The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

I have no idea whether or not we have one of these threads, but if we do, it died. So I'm starting a new one.

In any case, does anyone else miss the good old days when fighting was prevalent and the word enforcer had a meaning? I know I do. Speaking of enforcers, who else misses the Bruise Brothers? :D

Obviously, I'm a huge Red Wings fan and I have to say, this is some of their best hockey ever! BUt I still miss the tough guys like Joey Kocur, Darren McCarty, and Bob Probert.

Well that's just me devoting some space to the old days. Anywho, who else loves hockey? :D

The instigater rule has ruined the fighting.The little guy can hack away at will and not be afraid.

I miss the old day's of hockey. I think Probert was the greatest heavyweight of all time. I live in Vancouver and the Canucks are horrible this year.

I have no idea whether or not we have one of these threads, but if we do, it died. So I'm starting a new one.

In any case, does anyone else miss the good old days when fighting was prevalent and the word enforcer had a meaning? I know I do. Speaking of enforcers, who else misses the Bruise Brothers? :D

Obviously, I'm a huge Red Wings fan and I have to say, this is some of their best hockey ever! BUt I still miss the tough guys like Joey Kocur, Darren McCarty, and Bob Probert.

Well that's just me devoting some space to the old days. Anywho, who else loves hockey? :D

Sweet. We're killing the league. Let's hope we go all the way this year.

There will always be one player in my book..

# 16 in Hockey Town..

Vlad "The Impaler"

vlad2.jpg

vlad1.jpg

My god he was such a good hockey player. Tough as nails too

I still can't believe what happened to him. His recovery is coming along, but it was a long road to get to. I give Brett Hull a lot of credit for not taking #16 like he always had and taking #17 as 16 is unofficially reitred in the Red Wings' book

AADO006~Vladimir-Konstantinov-with-the-2002-Stanley-Cup-27-Posters.jpg

Just because I'm in a hockey mood, I looked up some lists for the 100 greatest Hockey Players of All Time

Well I came across this one

1- Wayne Gretzky

2- Bobby Orr

3- Gordie Howe

4- Mario Lemieux

5- Maurice Richard

6- Doug Harney

7- Jean Béliveau

8- Bobby Hull

9- Terry Sawchuk

10- Eddie Shore

11- Guy Lafleur

12- Mark Messier

13- Jacques Plante

14- Raymond Bourque

15- Howie Morenz

16- Glenn Hall

17- Stan Mikita

18- Phil Esposito

19- Denis Potvin

20- Mike Bossy

21- Ted Lindsay

22- Red Kelly

23- Bobby Clarke

24- Larry Robinson

25- Ken Dryden

26- Frank Mahovlich

27- Milt Schmidt

28- Paul Coffey

29- Henri Richard

30- Bryan Trottier

31- Dickie Moore

32- Newsy Lalonde

33- Syl Apps Sr.

34- Bill Durnan

35- Patrick Roy

36- Charlie Conacher

37- Jaromir Jagr

38- Marcel Dionne

39- Joe Malone

40- Chris Chelios

41- Dit Clapper

42- Bernard Geoffrion

43- Tim Horton

44- Bill Cook

45- Johnny Bucyk

46- George Hainsworth

47- Gilbert Perreault

48- Max Bentley

49- Brad Park

50- Jari Kurri

51- Nels Stewart

52- King Clancy

53- Bill Cowley

54- Eric Lindros

55- Busher Jackson

56- Peter Stastny

57- Ted Kennedy

58- Andy Bathgate

59- Pierre Pilote

60- Turk Broda

61- Frank Boucher

62- Cy Dennedy

63- Bernard Parent

64- Brett Hull

65- Aurel Joliat

66- Toe Blake

67- Frank Brismek

68- Elmer Lach

69- Dave Keon

70- Grant Fuhr

71- Brian Leetch

72- Earl Seibert

73- Doug Bentley

74- Borje Salming

75- George Vezina

76- Chuck Gardiner

77- Clint Benedict

78- Steve Yzerman

79- Tony Esposito

80- Billy Smith

81- Serge Savard

82- Alex Delvecchio

83- Cecil Dye

84- Lorne Chabot

85- Sid Abel

86- Bob Gainey

87- Johnny Bower

88- Sprague Cleghorn

89- Mark Gartner

90- Norm Ullman

91- Sweeney Schriner

92- Joe Primeau

93- Darryl Sittler

94- Joe Sakic

95- Dominik Hasek

96- Walter Pratt

97- Jack Stewart

98- Yvan Cournoyer

99- Bill Gadsby

100- Frank Nighbor

Now really...Eric Lindros is better than Steve Yzerman? And whats with Nick Lindstrom and Brendan Shanahan not even being on the list?

Also curiously absent: Luc Robataille, Ron Francis, Doug Gilmour, Peter Forseberge, and Pavel Bure among others

This is why I dislike lists...they normally suck

There's no way the Maple Leafs will fold. They are one of the Original 6 teams. The Red Wings went through some real shitty years in the 70s and 80s, but they're still kicking.

Also known as the Dead Wings era...not one of our glorious moments :P

The Captain changed all that B)

There's no way the Maple Leafs will fold. They are one of the Original 6 teams. The Red Wings went through some real shitty years in the 70s and 80s, but they're still kicking.

If the fans would stop going they would. Do you realize how long the leafs have sucked? They haven't won the cup since 1967!!!!! They had two years in the early 90's where they came close to the finals. And they had a great period in the late 70's with Darryl Sittler, Lanny Mcdonald, Borje Salming and a few other but that's it since 1967.

The Blackhawks have been in the shitter for years, too. Luckily, they're showing signs of life with Bill Wirtz being dead, and his son now the chairman. John McDonough is a PR mastermind, and I like Denis Savard as the coach. They've got some good young talent they can build around, hopefully.

Go Sabres!!!

Last year... game 5 vs the rangers... one of the best games in NHL playoff history

gotta love Rick Jennerette's reactions!!! still gives me goosebumps whenever I watch it

Still mad we let Drury and Briere go... but i think we will be in the playoffs at like 7 or 8 seed

Hi all,

Yeah since 1968,played street hockey eveyday.What a great sport.Thanks Canada! :thanku:

But drummer,I have to say IMVHO,fighting has ruined the sport.

I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!
:D

Before the 1980 Olympics there were every few US players in the NHL,when what happened US and others from around the world got into the sport and the thing exploded.

In the Olympics,you throw knuckles you get thrown out.So you got to play and that takes skill.How many fistacuffs did the 'Great One' get into?Not many I'll wager!Bobby Ore?What is he remember for?Pounding someones head in?Eh?

The NHL today? It's holding on by the skin of their teeth. That great snow game in Buffalo,highest rated game in a decade,........let them play.

IF you want to see a fight,watch MMA,........boxing,or go to this dive I know,...

KB (with all due respect)

Go Habs Go!!

We're playing against TO tonight, if it's a win, we're first in the division!! :cheer:

and btw, Montreal's the #1 Hockey Town, not Detroit, even though you got a killer team for a few years now!

Put that in your hash pipe and smoke it, Detroit! ^_^

And yet we're nationally called Hockeytown, not Toronto :whistling:

Just remember who's been the better team for...well around 2 decades now ;)

Shall we compare notable players? We win in that category as well with Mr. Hockey leading the way :D

Put that in your pipe and smoke it ;)

Hi all,

Yeah since 1968,played street hockey eveyday.What a great sport.Thanks Canada! :thanku:

Before the 1980 Olympics there were every few US players in the NHL,when what happened US and others from around the world got into the sport and the thing exploded.

In the Olympics,you throw knuckles you get thrown out.So you got to play and that takes skill.How many fistacuffs did the 'Great One' get into?Not many I'll wager!Bobby Ore?What is he remember for?Pounding someones head in?Eh?

The NHL today? It's holding on by the skin of their teeth. That great snow game in Buffalo,highest rated game in a decade,........let them play.

IF you want to see a fight,watch MMA,........boxing,or go to this dive I know,...

With all due respect it's Orr, not Ore ;)

Secondly, I disagree. Hockey is known for its rough-tough gameplay. Simply having skill and technique is great, but enforcers can change a game and grind out the opponent. They were and intricate part of teams. Look at the Red Wings' famous Grind Line: Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, and Darren McCarty (replaced Joey kocur). None of those three guys are superstars by any means. McCarty is known for his fists and a hat trick he had in the playoffs...thats about it. Maltby hasn't ever scored 20 goals in a season and is more known for his solid checking ability. Drapes is simply fast. This subpar line was able to wear down the "Legion of Doom" consisting of three very talented players: John LeClair, Eric Lindros, and Mike Renberg. McCartys aggresiveness and Maltbys checks were perfect compliments to Drapers speed and they wore Lindros and Co. down and made them much less effective.

Now, I'm not saying enforcers were the determining factor in games, skill has always been important, but to say it ruined the sport is IMHO a bit strong. Fighting and toughness have always been a part of the game. Even back in Gordie Howe's day. Let's face it, if checks all of a sudden weren't allowed, who would watch it? If the NHL wants a comeback, it needs to start encourgaing enforcers again. They've said that their changes brought in more attendance...but thats probably an outright lie seeing as how the Red Wings haven't had a sold out game this whole year...and thats after selling out every game for the last 4 or 5 years.

Fighting won't ruin the sport. It could end up saving it

edited because I called LeClair McClair for some reason

Hi all,

With all due respect it's Orr, not Ore ;)

Secondly, I disagree. Hockey is known for its rough-tough gameplay. Simply having skill and technique is great, but enforcers can change a game and grind out the opponent. They were and intricate part of teams. Look at the Red Wings' famous Grind Line: Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, and Darren McCarty (replaced Joey kocur). None of those three guys are superstars by any means. McCarty is known for his fists and a hat trick he had in the playoffs...thats about it. Maltby hasn't ever scored 20 goals in a season and is more known for his solid checking ability. Drapes is simply fast. This subpar line was able to wear down the "Legion of Doom" consisting of three very talented players: John LeClair, Eric Lindros, and Mike Renberg. McCartys aggresiveness and Maltbys checks were perfect compliments to Drapers speed and they wore Lindros and Co. down and made them much less effective.

Now, I'm not saying enforcers were the determining factor in games, skill has always been important, but to say it ruined the sport is IMHO a bit strong. Fighting and toughness have always been a part of the game. Even back in Gordie Howe's day. Let's face it, if checks all of a sudden weren't allowed, who would watch it? If the NHL wants a comeback, it needs to start encourgaing enforcers again. They've said that their changes brought in more attendance...but thats probably an outright lie seeing as how the Red Wings haven't had a sold out game this whole year...and thats after selling out every game for the last 4 or 5 years.

Fighting won't ruin the sport. It could end up saving it

edited because I called LeClair McClair for some reason

I should have know better about the spelling about Orr :mellow:

That said how is popularity and revenue and the financial status of the NHL today?

Checking,sure fine part of the game,how is taking someones head off make this sport more popular,not with the die-hard fans but could be fans?

Hockey town,NOT selling out?That stinks.And maybe the Bruins will make the playoffs(fingers crossed!)

Also why is International hockey still more popular than the NHL and that NHL players want to play it?

Brawls? Ah,...no,....

Take care drummer and pount dem skins! :D

KB (I was thinking iron ore,no really,...)

B

Fighting hasn't ruined the sport,the instigater rule is ruining the sport.

And The Great One didn't fight because Dave Semenko beat the shit

out of anyone who got within 5 feet of Gretzky.

Peace Bro

Hi all,

I should have know better about the spelling about Orr :mellow:

That said how is popularity and revenue and the financial status of the NHL today?

Checking,sure fine part of the game,how is taking someones head off make this sport more popular,not with the die-hard fans but could be fans?

Hockey town,NOT selling out?That stinks.And maybe the Bruins will make the playoffs(fingers crossed!)

Also why is International hockey still more popular than the NHL and that NHL players want to play it?

Brawls? Ah,...no,....

Take care drummer and pount dem skins! :D

KB (I was thinking iron ore,no really,...)

The popularity and financial status of the NHL has decreased significantly since the 90s. The lockout and the whole "leaving ESPN" deal really takes away hockey from the regular fan.

And yes, fighting is very popular and I'd bet more people would go to the games to see another Bob Probert. Thats why whenever there is a fight in a game, everybody (and I do mean everybody) stands up and cheers. It's fun to watch. Who didn't have fun watching Darren McCarty knee Claude Lemieux in the face for what he did to Kris Drapers face (worst cheap shot ever)? It's fun. It's that sense of fighting spirit that gives hockey its toughness.

And are you referring to the International Hockey League or International Hockey as in world hockey? The former is not more popular than the NHL. It's more of a farm league for wannabes and new guys or old people who are looking for practice (i.e. Darren McCarty who is trying to get back to the NHL through the Red Wings' IHL team the Flint Generals.) But if you mean world hockey, than I'm going to have to simply say you're wrong. The NHL is still the most popular the the premier hockey league in the world. That's why so many people come to North America to play hockey. Just look at all the Russians and Swedes who leave the Elitserien (Swedens league) and the Russian Super League (Russias League) to come play for the NHL. It's about hockey, not fighting you're right. But it's still a great part of the game.

Archived