basketball. Don't know if that same theory applies this year--outside of Boston & Milwaukee...

I agree the West is a crap shoot but I still take Steph Curry and Thompson over anyone. The East is likely a 3 team race, Milwaukee, Boston and 76ers.  To me the Knicks are the  real sleeper. I am hoping Atlanta wins tonight.  But if they do not, I find it hard to see them being out because they are the 8 seed?

That fucking Leonard!!!!!  The prick.  Is he going to cost the Clippers again?  He is always  hurt.  His knee injury was announced late.  Too late for me to refund my fucking bets no the bastards.  The line skyrocketed and I knew immediately the prick was out.   He best be ready for game 4 or its lights out. They are not winning without him and George both.  Lets see how the Knicks do at home. I think they have a big shot.  Add one more star to that roster and the sky is the limit.  Milwaukee is in the same situation as the Clippers.  No Greek Freak, no win.  I called Golden st to rally in this series two days ago.  But winning it will be tough.  Does anyone here realize the Sacramento Kings were once the Rochester Royals who have an NBA title?  Its shocking I know

Golden State gets smoked at home in game 6.  I did not see that coming.  Can they rebound and win game 7?  Boston is favored by 9.5 over Philly in game 1!!! ?  WTF?  I am assuming that line reflects Embid not playing?  The Knicks are favored by 4.5 in game 1.  They are playing lights out. Miami won no doubt because the Greek Freak was not healthy.  I am picking the Knicks.  Ill take the winner of game 7 over the Lakers.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

On 5/1/2023 at 10:06 PM, hummingbird69 said:

I can't believe it!  The Celtics pulled an Ullmark and gave the ball to the other team almost as if on purpose.  Another team with a great year choking when it counts. 

Its a strange year.  I hope the bitch ass Lakers get whalloped by Steph and Warriors.  I think Philly has a huge shot vs Boston if they can keep Embid on the court.  I have no clue about Denver.  This could be the year they finally get to West finals? Durant is too old but Booker gives them a shot. I still like the  Knicks to beat Miami

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its a strange year.  I hope the bitch ass Lakers get whalloped by Steph and Warriors.  I think Philly has a huge shot vs Boston if they can keep Embid on the court.  I have no clue about Denver.  This could be the year they finally get to West finals? Durant is too old but Booker gives them a shot. I still like the  Knicks to beat Miami

IDK about that?  With Embid back Philly got their ass kicked. They did better without him in game one.

On 5/5/2023 at 10:22 PM, Strider said:

Great win by the 🍀. Home court advantage restored. Still can't believe Embiid won the MVP.

I cant believe the Lakers blew out GS yesterday.  I hope they bounce back.  So you like Boston?  I hate them.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

On 5/7/2023 at 3:27 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I cant believe the Lakers blew out GS yesterday.  I hope they bounce back.  So you like Boston?  I hate them.  

I always root for a Lakers-Celtics Finals, if possible. Still don't think the Lakers are in the clear, even at 3-1. I have seen Golden State turn it on in a flash and they definitely can come back from being down 3-1, with two out of the next three being home games for Golden State.

Edited by Strider

On 5/9/2023 at 4:34 PM, Strider said:

I always root for a Lakers-Celtics Finals, if possible. Still don't think the Lakers are in the clear, even at 3-1. I have seen Golden State turn it on in a flash and they definitely can come back from being down 3-1, with two out of the next three being home games for Golden State.

Its 3-2 now.  I like Golden St  I hope they take them down.  Curry is my favorite player. 

7 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its 3-2 now.  I like Golden St  I hope they take them down.  Curry is my favorite player. 

Is Anthony Davis ready to go in Game 6? If he doesn't have a monster game tonight the Lakers will lose and then Golden State will win Game 7 at home.

I can't remember the last time the NBA playoffs were a complete crapshoot like this. I think only 1 of the top 3 seeds from each conference is left standing & now my Heat are advancing to the Conference Finals. Just a strange year in the NBA & I think whoever wins this Lakers/Warriors series will be the heavy favorite against Denver...

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I can't remember the last time the NBA playoffs were a complete crapshoot like this. I think only 1 of the top 3 seeds from each conference is left standing & now my Heat are advancing to the Conference Finals. Just a strange year in the NBA & I think whoever wins this Lakers/Warriors series will be the heavy favorite against Denver...

Congratulations Paul! Can you believe our two play-in teams are in the Conference Finals? I had more faith in your Heat getting through than the Lakers.

But who knew AR-15 would prove to be a deadly shooter?

But don't sleep on Denver and the Joker. I think Denver is the favourite.

So PC...which team would you rather Miami face? Boston or Philadelphia?

Who would I rather face, good question. Before the playoffs started, I would have been scared to death of playing Boston & maybe I still should be. Then there is Doc Rivers and his track record in the playoffs, and big series clinching games. Maybe my answer is, I'll have confidence in the Heat whoever wins that Game 7...

9 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Now that the Lakers have won?  I think Denver is the favorite vs old  man Lebron.  I do not think Denver has ever been to the  finals since they came over from the  old ABA.  Remember?  With the red white and blue balls?  I used to have one.  We pretended to be Rick Barry.  The Nets were also an ABA team I believe.  

23 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I just googled it, the Nuggets went to the ABA Finals in '76 & lost to Dr. J and the Nets in 6 games. Their only trip to a Finals....

I still remember Dr J and that dunk he made with only one damn step from the foul line!  It was like he was flying.  He was some kind of player was Dr J.  So yeah, a bunch of former ABA teams came over like they did when the AFL joined the NFL.  Nets, Nuggets, Pacers, are those that are left from the old ABA.  I hope Denver beats the damn Lakers.  I know Sean wants his Lakers vs Boston final.  Do you think it would turn out any different Sean?  Than a Boston win?  I still do not know how the Lakers made it this far and how Golden St got beat.  I say Thompson is a big reason . They lost game 5 because he was terrible.  Something like 3 for 15 from the field. So IMO Clay Thompson cost them.  He was gone a long time after that bad injury that allowed the Raptors to steal a title.  With that pathetic always injured Leonard who once again killed the Clippers from having a legitimate shot at winning it all. Go Nuggets  And go 76ers today. I always liked the 76ers back when they had Dr J.  Lastly, the Knicks had some season.  I think they are one star away from contending for it all.