2022-23 NBA thread...

paul carruthers

A little shocking it took this long, but here's the place to drop thoughts about the current NBA season.

My few thoughts--even though it's early, the Warriors may be in deep trouble in the West, as I'm watching them get pummeled by the Bucks. And the West is so deep, saying it's early may no longer be an excuse...

Edited by paul carruthers

I only like my home team, now that the NBA is a 3-pt shoot-out.. I miss an offense like the Kings of 2002 for example, or the defensive minded, ball-sharing Pistons. But, it's nice to know that whatever happens during the day, or what's going to happen, or the next day, that I have something to look forward to at night (and in the morning, since I usually save the 2nd half for the next morning)..

Will GS make a big trade is the question? If they aren't going to pay Draymond, they'd rather get something, than let him walk away for nothing. But again, I try to watch the games, and end up FFing to the last 2 minutes, and even during the Bulls-Hawks that went to OT, I kinda space out, even last second shots.. But I'll always watch - it's my soap opera, I guess.

I was wondering when someone would start a NBA thread for the new season. Kind of shows how interest has fallen off now that the game has essentially become a three-point shooting contest and they let players get away with traveling.

I watched my first game of the season  last night...Lakers vs. Celtics. A decent game that went into Overtime as Anthony Davis bricked two free throws that could have sealed the win for the Lakers. Instead, Lakers lose.

At least the Lakers didn't look as discombobulated as last year. But I don't think they have a playoff run in them and I don't really care as long as Russell Westbrook and LeBron are on the team. When those two leave, then maybe my Laker enthusiasm will come back.

Maybe LeBron wishes he could have gotten out of LA & gone back to Cleveland? Even with more than half the teams in the league getting a spot, I think the Lakers are toast. And the only pleasure I will derive from that is some of the talking heads like Charles Barkley & Tony Kornheiser bemoaning the fact that they have to talk about the Lakers, simply because they are the NBA version of the Cowboys.

Of course, I can't talk too much smack--seeing as my Heat are barely qualifying for the play-in tournament, right now...

On 12/14/2022 at 12:32 PM, Bong-Man said:

Piston's Cunningham out for the year.  That means I am too.

The once mighty Pistons have not been relevant in some time Bonger.  The days of Isaah Thomas and those Pistons that not even Jordan could beat.  That final between them and Portland back in the day was a real good one.  So too when they beat the Lakers.  I think this current Portland team is dangerous and I hope they win it. Well, if the Clippers or Golden State cannot. GS has a ton of problems of late.   Phoneix is hte favorite I guess when they have Booker. I cant stand them. Ill cheer for Clippers or Portland.   In the East, the Knicks are playing pretty well.  Boston is the favorite for sure.  I never liked them.  Have a good Xmas there in Motown.

Thank-you Sir.  Same to you and your family.  I miss the hatred of Bill Laimbeer!  :)   This is the longest era without a championship in the 4 major sports in Detroit history.  No fun at all.  Even the Dead Wings suck (who I never watch).

On 12/16/2022 at 9:10 AM, Bong-Man said:

Thank-you Sir.  Same to you and your family.  I miss the hatred of Bill Laimbeer!  :)   This is the longest era without a championship in the 4 major sports in Detroit history.  No fun at all.  Even the Dead Wings suck (who I never watch).

Oh I remember those days.   Bill Lambeer.  Thomas.  The Bulls and Jordan could not beat them

• 4 weeks later...

Some things of note in this years NBA  Phoenix, once the likely favorites to go deep have been losing and losing as Booker is OUT and on IR.  The Sacramento Kings have been hot until last night when they lost to Toronto.  But Toronto is not as good as they once were. Boston are the favs in the East.  The Atlanta Hawks are playing very well.  Out West again Memphis had an 11 game win streak stopped in LA, but do not be fooled.  These Lakers have NO SHOT.  Denver is on the short list of favorites now.  They are tough when they have all hands on deck.  I think Brooklyn is doing there best to save Durant for the playoffs.  And Golden State are still big players in all of this with Seth Curry an Thompson.  The Knicks are finally decent. Are in a playoff spot. I think the Wizards are the sleeper to sneak in.  Right now Denver and Memphis lead the West and Boston and Philly the East. Milwaukee, Cleveland and Brooklyn are right there. Atlanta are 7-3 in last 10 and if Trey Young shoots well they can be sleepers in the East. And the Clippers must be mentioned also.  Just murdered the Lakers. 

When jacking up 3 point shots continue to be too ridiculous--the ongoing saga of today's NBA. 

Why jack up a difficult 3 pointer from the corner, when a mid-range jumper would've tied the game with the Knicks???

At least there was some semblance of defense tonight. Depending on which night--or what game I watch--I suppose the NBA isn't totally unbearable....

The Wizards and the Atlanta Hawks are playing very well right now. Both fighting for the last spot in the East and the Knicks are barely in last time I checked?  Clippers went in there and took care of business.  I like the way the Hawks and Wizards are playing.  But both have been better on the road of late.  Especially the Wizards. 

15 hours ago, Strider said:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar went to college for four years. If he had been allowed to leave early or go to the NBA from high school, the scoring record would be far out of reach.

I remember when Lew Alcindor went to the Milwaukee Bucks and the went from worst to first in one year due to him.  They beat the Baltimore Bullets in the championship series.  I wonder how many can remember the Baltimore Bullets?  They had Wesley Unseld and Earl the Pearl before he went to the Knicks.

So after the crazy trade sending injury prone Kyrie Irving to Dallas, they are saying the winner of the trade is:  the Houston Rockets.  ?  Yes.  Due to the abundance of draft pics they somehow acquired.  Brooklyn gets rid of the pain in the ass Kyrie, a and two good defensive players to to the Nets.  The big question now is Durant.  With his friend gone, he is left to steer or scuttle the ship by himself  Word is he may be gone soon.  I am not sure how much left he has to run full court ?  So right now Denver has the best record in the West. But would you put any real money on them to get to the finals?  When healthy they are pretty good.  But the other night with one or two guys out, the T Wolves lit them up.  Golden State is still the team to fear with  Curry and Thompson IMO.  Boston in the East?  But vulnerable.  Maybe Philly?   Memphis has a shot in the West also.  My sleepers are likely the Clippers, Portland in the West and Atlanta in the East

Oi vey, were the sports networks terrible yesterday--all the Irving coverage, like he's actually going to win something without capable help. I think the one ring he does have, he won because he was playing with some kid named LeBron--I hear that he's pretty good...

As for KD, not sure I feel much sympathy for him. The 2 rings he does have he probably owes to Steph, Draymond and Klay. And if he wanted more, he should have kept his ass with that squad.

As for a Finals prediction, I'll go with Milwaukee and Denver right now....

Edited by paul carruthers

17 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Another reason I need to stop watching ESPN--all of a sudden the Lakers will go from the 13th seed to making a "deep run" in the postseason. 

On the other hand, with seemingly 26 teams making the playoffs, maybe it's not as dumb as it sounds.... :rolleyes:

The Lakers? A deep run? Bwahahahahahahaha. :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I'm not sure if "hype" is the word I'm feeling, but the regular season is finally done & the much anticipated "play-in" tournament is upon NBA fans... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, even though the NBA has become absolutely dreadful to watch, I suppose I may tune in when the real 1st round of the playoffs actually starts. I guess I'll still ride with my earlier prediction of a Bucks/Nuggets Finals & the Bucks winning in five...