Here are more than 100 previously unseen photos of Led Zeppelin performing at Knebworth Festival in 1979

Zep Hed

spacer.png

More than 100 previously unseen photographs of Led Zeppelin performing at Knebworth Festival in the UK on August 4, 1979 have been published online after the photographer Ahmed Raza shared the images with LedZepFilm and LedZepNews.

Raza’s photographs give a unique perspective on the first of Led Zeppelin’s two performances at the 1979 Knebworth Festival. They show John Bonham and his brother Mick standing on stage searching for their sister Deborah in the crowd and also show Peter Grant watching from the side of the stage as Led Zeppelin performed.

The photographs show Raza’s journey to the festival, beginning in Edinburgh, Scotland on August 3, 1979. He also photographed Fairport Convention and Todd Rundgren’s Utopia, who performed at the festival prior to Led Zeppelin.

spacer.png

Bonzo with brother Mick stage right.

“After seeing the amount of people out there, and knowing his kid sister was out there, John got worried,” Mick Bonham wrote in his 2003 book “Bonham By Bonham”. “He suggested that we ought to go up on stage and look for her. Even with the binoculars I had with me I knew it was going to be tricky, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. John and I took turns with the glasses until he had to go to get ready, but he told me to keep looking. Not being funny, but I wouldn’t have been able to find her even if I’d have had the friggin’ Hubble Telescope.”

The man on the lefthand side of the photo with his back to the camera is likely to be a Showco employee. He’s wearing a Lynyrd Skynyrd Fall 1976 tour T-shirt and a cabinet in front of the Bonham brothers has “Showco” printed on it.

https://ledzepnews.com/2024/10/16/here-are-more-than-100-previously-unseen-photos-of-led-zeppelin-performing-at-knebworth-festival-in-1979/

Full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ledzepnews/albums/72177720321235690/with/54070000146