The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

I think the quacks may be back in the race for a lower seed in the playoffs. Cant count them out. They may be underated as LA may be overated.

Agreed !

I have been looking at the expert picks for this coming year. They are split down the middle pretty much between my Sabres and Boston winning the Northeast division. The Bleacher Report picks the Sabres. No other teams but those two are picked in that division. I see the Penguins, Devils mainly picked in that divisiion. I think the Devils are overated. Vancouver is picked across the board on the report except by one guy that picks Calgary. Cant see that. And then the Sharks and Kings are being picked to win that division, but I think Phoenix is dangerous too. Washington across the board and that is no surprise and they should have little trouble running away with the South. Detroit is being picked about evenly with Chicago. I pick Detroit. I think that Chicago has lost much and may even find themselves out of the playoffs. Just like Montreal. I am picking the Canadiens for dead last. Thinking the Leafs may come out smoking and bury them opening night. I hope so. My boys are in Ottawa and then the home opener with the Rangers. I have not seen a single expert pick the Rangers to make the playoffs. So where do the surprises lie? I think in the East, Toronto or Atlanta perhaps. In the West, I think St Louis will get in, but that may not be a big surprise.

Playoff picks . In no paricular order

West

San Jose

Vancouver

Detroit

Anaheim

LA

Chicago

Phoenix

Calgary

East

Washington

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Tampa

Boston

Toronto

Philly

New Jersey

It's me again! Here are my picks (no order, except for Detroit):

West

Detroit

Chicago

San Jose

Vancouver

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Colorado

Phoenix

East

Washington

Tampa Bay

Pittsburgh

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Boston

Montreal

Buffalo

Well, I almost put Calgary instead of Phoenix, but even though I think the Flames are on their way up and the Yotes are on their way down, I don't think Phoenix is going to drop off THAT much. Somebody could probably bump off Colorado...specifically, somebody from the Central Division, but I'm not sure who. They're the division I end up watching the most because of the Wings, but that's the one division I don't know what to think about. Each team has their good points...STL now has Halak, and I like the idea of Shea Weber being the Preds' captain. Bluejackets...ok, not so much. They do have Nash, but a fat lot of good that's done them in the past. Of course, I'm picking the Wings for the you-know-what if they can stay healthy, and I think Chicago will at least get into the playoffs. They've lost a lot of good guys, but there's still enough talent there to at least put them over the bottom 7 in the West.

And I'd just like to add that I hope the Ducks don't make the playoffs even though I've got them listed...barf. Or if they do, I hope they play the Wings so I can go and watch them whip up some crème de canard. Pronger and Niedermayer may have left, but man do they ever remain in spirit...Getzlaf and Perry will make sure of that, if nobody else does.

Playoff picks . In no paricular order

West

San Jose

Vancouver

Detroit

Anaheim

LA

Chicago

Phoenix

Calgary

East

Washington

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Tampa

Boston

Toronto

Philly

New Jersey

Our picks are the same with one exception. You pick Cagary and I pick St Louis instead. Tough call. As fo Footsteps below, I disagree strongly with Colorado and Montreal making it but agree otherwise. Except with the order. No way do my Sabres get the 8 seed. I hope not. But an 8 is better than none, still, think we are better than that. Ally and I picked Toronto to make it. I hope we are on track with that one? After all, we are sticking our necks out picking them. We agree that Anaheim returns to the playoffs. Even with that bum Tony Lydman. It all starts tommorow. Ill finally get the NHL Center Ice I have been paying for. Its on for free for one week iin most area's as a promotion. So make sure to check your high channels if you are a hockey fan and have direct tv. Almost time to drop that first pucki. I think the first games are Thurs. My boys are in Ottawa Fri where we are hated. Hoping we go in there and send them a message. The home opener againstt the Rangers should be a sellout. after all, the Bills look like they will be a blackout this week for first time in a long time. If the game doesnt sell out by Thurs, its blacked out within 100 miles. But you knew that already right? Thanks for postiing your picks. We are pretty much in agreement Ally. Hope our teams stay healthy and find a way to get there. Hoping for a Buffalo vs Vancouver final.

Oh, I have been going at it with some on the Bleacher Report site about the Devils. I am no convinced they will make it. I just think the writing is on the wall with their falling apart last year that they are on the decline. I could be wrong but can Kovalchuk carry this team? Mary Broduer no longer can I predict. He is getting older and showing it. Case and point, the olympics. He was yanked and my name might have been goldmedalist instead of silvermedalist if he hadnt. LOL

NHL Center ICE is free in most area's through the first weekend if you have Direct TV or cable. So You may have it and not know it as its usually in the higher station bands. Here in upstate NY it starts at channel 770 or something. The NBA does the same thing as a promotion. I bought it for the whole year.

I prefer online streams to watch my hockey. It's free and easy as hell.

Its free all the time? I know they have the live updates like on ESPN and CBS sportsline but I did not know you could actually watch the game for free? I saw a pay service one. But I would still rather have it on flat screen. But if you are somehow watching it for free, that is pretty great. I had to pay 4 payments of $42 to Direct TV for Center Ice. I can get any game anywhere anytime. I stay up late and watch games in San Jose and Vancouver. Even though I never miss a Sabres game. Downtown Toronto looked nuts last night. There will be a party in the plaza in Buffalo tomorrow night for the Rangers opener.

Yes, it's free all the time. You just have to know where to look.

I think the girl from Toronto sent me the link once but it kept freezing. Im sure you are not going to give me the link now are you Liz?:D

Come on now Liz? I already ponied up the money for Center Ice. But I am curious how it could be free. Come on Liz!!! I know you are reading. And on hidden like me. :P

Sharks on Versus right now from Europe. They just scored. I took Sharks and Sabres today!!!!

Wham. Just like that Colombus ties it. WTF?

Wings won last night AND Pavs got the Gordie Howe hat trick -- a goal, assist and fight. He knocked Cory "the Fairy" Perry on his ass. It was hysterical, especially since Pavs is NOT a fighter by any stretch of the imagination.

Modano looks like he's going to be a nice fit in that team ! They could win a ton of games with that power play

Sabres about to take the ice first time ever in new blue jerseys. Third jersey to be worn only 12 times, against the Rangers in the home opener. GO SABRES!!!!!

Sabres take the ice with the sounds of Street Fighting Man blasting.

Damn. Myerrs just gave the Rangers two goals. WTF? Need to focus.

Modano looks like he's going to be a nice fit in that team ! They could win a ton of games with that power play

I hope so. Mikey Mo looked good last night and even got himself a goal for the trouble. Granted it's the first two games of the season and there's no sense prognosticating anything, but we're already looking about 1000% better than we did last season.

Shoot out loss for the Canucks tonight but Luongo looked like the Luongo of old. Not the result we wanted but there were some positive signs. Especially the penalty kill in OT

Archived