Robert Randolph & The Family Band

Deezer

These guys are so fun. Funky songs, great playing, a big party at their shows. Man I love these guys! What do you think of Robert and the gang?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5X8LB6nBl4

Thanks. You are becoming one of my favorite posters at this site. 1. I love pedal steel guitar. 2. I've read many articles about Robert and they all are flattering. Next time he is in DC I am going to a show.

Well, if you like that, let me give you a little more!

Deliver Me music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lissdIckly4d

Ain't Nothing Wrong With That - live on Letterman

Ain't Nothing Wrong With That music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JllmLlz-UP4...feature=related

Going In The Right Direction music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xja6GuGqk3Y

The March from Crossroads 2004

Nobody from Crossroads 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WSAokhtRXI

Shake Yo Hips from Harding University 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF4lFFo18Lg

Interview

A little more jammy than I like but there's absolutely no denying Robert Randolph's prowess on the pedal steel. I first heard of him a few years ago through a special on NPR's Morning Edition about Sacred Steel, the use of pedal steel guitar in the church. Of course Robert soon branched out and was opening for the likes of Dave Matthews but there are still some artists out there very worth looking into that are into the Sacred Steel thing such as The Campbell Brothers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Recently discovered them on Myspace.......better than Living Colour and similar to another HUGE funky rock band Mother's Finest!! :)

I can't say I hear any similarities whatsoever between Robert Randolph and Mother's Finest.

Robert Randolph Recording With T-Bone Burnett

randolph_robert_01l.gif

Robert Randolph

John Benson, Cleveland

Currently on a summer jaunt opening for Eric Clapton, Robert Randolph tells Billboard.com there are plenty of new albums and tours in his mix.

First is the follow-up release to Randolph's 2006 effort "Colorblind." However, unlike his star-studded last album, the new disc -- which is produced by T-Bone Burnett, currently untitled and due out in September -- finds Randolph both figuratively and literally embracing his roots.

Click here to read the remainder of the article.

I can't get into him, saw him open for the Black Crowes and after 3 or 4 songs all I could think was "make it stop". Part of that could have been due to they cut the Drive By Truckers set short and then RR came on and played 60 minutes of wanky (IMO) steel jams. After a while it sounded like one long song.

Robert Randolph Recording With T-Bone Burnett

randolph_robert_01l.gif

Robert Randolph

John Benson, Cleveland

Currently on a summer jaunt opening for Eric Clapton, Robert Randolph tells Billboard.com there are plenty of new albums and tours in his mix.

First is the follow-up release to Randolph's 2006 effort "Colorblind." However, unlike his star-studded last album, the new disc -- which is produced by T-Bone Burnett, currently untitled and due out in September -- finds Randolph both figuratively and literally embracing his roots.

Click here to read the remainder of the article.

Badass. I'd really like to see where this is going.

I can't get into him, saw him open for the Black Crowes and after 3 or 4 songs all I could think was "make it stop". Part of that could have been due to they cut the Drive By Truckers set short and then RR came on and played 60 minutes of wanky (IMO) steel jams. After a while it sounded like one long song.

I caught a good part of his set during the Austin City Limits Music Festival a few years ago and walked away with much the same impression. Still, I think he can fuckin' wail on the pedal steel, I'm just not into the lengthy jams (even though I'm a Grateful Dead fan).

I've probably mentioned this before but Robert Randolph rose out of the Sacred Steel scene. I first heard about him during a segment that aired on NPR's Morning Edition several years ago. That was when he was still playing in the church and his music hadn't yet taken on the "jammy" nature that it has today. If you like that sort of stuff I highly recommend the Campbell Brothers, who you can learn more about here. You can also see a clip of them live in their element here. I'm admittedly not real big on most forms of gospel music but I LOVE this variety. If it doesn't have you up dancin' in the aisles and testifyin' (believer or not), something's the matter with ya.

In search for my new fave Sonny Landreth, I came across this. Not the best quality but there in fact are the Cambell Brothers.

AWESOME. Love the steel!

In search for my new fave Sonny Landreth, I came across this. Not the best quality but there in fact are the Cambell Brothers.

AWESOME. Love the steel!

Thanks for that clip, BUK. That looks like it was a great show. I love the sound of the steel guitar accompanying whatever sort of electric guitar Sonny is playing there.

Jafin mentioned hearing NPR's piece, "Sacred Steel" - I have discovered so much new music and learned about different musical genres by listening to NPR.

Jafin mentioned hearing NPR's piece, "Sacred Steel" - I have discovered so much new music and learned about different musical genres by listening to NPR.

Now that I have XM I can't say I listen to NPR that much (if at all) anymore but I do enjoy XNPR. They also have Bob Edwards, who used to host Morning Edition.

Now that I have XM I can't say I listen to NPR that much (if at all) anymore but I do enjoy XNPR. They also have Bob Edwards, who used to host Morning Edition.

Ah, I miss Bob Edwards. Now that we're permanently settled back here in the U.S., my husband and I are probably going to finally get XM.

Ah, I miss Bob Edwards. Now that we're permanently settled back here in the U.S., my husband and I are probably going to finally get XM.

As an avid radio listener it's been very worth it to me. I only have it in my car but recently signed up at their website so I can take full advantage of my subscription so I can listen online.

I went to the Clapton concert in Toronto on Tuesday...unfortunetely I was late and missed most of his set. Luckily it was an outdoor venue so I got to hear about 3 songs while waiting in line...sounded pretty nice B)

I was there too! I found that although he is good, I didn't really like his stuff. Although, his cover of Voodoo Child was great.

Archived