Art Thread

Katuschka

I'm see that this thread is meant for real artists :lol: But my husband was trying to talk me into posting some of the drawings I've done of Led Zeppelin members...

Anyway, here some of them are. I did all of them in '03. Now that I look back on them, I could have done them better...each of them took me about an hour and a half, that's probably why :lol::rolleyes: (All inspired by magazine pics....)

Bonham.jpg

Bonham

Plant.jpg

Young Plant

Plant3.jpg

Bulge-y Plant

Jonesy.jpg

Jonesy

Jimmy.jpg

Skinny Jimmy...

They're great!!!!!!! The Jonesy one is really realistic!

Nice work, ZD!!! :)

An artist my father introduced to me who is now one of my favorites is Rockwell Kent. He used to live near my parent's place in the Adirondack mountains and did a lot of paintings there. He really had two distinct styles, oils and black and white (woodcuts and pencil and ink).

No one knows who he is these days, but in the first half of the 20th Century he was one of the most successful artists in the world. One of the most famous things he did was the first illustrated edition of Moby Dick. Cue up the track and check out these woodcuts:

MobyDick2.jpg

MobyDick3.jpg

MobyDick.jpg

The reason why he's not so well known is thanks to McCarthyism. Like so many liberals he was wrongfully accused. The most succesful commercial artist of his era, alongside his personal art he was doing advertisements and public commisions and book illustrations- he was a lefty, but also a CAPITALIST.

He was so insulted that in a fit of pique, he gave most of his personal archive to the Soviet Union. A certain poetic justice there- he chose to fufill McCarthy's false accusation, Kent became what he was not. And so ironically, one of America's greatest artists has far more work on display in Russian and in former Soviet Republics like the Ukraine than he does in America. Unlike Elia Kazan or Pete Seeger, Kent didn't suffer financially- his home, Aasgard Farm, was a working dairy and provided all the income he needed. Just as in the cases of Kazan and Seeger, it was America that suffered the loss of some of it's greatest art.

The largest gallery of Kent's work that still can be seen in America was donated by his widow Sally to SUNY Plattsburgh. Here are a few of the paintings that can be seen there:

dogs20resting.jpg

Dogs Resting

“…In July of 1931 Kent arrived (in Greenland, 225 miles north of the Arctic Circle)…At a polite distance from the other Eskimo houses he built one for himself…He also needed a dog team to carry him and his equipment on painting expeditions…David, an Eskimo friend, helped care for Kent’s dog team and safely guided him over the treacherous ice on painting expeditions…”

rk_1655a.jpg

House of Dread, Newfoundland, 1915 by Rockwell Kent,

"Upon a bleak and lofty cliff's edge, land's end, stands a house; against its corner and facing seawards leans a man, naked even as the land, and sea, and house; his head is bowed as though in utter dejection; and from an upper window leans a weeping woman. It is our cliff, our sea, our house stripped bare and stark, its loneliness intensified. It is ourselves in Newfoundland, our hidden but prevailing misery revealed." p. 290, Its Me O Lord by Rockwell Kent

One thing that these pics can't convey is the potency of light and color in these paintings. The first time I saw Dogs Resting in person, I literally thought it had a light on behind it shining through the painting. Fuck Thomas Kinkade, Kent is the true painter of light.

The Rockwell Kent's are awesome. I have an old copy of Moby Dick with all kinds of his work in it.

B)

True! So many great illustrations in that. The SUNY Plattsburgh currently has an exhibit devoted to them, I plan to go see it this spring.

md_133.jpg

md_213.jpg

md_223.jpg

md_322.jpg

md_323.jpg

True! So many great illustrations in that. The SUNY Plattsburgh currently has an exhibit devoted to them, I plan to go see it this spring.

md_223.jpg

That's Captain Ahab.

I didn't know he also did color. Bee-Yew-Tee-Ful!! :)

You may rely upon it. :D

I know. B)

I really, really like this. One of my favorites that you've ever posted. I'm tempted to try doing my own pencil drawing of it.

Well, go on then, try it.

And don't forget to post whatever the final result is. :D

That was actually a common way for the artist novices in 19th century France to improve their skills. Ever seen Degas' charcoal copies of Ingres? Not sure if it's a good method, but I also used to do it a lot.

I know. B)

Well, go on then, try it.

And don't forget to post whatever the final result is. :D

Alright, I'll do it, and post it. But I want to see YOU post something.

That was actually a common way for the artist novices in 19th century France to improve their skills. Ever seen Degas' charcoal copies of Ingres? Not sure if it's a good method, but I also used to do it a lot.

And I used to do it myself . . . only with comic booksugo.gif I've never seen the Degas Ingres, post it if you have it . . .

It's meant for whatever people decide to contribute with.

Anyway, good work. You definitely should have posted it earlier.

I agree! We've always had two different threads, for people's own work and for people's favorite art work. Why not combine them?

Alright, I'll do it, and post it. But I want to see YOU post something.

Oh yeah, ok, as soon as I have something to post.... :rolleyes:

And I used to do it myself . . . only with comic booksugo.gif I've never seen the Degas Ingres, post it if you have it . . .

:lol: I used to be quite proud of my copies of DaVinci's drawings.

I'm not proud of them anymore. :lol:

Oh yeah, ok, as soon as I have something to post.... :rolleyes:

Oh come on, don't rolly eye me. You're at Uni now, you think you're overwhelmed? Wait until you get into the private sector.

Sketch something between posts for an hour and it will still be better than I could do on my best day. As flattered as I am at your encouragement to draw, it should really be the other way 'round.

:lol: I used to be quite proud of my copies of DaVinci's drawings.

I'm not proud of them anymore. :lol:

Let us be the judges of that. whistle.gif

Oh come on, don't rolly eye me. You're at Uni now, you think you're overwhelmed? Wait until you get into the private sector.

Sketch something between posts for an hour and it will still be better than I could do on my best day. As flattered as I am at your encouragement to draw, it should really be the other way 'round.

:lol:

I'm not overwhelmed, quite on the contrary - this year seems like one long vacation in comparison with the last one. I'm just lazy. The only thing I did the last few months was a quick caricature on one of my professors (instead of being a good girl and taking notes...bad me, bad me).

Let us be the judges of that. whistle.gif

FINE!

leo1-1.jpg

:lol:

I'm not overwhelmed, quite on the contrary - this year seems like one long vacation in comparison with the last one. I'm just lazy. The only thing I did the last few months was a quick caricature on one of my professors (instead of being a good girl and taking notes...bad me, bad me).

Well, that's something we have in common. :lol:

I think I've seen that caricature, was it of the scot?

FINE!

leo1-1.jpg

There, you see? It's quite excellent.

Your modesty becomes you, but I'm also glad it only takes a wheedle or two to get you to post the stuff.

:D

Well, that's something we have in common. :lol:

I think I've seen that caricature, was it of the scot?

Nah, this is a new one. It was my liguistics professor this time. She's a very tiny and very old lady.

There, you see? It's quite excellent.

Your modesty becomes you, but I'm also glad it only takes a wheedle or two to get you to post the stuff.

:D

I'm not modest. I know I'm a reasonably good draughtsman. I just don't think there's any reason why I should praise my own 'talent' when there are many people who are better.

Archived